How much of an airplane geek are you?

Tristar

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Tristar
I'm not sure about you guys but I haven't quite figured out if I'm airplane obsessed or just have a prop for a brain. What do you think?

Yes, this is actualy on my car.

I had one on my car until one of the blades broke... I'm gonna get another one at OSH this year. They're great!

I have a die cast metal Matchbox Cessna Caravan on floats dangling from my mirror. :)

I have a die cast metal Matchbox Cessna Caravan on floats dangling from my mirror. :)
I have a ton of airplane toys at home I collected but since I've been here, I've gotten two Matchbox citation X replicas, the caravan, and a cessna 172 I actualy brought from home.

My license plate frame was actualy a birthday present from one of my friends.

I'm a bad example for my daughter; we constantly try to keep her toy count low, but I have so many airplane toys I look like a hypocrite. I've been better lately, I'll pass over new ones in the store with just a twinge of angst.

I'm not sure about you guys but I haven't quite figured out if I'm airplane obsessed or just have a prop for a brain. What do you think?

You're obviously airplane obsessed. I, on the other hand, have PA lic. plate on my truck, "RH PILOT", as in "Rotorcraft Helicopter", as in rating, which doesn't make me geeky in the least. Even if my car has the plate "RH FLYER".

Even if my truck has a decal saying "DANGER BEWARE OF HELICOPTER PILOT".

Here is the back of my pick-up.

Attachments

• 101_0904.jpg
    101_0904.jpg
    637.8 KB · Views: 89
My car has a "Jet Fuel Only" decal on it. I was going to go for 100LL, but the Jet decals were nearby. heh.

ive got the Jet Fuel Only on the gas door, and an "Id rather be Soaring" bumper sticker

Isn't she the perfect girlfriend?

That prop thing is great... I might have to find one of those, but then my girlfriend might never get in my car again. I don't have any aviation-related things on my car... yet. Maybe once I get my PPL, then I'll start getting those things.

That prop thing is great... I might have to find one of those, but then my girlfriend might never get in my car again. I don't have any aviation-related things on my car... yet. Maybe once I get my PPL, then I'll start getting those things.

Thing is, the prop is always windmilling.. QUICK! ENGINE OUT PROCEDURES! OH NO, YOU'RE AT 0 AGL!!! :D

Tristan, how well is your prop holding up?

Today, I asked the owner of a shop down at PDK about them. He said he ordered a dozen sometime back. Several buyers returned them as they can't hold up the vibration at highway speeds. (Highway speed inside of Atlanta is 80+MPH)

They look pretty cute but might be worth a few more bucks to hold up much better.

Mine lasted a good two years of significant driving at or above 80... was fine. I think what finally did it in was the freeze/thaw cycles it got.

Tristan, how well is your prop holding up?

Today, I asked the owner of a shop down at PDK about them. He said he ordered a dozen sometime back. Several buyers returned them as they can't hold up the vibration at highway speeds. (Highway speed inside of Atlanta is 80+MPH)

They look pretty cute but might be worth a few more bucks to hold up much better.
Mine was a gift. It's holding up well but has only been on about a week

LOL oh wow, now theres a coincidence! I like the one with star wars better. :D

Kind of an old song but still neat.

Mine lasted a good two years of significant driving at or above 80... was fine. I think what finally did it in was the freeze/thaw cycles it got.
Just take it to your favorite prop shop... say it desperately needs harmonic balancing and bearings installed. :)

If you ever get rear ended you'll be able to display a matching impression on your face. Then everyone will know you are obsessed with airplanes.

I installed a TCAS in my car yesterday, but for some reason it didn't warn me about that guy that cut me off...

To answer that question would assume facts not in evidence. :rolleyes:

Don't tell me your wife answers questions with objections! I thought *I* was the only one who did that.

Lawyers! :D

Well, nothing on/in the car (yet! Just got it) but on my recent vacation to Southern Calif. what did I do? On days when I wasn't flying (got my tailwheel endorsement :goofy:) I did things like visit the CAF Air Museum at Camarillo..... visit the Planes of Fame Air Museum in Chino..... (seperate trip) visit the Yanks Air Museum in Chino..... spend the day driving/wandering around the Van Nuys airport...... total over 1000 pics of the above!

Until I repainted my truck, I had the AVGAS ONLY sticker above my fuel door. I also bought that pack of stickers for placarding a cockpit and stuck them all over the inside of my truck. "Do not open in flight" over the doors, "12V DC" over the battery guage, "Start -->" on my starter switch.

I'm a dork.

