How much have you gotten away with?

kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
A quart sized ziplock bag seems impossible.

I don't want to check my luggage.

Argh.

What about deodorant? Mascara? Soap? Are those liquids? I can't fit it all and really don't want to make anyone drive me to a drug store to buy my shampoo and conditioner in Philadelphia.

Have you gotten away with a bigger than quart sized bag? Can I just put the sort of kind of liquid deodorant in my carry on and hope they don't notice?

What about the pocket knife on my keys and a 3-blade razor?

I used to love going to the airport.

What a pain.

Grumble.

Argh.
THIS is why I want to use my PPL to never fly commercial again. I've been told (by pilots, of course) that it's unrealistic. Maybe. But I'll get as close as I can. And no, that's not the reason I'm getting my license.
What about deodorant? Mascara? Soap? Are those liquids? I can't fit it all and really don't want to make anyone drive me to a drug store to buy my shampoo and conditioner in Philadelphia.

Have you gotten away with a bigger than quart sized bag? Can I just put the sort of kind of liquid deodorant in my carry on and hope they don't notice?
Deodorant - I pack gel in my bag, they've never questioned it probably because it looks just like solid or whatever on the X-ray. Mascara - don't worry about it. Soap - if it's liquid, get a little 2-3 oz. travel squeeze bottle from Wally World. That's what SWMBO and I use for stuff.

I have not had the quart-size bag out of my carry-on for the past several trips, and they've never seemed to notice or care. HOWEVER, it varies a lot by airport, by day, time of day and whether there are big enough jackasses running the scanners. Hell, they can't even decide whether it's 3 oz or 100ml (3.4oz) max some days.
The razor, no problem. The pocket knife -- yeah, good luck with that. I had one jackass swipe my little utility tool one time, after I'd flown cross country with it for six months. And once one of them decides he thinks it's verboten -- there's pretty much no way to fight it without being subject to the Moron's Inquisition. This guy decided it was "a knife, because it has something that could be a knife blade, and all knives are prohibited." Sigh.

Check this out for help:

http://blog.tsa.gov/2010/05/tsa-2010-summer-travel-tips.html

Answers to common questions: Stick deodorant is not limited to 3.4 oz or less, but gel or spray deodorant is. Powder makeup is fine. Common size facial cosmetic and medicinal products in a tube, for example mascara, lip gloss, and lip balm are not required to be placed in the 1 qt. bag​

Deodorant--depends on what kind. Roll-on or gel are liquids. I went to a solid to deal with the issue.

Mascara--Oon't use it myself, but I've never seen one anywhere near the allowed 3.4 oz. max.

Soap--again, depends on what kind. Bar soap is okay, but each bottle of liquid/gel soap (and conditioner) is limited to 3.4 oz.

Safety razors with any number of blades are okay. Knives of any size are prohibited--could be used to scratch your way through the hardened cockpit door.:rolleyes:

Personally, I prefer travel-size toiletries because they take up less space.

Whether or not you can get larger sizes past the TSA depends on the airport; the time of day; the screener's competence, incompetence, or feelings that day.

I get through the cockpit door by ASKING TO. I plan to, again, this trip. The pilots tell me they would rather see me at the end of the flight when we reach our destination.

I've come up with a sneaky solution:

Found some small tortillas in the fridge. The bag measures roughly the same as the TSA guidelines (quart). However, it is slightly bigger and fits my sunscreen.

I will try what you all suggested - keeping my makeup in my makeup bag and not counting it as part of the ziplock contents.

Most of it is in tiny containers anyhow.

Thanks,

Kimberly

You probably could've shipped it (FedEx/UPS) to the hotel as well. :) I shipped all my clothes and stuff to my sister when I was visiting her for a week. Just walked on the plane with a little carryon/purse. :)

They usually miss my toothpaste (3 oz size), deoderant, and pretty much everything else I put in. They've missed 20 oz soda bottles before.

THIS is why I want to use my PPL to never fly commercial again. I've been told (by pilots, of course) that it's unrealistic. Maybe. But I'll get as close as I can. And no, that's not the reason I'm getting my license.

It's realistic so long as you allow an appropriate amount of time and don't have a tight schedule. I almost never fly commercial.

I've given away two or three pocket knives when I was traveling a lot because I'd forget to put them in my suitcase.

