How much does a terabyte cost?

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
My co-worker and I have just hit the wall of frustration and we'd like to kick some IT guy right where he needs it. I need a terabyte of disk space. My co-worker and I each generate about 4 gb per day and the files need to hang around for awhile before they are pruned, archived, and deleted. With the storage we have, 20 gb, we have to prune every couple of days. Today we are on our knees trying to find every bit of space possible. I have been told that
1) We'll get 10 tb soon and 1 tb will be mine.
2) We cannot afford ...

We're just about ready to offer management to chip in and BUY the d--n drives!!! What does it cost?

I just bought a 500GB SATA drive for my home pc last week. It was 89.00 at Best Buy

Just got this:
Peg,
Thanks. I just spoke to Rob and even if we bought the terabyte drive, they will not install it. We're not allowed to bring in our own hardware to be used for work purposes (not that we have). Multiple managers have made requests for more disk space, and they don't have the manpower to perform all of the space requests. Rob is currently interviewing candidates. And, btw, he also doesn't take bribes either :)

Regards,
followed by a colleague stating, "Bernie has 300 gb free and is willing to let you use it."

I think screaming helps.

Company hamstrings employees (over minimal cost, essential tools).
Employees cannot perform; plus, employees get frustated by situation.
Company suffers ill effects of their mismanagement.

Any questions?

I understand your frustration, I really do. I also understand that you can swing out to Best Buy and pick up a 1TB drive for like $70. That said, you must understand that it is not that simple.

Where is that 1TB drive going to go? Obviously it's going to have to go into some hardware of some sort. You don't just deploy 1TB external hard drives all over your company as there is no way to control that data. Nor is there a way to ensure it's reliable. Nor is there a way to backup that data and get it off-site.

You also don't go and start buying cheap 1TB external NAS drives and use that for any sort of enterprise storage. It won't be reliable. It won't be fast enough. Plus it'll become a MAJOR management nightmare having random storage systems deployed everywhere.

Now you start talking about having to maintain backups of that 1TB drive. Let me tell you, backing up 1TB off a slow hard drive is not an easy task. Getting it off-site isn't an easy task either. That stuff all requires MONEY and a strategy.

Generally you look at the requirements your business faces which vary from business to business. For example, your IT department might be having to meet security standards that your CLIENTS require. Plus a bunch of other standards depending on the business you do. Those security standards will simply make it impossible to just deploy random cheap hardware all over the place.

Based on the above requirements you come up with a storage strategy that provides reliable, secure, fast storage. Your entire backup system is generally based around this specific storage system. If there is a failure it can be handled because you've put a lot of thought into it.

For example, to get 1TB of enterprise storage from Netapp, you'd probably be paying THOUSANDS of dollars per terrabyte. We're not even talking about the costs of backing that up, which could easily be that all over again. You also tend to buy in increments larger than 1TB which is probably why they gave you answer A.

Yes there are cheaper storage systems out there but the cheaper your storage the SMARTER your software has to be. Often the applications that enterprises must run are not SMART they simply require the storage be available at a common location.

I tend to try and roll out custom storage solutions using cheaper consumer hardware to reduce the costs of expensive systems like Netapp. But it still isn't free and still takes IT labor. There are some situations where you simply must use an expensive enterprise storage system.

I hate being the IT guy that can't always give people what they want RIGHT now. I also acknowledge that there are IT departments that make things difficult for their employees. Keep in mind that it's not always as simple as it may appear to you.

If budget is an issue - I'd suggest you work your way up through your management. They should be able to get IT the money.

Last edited:
Jeez.

a 1tb external is almost trivial in cost.

You can (and should) get a terabyte-plus NAS (Network Attached Storage) in a RAID configuration (meaning, it has redundant disks, which is mo' better) for well under $500.00.

Examples:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152205

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822165130

For a small business solutions like that work great. For larger businesses you simply can't do it. Imagine trying to maintain 100 of those sprayed all over different offices where anyone can simply lift one and walk out the door. You'd never be able to meet any of the security standards larger businesses must meet.

Now imagine trying to back up tons of those all over the place and get those backups off-site. It'd be unmanageable.

Please keep in mind that it's not always trivial or advisable to use cheap storage in the enterprise.

I will agree that your employer does need to provide you with the storage that you need to do your job. That said, while you can get 1TB disks for < $100 nowadays does NOT mean that it costs your company < $100 to add 1TB of storage to whatever they're using to store your files.

I have this discussion all the time with clients that can't understand why we care about how much storage space they use when they can drive down to Fry's and buy a disk for cheap. To add 1TB of storage to our SAN costs about $10,000. That said, it's the fastest, most reliable storage money can buy...and we have to put in two of everything so that it's always available. If you go down and buy a $100 disk and they plug it in...who's going to back it up? How mad are you going to be when it fails under load (because it will)? Etc...

I'm not trying to make excuses for your IT guy. As I said before, they need to provide you with whatever you need to do your job. Just trying to explain why it's not as easy as most people make it out to be.

The passive-aggressive solution to this is to track your time spent archiving old data over the course of the week, and present the annual costs of NOT having proper network storage for your raw data. If the data is at all critical, and worthy of the solutions Jesse is discussing, I would also include the time spent creating said data, so that management can contemplate its potential loss on your workstation's disk drive, and the cost to recreate same.

Any manager worth his hairpiece will find those dollars to be a good investment, and will part the bureaucratic red sea for you, making himself look clever in the process. Then again, if I knew any IT managers worth their hairpiece, I'd probably still be in the IT workforce. :D

Jesse has some good point and presents the IT guys issues pretty well. After years of dealing with hospital IT guys I have a few suggestions.

• Get your manager involved.
  • Have a plan for security and backup procedures.
  • Personally, I would go for 2 1T drives that work as network storage devices something like: this one for $149
    • Security - keep them in a locked office for physical security, and encrypt all data
    • Backup - what I do is to alternate the drives so almost everything has 2 copies, one might be a version off. So data on these drives are your responsibility for backup.
    • Backup - anything you need IT to be responsible for goes on existing drives.
  • Provide access to these drives similar to your current computers so privacy, and security audits can be done.
Bottom line is go to IT with a plan that says we can meet current requirements for data security and patient privacy, our manager agrees it's necessary, and it will be less rather than more work for you.

Good luck Peg. If it gets too frustrating volunteer to man the IT help line for a day. Then the issues that are frustrating you will be much more palatable.

Joe

Thanks Jesse, Jason, Mike, and Joe. Right now, I'm copying about 17 gb of static images from my server onto the borrowed one. It should take about an hour. Then make some shared drives and we can start work again.

As to the issues you brought up:
backups: Not a issue. My files are not backed up. They are very dynamic and for the most part I only keep them until I can analyze them. Only final results are retained and archived.

speed: Absolutely essential. The wait time for the image server is my second most costly delay.

management: I went to them first nearly a year ago.

security: I suppose that a competitor might want to see them, but figuring out how to use them would be quite a challenge.

privacy: Everything I use is anonymized. Even to the point that my mammograms are labelled as 50% M and 50% F.

Equallogic enterprise stuff starts 12K- 20K. The company can stick everything on it and devote volumes of dedicated space to certain employees.

I guess it depends on the type of company you work for and how much they value productivity of their employees versus bureaucracy .
I have always been able to do a simple of analysis of the cost of my time versus getting me the hardware I need so I can work more efficiently. Works every time for me..

One $70-$100 dollar 1 terabyte hard drive versus x number of hours of lost productivity every y number of days

Last edited:
Back