How much money do you need to enjoy flying after PPL?

jconway2002

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
jconway2002
What do most people do after getting their PPL? Join a club? Fly for fun for an hour? Take weekend trips? How much does the average Joe spend on flying a month after getting their PPL?

How much do you spend or will it take?

Easy, all of it...

I fly about 150 hours a year. I've found if I don't calculate it, or try to justify it, I feel better.

I know that's not what you are looking for but it's what works for me. My kids get fed and I take care of other stuff that comes first but still have a ton of fun flying. You can't fly a 401k or an IRA.

I'll probably work till I die but i'm going to have a hell of a time on the way.

After I got my PP I just looked at the smoking hole that used to be my savings account. So make sure you leave money in the budget not only for training, but flying afterward. I started renting here and there, a little at a time. Eventually, I started to network and found other opportunities like clubs, or other arrangements. It's all part of the community of pilots you join when you get that PP.

What do most people do after getting their PPL? Join a club? Fly for fun for an hour? Take weekend trips? How much does the average Joe spend on flying a month after getting their PPL?

All of it :)

More seriously if money is a limiting item for you look at joining a club. Make friends with other pilots that you can fly with and split costs. Look at joining a CAP squadron if one is available in your area. If it make sense tax wise look at getting involved in Angel flight so you can write off some of your costs. Heck get involved in Angel flight in any case, it's a good thing. There are lots of way to get in the air and keep the costs under control. There are also lots of way to spend every penny you have plus some. It depends on what you want to do.

Thanks for the replies.

I am excited to get my license, but afraid that either I will go broke after receiving it or never use it. I hope it opens a new world to me. I envision myself making new friends, and taking lots of trips with said friends.

Thanks for the replies.

I am excited to get my license, but afraid that either I will go broke after receiving it or never use it. I hope it opens a new world to me. I envision myself making new friends, and taking lots of trips with said friends.

You can have a whole lot of new friends from this board if you aren't careful!

From where do you hail?

Cool - you should start hearing from some San Diego folks soon!

I've got a great Warrior you can buy, for only 30K. It does not matter what you do, or how you go about doing it, aviation is going to get your money, one way or another. Whatever you think you want to spend per year, or how much you can afford, you should be pretty close if you double that figure.

What airport are you based at, where'd you get your training?

John

How much money have you got, that should about do it!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Welcome to PoA.

It's more a question of what you don't do vs. what you do, for those that keep doing it.

To keep a running PoA joke going...

If you buy an RV, you start training on how to do overhead breaks. ;) ;) ;)

So - as a pilot who has spent most of time until recently scrounging pennies to fly, I can give this advice:

Do not plan on how much to spend flying. You will just talk yourself out of it. Instead, when you want to fly, if you have enough money, do it. If you don't, do not go flying. You'd be surprised how often you can fly that way.

Note that I flew for a few years gaining ~100 hours a year on a salary of less than $35K a year. I don't think you'll find many salaries below that.

+1 to finding a CAP squadron. Civil Air Patrol C172's here in Hawaii are $90 an hour wet, I believe.

Reality? Most people quit flying not too long after their PP. They did it for the challenge and find it's pretty short on useful function; quite a limited selection and pretty expensive. If you stay with it you'll look at a minimum of $500 a month if you're active.

They also buy a place on a nice waterfront property in the 300-500 mile range and fly the family out on weekends, that's a pretty popular use as well as visiting grandma and grandpa. But most of those people aren't like you, they don't ask, they knew they had a purpose for aviation before they started. Mine was transportation commuting on and off an island.

Yep, all of it. If you want to actually fly places, that is.

Thanks for the replies.

The response to all of your thoughts and concerns is " Yes you will"

There's a formula:

MR=MA*AAI, where:
MR is defined as Money Required
MA is defined as Money Available
AAI is defined as Aviation Addiction Index, a number never less than 1, and with no known maximum.

Thanks for the replies.

Flying for my family is not a hobby, it is a lifestyle choice. Whatever your financial situation, the story is the same: you will happily spend all the discretionary funds at your disposal on aviating. Pity the sap who can afford to pay cash for a G5 but has no time to become proficient in flying it. Most billionaires just go along for the ride, but you, the pilot, you are the one with the metal feathers! Only you can know the difference between the experience of making the leap into the atmosphere happen and just taking a ride. So how much money is that difference worth? Why, all of it of course.

I rented for six years before buying a share in an airplane. If there are any clubs around you I suggest that is the best way to remain proficient and to increase your skill. All the while keep your dream alive and scrape and save what you don't need to fly now for the downpayment on your own flying machine. You have already made new friends and will most certainly meet more. Aviators have spontaneously formed a wonderful subculture. Once you enter it's fold you will have difficulty imagining not being a part of it.