Just be prepared to loose anything NOT in the Zip lock including the mascara. I'd have an empty regulation quart bag in a pocket somewhere.

I'm on a tighet packing requirment too. I get 10lbs for EVERYTHING including my headset and the clothes on my back... Ok a little more then 10 but I'm aiming for 10 so I can make sure to be under the max weight on Sunday too :yesnod::lol:

Truly I love this as it's been a while since I've done something GA related for pleasure in a while... even if it's just packing for weight and balance.

Last edited:
Kim- If you try and be sneaky someone may get their panties in a bunch and make it miserable for you causing you to miss your flight, etc. They can get ornery really fast!

The hotel will probably have shampoo and conditioner...you could call and ask, that would leave you some extra space.

I have had my mascara taken from me.

A cheap "leatherman" with the knife removed was taken because of a rounded top little saw blade. It had been traveling all over with me but that one time it couldn't get out of GRR.

I was going to ship ahead to a hotel the things I didn't want to have in my carry on. We were delayed getting in to DTW and missed the flight. Long story short, I never made it to the destination. Because of bad weather across the country and flights being delayed all over, Brad drove to get me. Had I shipped ahead, I doubt the hotel would have shipped my stuff back. Shipping to someone you know though is very handy!!!

Lately, it's been both ways, ziploc bag must be removed- or- it's ok if it's in an outside pocket or towards the outside of your bag and not buried.

Last time thru the scanner it showed something in my back pocket. I had nothing there. The gal argued with me. I started pulling out my pockets but hard to do with back ones on your jeans. She patted me down and then sent me over where they wiped my hands and then scanned what they wiped me down with, and checked my bag.

Traveling commercial anymore is all over the board. Some TSA never check a thing, some pull you aside cause they can.

So-- have a nice flight and we'll see you tomorrow.:rofl:

This lady here should be able to tell you about the rules.

one_flew_over_the_cuckoos_nest-1162.jpg

When I was flying a lot, I used to keep a wallet full of stamps, they'd mail anything you wanted to not dispose of. Don't know if they still offer that "service"

Kim- If you try and be sneaky someone may get their panties in a bunch and make it miserable for you causing you to miss your flight, etc. They can get ornery really fast!

The hotel will probably have shampoo and conditioner...you could call and ask, that would leave you some extra space.

I have had my mascara taken from me.

A cheap "leatherman" with the knife removed was taken because of a rounded top little saw blade. It had been traveling all over with me but that one time it couldn't get out of GRR.

I was going to ship ahead to a hotel the things I didn't want to have in my carry on. We were delayed getting in to DTW and missed the flight. Long story short, I never made it to the destination. Because of bad weather across the country and flights being delayed all over, Brad drove to get me. Had I shipped ahead, I doubt the hotel would have shipped my stuff back. Shipping to someone you know though is very handy!!!

Lately, it's been both ways, ziploc bag must be removed- or- it's ok if it's in an outside pocket or towards the outside of your bag and not buried.

Last time thru the scanner it showed something in my back pocket. I had nothing there. The gal argued with me. I started pulling out my pockets but hard to do with back ones on your jeans. She patted me down and then sent me over where they wiped my hands and then scanned what they wiped me down with, and checked my bag.

Traveling commercial anymore is all over the board. Some TSA never check a thing, some pull you aside cause they can.

So-- have a nice flight and we'll see you tomorrow.:rofl:

Hey Diz glad you're coming too!

During the last three years I have traveled a lot and I have never used the bag nor have I taken any of my toiletries out of my suit case. The only time I was questioned was in Kansas City where they didn't like the hair gel. I pointed out that it was only half full and didn't exceed the limits. They let it go through. I have been back through KC several times since and never questioned. I guess it all depends on the TSA agent.

During the last three years I have traveled a lot and I have never used the bag nor have I taken any of my toiletries out of my suit case. The only time I was questioned was in Kansas City where they didn't like the hair gel. I pointed out that it was only half full and didn't exceed the limits. They let it go through. I have been back through KC several times since and never questioned. I guess it all depends on the TSA agent.
It really does. They made us pitch a 2/3 empty tube of toothpaste one time -- because it originally held 3.5 ounces. It's a complete crap shoot. You want some real fun? Pack a thick book, like a FAR/AIM or an English-German dictionary in your carry-on. Apparently on the X-Ray it looks like a block of something that goes boom. We had to drag the books out at every checkpoint, especially in Europe.

