How much information is too much information?

Stegoo_86

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Stego_86
Hey All,

Going through some things in order to gather my class 3 medical. I'm prescribed an SSRI (Zoloft) which deferred my medical. Instead of going off the meds, I decided to first try to fight it while staying on the SSRI. I have been proactive in locating a HIMS AME, contacting my "Board Certified Phycisrist", and reaching out to my records for my COG test, etc... I haven't even received my notice in the mail yet, but I've read enough to know to be prepared. I do not suffer from some crippling disorder that would challenge my decision-making ability. I'm in frequent contact with my prescribing doctor, and I started the medication on my own accord after speaking with my doctor. I was not REQUIRED to be on any medication.

My underlying condition is OCD with GAD, obviously, these are issues that the FFA takes seriously, but I have been on this med for 2 years and work totally fine. I started taking the med to help manage stress from life events and work, I was never in a state of "I can't function without this," nor was I ever in any place of serious distress or psychosis. Just stress from work, that's it.

So, with that being said, I'm reaching out to a HIMS AME to get on the ball. I wanted to know what I should or shouldn't say. Personally, I just want to be transparent with everything, but I've also read to not volunteer any additional information that hasn't been asked.

Also, for context I am a PPL and had a medical back in 2004, I was unsure of the basic med and messed it up by going for my class 3, what's done is done, just got to move forward.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Being less than honest with a HIMS AME you eventually contract with will not end favorably for you.

Being less than honest with a HIMS AME you eventually contract with will not end favorably for you.

Absolutely understand and follow that! I certainly want to be fully honest, just didn't know if I should go all in and tell my whole story without being prompted. But your response clarifies that for me. Thank you!

Absolutely understand and follow that! I certainly want to be fully honest, just didn't know if I should go all in and tell my whole story without being prompted. But your response clarifies that for me. Thank you!
Do a consultation visit and be completely open.

If this is the right AME for you
  1. He or she will be willing to do a consultation visit before the real “official” exam
  2. As a result of the consultation, you will be provided with a fair assessment of can you achieve and maintain a medical
  3. As a result of the consultation, you will have the exact steps needed to apply and eventually be granted your medical
  4. You will learn if this AME is willing to be your advocate through the entire process
If any of the above is a negative outcome, then you may need to seek a different AME

Do a consultation visit and be completely open.

If this is the right AME for you
  1. He or she will be willing to do a consultation visit before the real “official” exam
  2. As a result of the consultation, you will be provided with a fair assessment of can you achieve and maintain a medical
  3. As a result of the consultation, you will have the exact steps needed to apply and eventually be granted your medical
  4. You will learn if this AME is willing to be your advocate through the entire process
If any of the above is a negative outcome, then you may need to seek a different AME

Great advice, already searching and making a list. Thank you!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back