How much total time is too much?

You may also structurally have the equivalent of a 207 tail. Had a long discussion with a gentleman at Oshkosh about all the things the FBI did to the fleet. Do you by chance still have the original FBI radio stack in there?

Nope on the radios. They're sitting on my bench if you need spares...but... we did notice that comm 2 was willing to transmit on some frequencies that it shouldn't have been willing to before it was removed. Please PM if you would, ref your OSH conversation...sounds interesting!

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled topic...

Jim

By the way, how does a plane built in 1970 have only 3,000 on it? That's only about 5 or so hours per month or about 60 hours per year.. I would assume that people who go through the expense of purchasing an airplane would fly it a little more than that...

I'd have to look this up again but I seem to recall the average utilization rate is something like 17 hours per year? That average I presume includes a lot of registered planes that don't fly at all. At our airport, about half the based planes buy zero fuel in a year...and its not like they are buying it elsewhere. Most of these planes are sitting in a hangar or flying at most a handful of hours a year. Some of these planes are otherwise nice specimens, but are deteriorating due to lack of use. We offer a hangar rebate for the first $960 of fuel and not everyone uses it!?That's a lot of free flying!

There are a whole lot of airplanes out there that do not fly 60 hours a year. I would say a very large proportion of light singles fly 2-3 hours a month. One weekend a month they go for a burger run, and then maybe once a year there's a trip 4 hours each way.

I have known a lot of people who would buy airplanes and fly them 100 hours the first year, 75 the next, 50 the next, and then 20 per year until they get tired of the expense.

I'd have to look this up again but I seem to recall the average utilization rate is something like 17 hours per year?

^kind of sad, isn't it? I guess that's true of a lot of toys. You see big beautiful RVs in people's driveways that never move and the wheels are flat. Boats that spend the whole year tied down in a marina.. etc.

Back