Flying for my family is not a hobby, it is a lifestyle choice. Whatever your financial situation, the story is the same: you will happily spend all the discretionary funds at your disposal on aviating. Pity the sap who can afford to pay cash for a G5 but has no time to become proficient in flying it. Most billionaires just go along for the ride, but you, the pilot, you are the one with the metal feathers! Only you can know the difference between the experience of making the leap into the atmosphere happen and just taking a ride. So how much money is that difference worth? Why, all of it of course.

I rented for six years before buying a share in an airplane. If there are any clubs around you I suggest that is the best way to remain proficient and to increase your skill. All the while keep your dream alive and scrape and save what you don't need to fly now for the downpayment on your own flying machine. You have already made new friends and will most certainly meet more. Aviators have spontaneously formed a wonderful subculture. Once you enter it's fold you will have difficulty imagining not being a part of it.
Many years ago I kept my plane in Harrison AR for a summer while I taught sailing on Table Rock Lake. I had a deal to trade ramping/fueling duties a few weekdays a month for hangar rent. One day a beautiful old straight tail 182 lands for fuel and I recognize the pilot because he was on the current Newsweek cover, Sam Walton. I came up to fuel him and said "I'd figure you'd be flying a G-IV (The G-V was not yet in existence IIRC)". His response was "Yeah, we got a couple of them and a few others, but I can't do with them what I can with this.", "What's that?","When I'm figuring out where to put a new store, I go fly around the general area for the day and watch the traffic patterns, that's how I determine what property to buy." I thought that was pretty nifty.

Not to bust your little dream-world bubble, Doc, but the guys who own the G-V's aren't seeking or needful of any pity. I've traveled the world in them, sometimes as PIC, sometimes riding in the back. Both seats have their talking points. If you think not, ride along when we're looking for Ireland into a rising sun at 3 am and the boss is sound asleep on the bed in the back.

And the guy in back thinks he and not the guys who work for him is the one with the metal feathers, because the wings take him where he wants to go and when.

I've flown numerous domestic G-V trips for and with a sports-team owner from Dallas, and don't think he has ever even looked in the cockpit, let alone spent any time there.

Pity the sap who can afford to pay cash for a G5 but has no time to become proficient in flying it. Most billionaires just go along for the ride, but you, the pilot, you are the one with the metal feathers! Only you can know the difference between the experience of making the leap into the atmosphere happen and just taking a ride. So how much money is that difference worth? Why, all of it of course.

Before I got my PP, there were a few things I wanted to do once I got it. Though I'm still working on the list, so far, I've flown off to a vacation weekend, numerous scenic flights, 100 or so people introduced to aviation (mostly via EAA Young Eagles), north to Eastport Maine twice, many meals out on Nantucket, over 500 hours and now working on helicopter transition.
I belong to two aviation clubs and manage to make a few meetings and events a year. Since they are both based over 50 miles away, the plane gets me there and back. The tough one is when the meetings are off airport.
I'd like to fly into an airshow, land at Logan Int., and visit family in Florida.
The plane has a fixed cost of fuel, insurance, tiedown. Maintenance is variable just like your car. There's times it's $1000 a year and there's times it's $10000 a year. When a tire can cost you $300, or a landing light $100 or more, you can see where the costs all over.
I figure it is $100 an hour for me to fly. I'm usually 50-60 hours a year, though this year I'm heading for a much higher number. Not quite 10 a month, but better than 5.

Not to bust your little dream-world bubble, Doc, but the guys who own the G-V's aren't seeking or needful of any pity. I've traveled the world in them, sometimes as PIC, sometimes riding in the back. Both seats have their talking points. If you think not, ride along when we're looking for Ireland into a rising sun at 3 am and the boss is sound asleep on the bed in the back.

And the guy in back thinks he and not the guys who work for him is the one with the metal feathers, because the wings take him where he wants to go and when.

I've flown numerous domestic G-V trips for and with a sports-team owner from Dallas, and don't think he has ever even looked in the cockpit, let alone spent any time there.

No kidding, same running their yachts. I may be captain and along for the trip, but they're Admiral.

Many years ago I kept my plane in Harrison AR for a summer while I taught sailing on Table Rock Lake. I had a deal to trade ramping/fueling duties a few weekdays a month for hangar rent. One day a beautiful old straight tail 182 lands for fuel and I recognize the pilot because he was on the current Newsweek cover, Sam Walton. I came up to fuel him and said "I'd figure you'd be flying a G-IV (The G-V was not yet in existence IIRC)". His response was "Yeah, we got a couple of them and a few others, but I can't do with them what I can with this.", "What's that?","When I'm figuring out where to put a new store, I go fly around the general area for the day and watch the traffic patterns, that's how I determine what property to buy." I thought that was pretty nifty.

I thought Walton flew a 310. There was an AOPA article on it if I recall.

Doesn't mean he didn't have a 182, but I would have thought they'd have mentioned it in the article.