Argh.

I used to love going to the airport.

What a pain.

Grumble.

Small sizes of EVERYTHING carryon. Under 3 oz. I've never been bothered about mascara. Shampoo and conditioner just buy when you get there, it's a 15 minute errand. Use stick deodorant just for this trip - you can get small travel sizes at any grocery store.

Regular razor not a big deal if the blades don't come out. No idea about the pocket knife.

I actually don't mind the restrictions all that much, it has made my luggage a lot lighter. Even for a ten day trip you don't need a full size anything. Travel size works fine.

ps. I wonder if they are "tougher" on women than guys. Guys don't need all the crap we women schlep - toothpaste and deod and they are all set.

When I go to my place at the beach, I pack next to nothing because I leave everything (everything) at the house. I pack clothing, and that's it (I even have a laptop full time at the beach). I always get questioned about "where are the liquids" and the answer is "I don't have any".

Last edited:
It really does. They made us pitch a 2/3 empty tube of toothpaste one time -- because it originally held 3.5 ounces. It's a complete crap shoot. You want some real fun? Pack a thick book, like a FAR/AIM or an English-German dictionary in your carry-on. Apparently on the X-Ray it looks like a block of something that goes boom. We had to drag the books out at every checkpoint, especially in Europe.

The corn meal I use to make my corn bread can only be found in parts of Mississippi, anytime I'm there, I snag a few bags to bring back with me... This creates TSA fun.

I don't ever take my mascara on trips.....:D But my wife and I never check bags, even going to Europe as we rent houses with laundry facilities. While it can be a pain sometimes, the 3oz rules just means we buy needed items when we arrive, although most two to three weeks stays do not exhaust the 3oz travellers, except for toothpaste and sometimes contact lens solutions.

Always fun trying to get to one of my races with all the powders, gels, potions and other paraphernalia ... have manged to do it all in carr-on, but now ship gel ahead.

If you can't pack for a standard weekend using just a quart-sized baggie ... :rolleyes:

ps. if you wear contacts, this is a good reason to only use daily wear. No schlepping of solution.

My wife and I purchased a small bronze bust from the Musee du Rodin in Paris and at Schipol in Amsterdam when my carry on went through the x-ray it revealed a small white block in the middle of the bust. Oh boy! They passed it through several times, inspected our paperwork and questioned us for several minutes. I was at a loss, they had never seen anything like it. But they were very friendly and eventually shrugged and decided it let us take it since what ever it was, (we arrived at a theory it was a block of lead to add "heft" to the item ), was totally encased in bronze. We flew home from Seattle in our plane, and I shudder to think what the geniuses at TSA would have done.

The TSA really loved my Finisher's Metal from the Tinkerbell 1/2 marathon. TORE my bag apart to find it..

images

Next time I'm just wearing it!

Practical advice: SFO and PHL are notorious (and not in a good way) for different reasons.

SFO uses contractors to do security according to TSA rules. The head of TSA has made it clear that he doesn't like contractors. Therefore, the TSA tends to put more scrutiny on SFO (for example, at SFO they will demand that you verbally state your name loudly as they examine your boarding pass). This extends to examining your Freedom Baggie (or 4th Amendment Baggie, whichever name you prefer) carefully.

PHL has a bad reputation for going beyond the rules. Last year they detained a woman who had a couple of checks written on her/her husband's joint checking account that she was going to deposit in another joint account in the city she was traveling to. They thought she might be stealing the money, so they called her husband and interrogated both of them. There are other stories, too. I think it was Philly where they were gigging folks who didn't have a factory-printed label on bottles with the amount the bottles hold.

So... if I were you, I'd do my best to stay within the limits at those airports. You may be OK or not.

I travel a LOT - and I do 7-10 days in Europe wiith just a carry-on. My quart bag contains toothpaste, lens cleaner, hand santizer, hotel-sized bottles of lotion, and stick deodorant. The stick deodorant technically doesn't need to be in there as it's solid, but the TSA at IAD harassed me a couple of times claiming it was a gel (what part of "Dry Stick Deodorant" can't they understand?).

