How much time can elapse between required landings?

phil@webfam.org

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Phil
I'm working on my commercial certificate and ran across this requirement in CFR 61.129(a)(4)(i): "One cross-country flight of not less than 300 nautical miles total distance, with landings at a minimum of three points, one of which is a straight-line distance of at least 250 nautical miles from the original departure point." I've flown numerous trips from my home in west Michigan to NY, NJ, VT, NC, MN, etc. (all far greater than the 250 miles) but I don't think I've made one with three landings in one "flight". In each case I've flown there, spent an overnight, a few days, or a week, and flown back and some of those I've stopped at another airport on the way there or back. So for a specific example does it count to fly 600 nm to Teterboro, spend 4 days, then on the way back spend the night at Franklin, PA, and then return home?

The following two documents state that a pilot may choose what is considered a flight and what is a segment of a flight. Your flights with overnight or multi-day stays would presumably meet the requirements (and as far as can be seen, the intent) of the regulations, and chief counsel opinion appears to allow you the appropriate latitude to log them as such.

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...louis glenn - (2009) legal interpretation.pdf

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...9/van zanen - (2009) legal interpretation.pdf

I'm working on my commercial certificate and ran across this requirement in CFR 61.129(a)(4)(i): "One cross-country flight of not less than 300 nautical miles total distance, with landings at a minimum of three points, one of which is a straight-line distance of at least 250 nautical miles from the original departure point." I've flown numerous trips from my home in west Michigan to NY, NJ, VT, NC, MN, etc. (all far greater than the 250 miles) but I don't think I've made one with three landings in one "flight". In each case I've flown there, spent an overnight, a few days, or a week, and flown back and some of those I've stopped at another airport on the way there or back. So for a specific example does it count to fly 600 nm to Teterboro, spend 4 days, then on the way back spend the night at Franklin, PA, and then return home?

Same deal with me

I flew from IN to WA and used that for my 300nm, night and a few other requirements for my CPL.

Rules don't specify that you can't overnight or stay a few days,you are still completing the trip the key is the 250 mile leg.

Rules don't specify that you can't overnight or stay a few days,you are still completing the trip the key is the 250 mile leg.

The "leg" does not have to be 250miles long, just that the farthest airport you touch from "home" is at least 250miles from where you start.

Probably for a good reason. As pilots sometimes need to delay for hours or overnight due to unexpected weather on long trips.
:yeahthat:

In my case, I had to stop on my way back for weather on an intended one-stop flight from LA to San Francisco and back. Thanks to the weather stop, I was able to count it...

Back