Fascinating guy. He's had to have about burrowed all the way to China from rolling over in his grave -- with what his kids did to his company.

I think if you can afford to fly 10-20 hours a year, that might not be alot of hours, you could try to make the most of them by going on small but memorable trips rather than staying in the pattern. In my world, 10-20 hours a year = $1100-2200 in rental fees. Maybe less if you are lucky enough to have access to a cheaper plane.

I thought Walton flew a 310. There was an AOPA article on it if I recall.

Doesn't mean he didn't have a 182, but I would have thought they'd have mentioned it in the article.

Fascinating guy. He's had to have about burrowed all the way to China from rolling over in his grave -- with what his kids did to his company.

We talked a bit more, it was my impression that he had a stable of planes and was a very enthusiastic pilot. Perhaps he took his 182 due to the proximity to Bentonville, it was a gorgeous example.

I am a club member http://www.valleyfliers.com/ and spend about $100 an hour per yr. I am blue collar and recently my wife lost her job so money has tightened up. I still find a way. Before learning to fly I rode dirt bikes and raced cars. Neither were really any cheaper. Cars especially, can cost as much or more than a small plane. If you can afford to learn , you can afford it. Dave,

I've got a great Warrior you can buy, for only 30K. It does not matter what you do, or how you go about doing it, aviation is going to get your money, one way or another. Whatever you think you want to spend per year, or how much you can afford, you should be pretty close if you double that figure.

What airport are you based at, where'd you get your training?

John

I plan to start taking lessons from Grey Eagle at Palomar airport within the next week or so...maybe ill buy that airplane after. :wink2:

Some good posts here guys! I am feeling confident I can fit flying into my lifestyle now. Cant wait to join you all in the air!

P.S. Any of you have significant others who refuse to fly with you?

P.S. Any of you have significant others who refuse to fly with you?

Yeah - sort of. She's just not into flying, so it's nothing personal against me or any other pilot. My kids like riding along, though. I have to remind myself that not everyone is looking forward to climbing into a small airplane with someone they might see as an ameteur. So try to act as professional and courteous as you can when you have a non-pilot passenger. It gets frustrating when it's a nice day, and you ask your friends if anyone wants to tag along for a fun flight and nobody does.

Yeah - sort of. She's just not into flying, so it's nothing personal against me or any other pilot. My kids like riding along, though. I have to remind myself that not everyone is looking forward to climbing into a small airplane with someone they might see as an ameteur. So try to act as professional and courteous as you can when you have a non-pilot passenger. It gets frustrating when it's a nice day, and you ask your friends if anyone wants to tag along for a fun flight and nobody does.

Get used to it. Many people won't climb into a small plane even if Chuck Yeager were the pilot. It is not a reflection on you, it is just sometimes an emotional response, or perception of danger due to a number of societal factors.

I've had some co-workers/friends telling me they want to fly with me, then refuse, or come up with an excuse when the time actually comes. Then again, I've had pure strangers jump in and go at a moments notice.

It's generally not a comfortable experience for folks who are not aviation enthusiasts. People are conditioned to the airline experience. ironically, I find that experience much more painful than stretching my legs across both sides of the cockpit as I fart along at 110knots, on a good day.

I'm sure one could replicate the airline experince in bigger much more expensive rigs, but this is the "how much money..." thread after all, the presumption is we're talking about piston singles with shag carpet, curtains and "FAA adults" shoulder room. lol

Get used to it. Many people won't climb into a small plane even if Chuck Yeager were the pilot. It is not a reflection on you, it is just sometimes an emotional response, or perception of danger due to a number of societal factors.

I've had some co-workers/friends telling me they want to fly with me, then refuse, or come up with an excuse when the time actually comes. Then again, I've had pure strangers jump in and go at a moments notice.

Oh, I'm used to it. And I understand it. But it's still funny how frustrated I get when I know how much I would have begged for a flight and then see someone else turn one down.

I would love to spend a couple hours a week or every other week flying - if I could find the time!

My own personal aviation budget is about $500/month at the moment - but I'm actually spending less than that lately due to work and weather getting in the way.

(During training I was spending an average of about $1000/month for a period of about 9 months.)

I went from 90 to 350 hours on restaurant pay before I became employed as a pilot by buying into a club that owned a 150. $3,000 buy in and $12/hour Dry to fly it. If there are similar clubs in your area, I highly suggest looking into it. You may just be able to fly more by doing it too. I know if I had to rent for all of my hours, I'd be just barely instrument rated at best because of money.

Last edited:
People are conditioned to the airline experience. ironically, I find that experience much more painful than stretching my legs across both sides of the cockpit as I fart ...

Wow! You really are going for a better experience than the airlines!

...along at 110knots, on a good day.

Oh. Nevermind. ;) ;) ;)

Back