When on the road, I use hotel shampoo, soap, lotion (I carry some in case they don't have any at the hotel), and similar toiletries. For long trips, I'll buy laundry soap (sometimes the hotel has it, sometimes not, but part of the fun is doing the local shopping experience) & other toiletries I might need.

Razors - either the cheap disposable twin-blade "Bic" type or electric - are OK outside the baggie. They won't even look unless you have a straight-blade (ouch!). Scissors may be a big deal, and scissor-like nail cutters will likely raise questions. Small nail clippers generally are not an issue (though I had some confiscated by airport security in Greece).

I think both airports are using the strip-search machines (aka body scanners), so be prepared. I won't go through the backscatter units - they use ionizing radiation, which is cumulative - and end up getting groped on a regular basis. The millimeter-wave machines are generally not harmful, especially if they have automatic target recognition.

The TSA really loved my Finisher's Metal from the Tinkerbell 1/2 marathon. TORE my bag apart to find it..

images

Next time I'm just wearing it!

A cow-orkers wife took this one of these her carry-on back to Qatar...

attachment.php

12 inches tall, stainless steel, weighs quite a bit. And the tip is actually reasonably sharp. :dunno:

Attachments

• hfta_small.jpg
    hfta_small.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 185
I don't want to hear any complaints on a quart bag being too small

I was given a weight limit of 220 lbs... gives new meaning to essentials. Me and everything on the table is 219 the clothes I'm wearing tomorrow are included. :D:D:D:D

Truely I am really really really happy to be able to bring all of this... last year given the same weight limitation, I had to make the drive of shame.

Attachments

• DSC00216.JPG
    DSC00216.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 41
Save the hassle, drive or take the train. Trains are great, you can sleep on them.

Or, another approach is to get in line directly behind someone they would never, ever, profile. They will be so busy not profiling them, you'll just get cursory scrutiny before being waved through. This is a good method to use if your packing.

-John

Remember, only gel's or liquids need to go in the bag. Solids (soap), and plastic items (combs, brushes, toothbrushes, floss, razors, etc) can go somewhere else.

Not unrealistic in the slightest, just expensive; if you need to cross the Pacific it gets really expensive.:eek:

Last edited:
Going through security depends on time of day and the attitude of the passengers. I've managed to go through at the start of most peoples shifts (I like to think) and have not had any really big problems. I've had my camera bag hand searched several times. My companion has been "targetted" several times for a closer scan. She had two unopened containers of J&J baby powder that the local TSA had issues with. They were both 16 oz bottles of "liquid".
She has also had issues at Heathrow when a spot check at the gate required her carryons to get hand searched. After totally destroying the hour's packing job she had done on the carryons, the agent complained she was holding up the line as she tried to repack everything.
It isn't just OUR TSA. They act the same all over. Some are considerate. Some are just doing their jobs. Some go out of their way to be JERKS! Though some don't deserve it, a little respect will go a long way.
I've gone through with all kinds of stuff that never got looked at and might not have passed screening. There was a netbook in one bag. Lens cleaner in the camera bag. Eye drops and nasal spray in my pocket.
It all depends.

OK I am back. Piece of cake. Changed it up on my way back (only non-makeup liquids in the bag, bag stayed in my carry-on (didn't take it out), and makeup liquids in my purse (mascara, foundation). No issues. The guy on the way back said "next time" I can't stack the iPad and the laptop - they need separate bins. But he didn't re scan one at a time, it was a warning.

The only reason it was a piece of cake for you was cuz you used a tortilla bag. It's true. :yesnod:

Probably true. Oh and on the way back the CAPTAIN got out of his chair to let me sit in the chair. I was looking for the yoke when he took this picture (hint, they don't have a yoke in the Airbus):

7237455790_08046bf3d7_z.jpg

I didn't know that they don't have a yoke. Interesting. Wonder if the lucky tortilla bag got you in that seat? You never know. Stranger things have happened.

I didn't know that they don't have a yoke. Interesting. Wonder if the lucky tortilla bag got you in that seat? You never know. Stranger things have happened.

Near my left hand, hidden, is a small stick.

You can't see it in the photo.

I didn't want to touch his stick but I felt OK touching the other stuff.

I work for Delta on the ramp at PIT, I have to go through security every day. They finally found this in my wallet after about a week. Oh well, only cost $.79

ST71.jpg

Back