I'm pretty much a total airplane geek but I've been that way for so long it feels very natural to me. My geekiness started at about age five and is still affecting me today. I can't hear an airplane (literally!) without looking up. I can't drive by an airport without stopping to watch takeoffs and landings although I'm not pretentious enough to grade them. I don't have any aviation related stickers or whatnot on my truck but I do keep the keys for the Mooney and my hanger in the drink cup holder. Although having just said that I should probably stop doing it. I was out at the airport this AM for a short hop and was really happy to see several of my hanger row-mates out there too with their kids....washing planes, flying around on a beautiful day and just enjoying the fun that you can only have at an airport. The coolest was watching my office compadre Steve taxi by in his Cherokee with his daughter Noelle in the right seat. It gave me a chuckle to see her wearing a pair of aviator sunglasses, a pair of David Clark headseats and flashing me the "thumbs up" sign as they passed the wash rack. Steve's a geek....Noelle's a geek....

Last edited:
I installed a TCAS in my car yesterday, but for some reason it didn't warn me about that guy that cut me off...
I once saw a 430 for sale on eBay. I was desperately hoping the price would stay down to the few hundred showing. That would make such a cool installation in my Jetta! :D

Don't tell me your wife answers questions with objections! I thought *I* was the only one who did that.

Lawyers! :D
If your wife has an idea that is merely plausible but not likely... do you tell her it's "supposition"? :)

No question about it:

59343960.jpg

I'm pretty much a total airplane geek but I've been that way for so long it feels very natural to me. My geekiness started at about age five and is still affecting me today. I can't hear an airplane (literally!) without looking up. I can't drive by an airport without stopping to watch takeoffs and landings although I'm not pretentious enough to grade them. I don't have any aviation related stickers or whatnot on my truck but I do keep the keys for the Mooney and my hanger in the drink cup holder. Although having just said that I should probably stop doing it. I was out at the airport this AM for a short hop and was really happy to see several of my hanger row-mates out there too with their kids....washing planes, flying around on a beautiful day and just enjoying the fun that you can only have at an airport. The coolest was watching my office compadre Steve taxi by in his Cherokee with his daughter Noelle in the right seat. It gave me a chuckle to see her wearing a pair of aviator sunglasses, a pair of David Clark headseats and flashing me the "thumbs up" sign as they passed the wash rack. Steve's a geek....Noelle's a geek....
That reminds me of a part of a song I know off of Song Pilot. "...as I taxi to the tiedown with a grin a mile wide, getting smiles and grins from every space as I pass by, its like no other feeling I've known..."

I once saw a 430 for sale on eBay. I was desperately hoping the price would stay down to the few hundred showing. That would make such a cool installation in my Jetta! :D
If you're able to put a 430 in your car...I'm gonna start sending you my christmas list!

If you're able to put a 430 in your car...I'm gonna start sending you my Christmas list!
:rofl:

It started at four-hundred and change. It ended at ten times that. I only had a pipe dream. :(

About that same time, I got a lesson in eBay pricing on Icom handhelds. I saw people bidding on a used radio and paying nearly the price of a new radio. I suppose egos get in the way of reasonableness at times. I wonder how much that has happen with the airplane sales on eBay?

:rofl:

It started at four-hundred and change. It ended at ten times that. I only had a pipe dream. :(

About that same time, I got a lesson in eBay pricing on Icom handhelds. I saw people bidding on a used radio and paying nearly the price of a new radio. I suppose egos get in the way of reasonableness at times. I wonder how much that has happen with the airplane sales on eBay?

That's why I always research ahead of time how much I want to spend on something used, place my bid as that (since eBay will increment for you), and walk away. Getting into bidding contests leaves you open to the bid shilling that I fear a lot of eBay sellers do.

Also, regardless of how much you may want a 500$ Garmin 430, the guy in Romania will not send you one of his "surplus inventory" if only you'll wire him the cash. ;)

That reminds me of a part of a song I know off of Song Pilot. "...as I taxi to the tiedown with a grin a mile wide, getting smiles and grins from every space as I pass by, its like no other feeling I've known..."

There's another song called "I'm a pilot" but the taxiing in part goes something like "When I'm taxiing in, do whatever it is you do.. You can do a dance, pull down your pants, I don't care I'm not even looking at you!"

:p

I consider myself an airplane geek. I have the usual airplane toys, pictures, etc. But I want one of these to be the ultimate airplane geek:

From Google Sightseeing, Airplane shaped pools:

Miami, Florida

New Jersey

China

Back