How much do you fly to remain proficient?

Re: Baron & slip

Personally, in a total electrical failure in IMC, the last thing I'd want to do would be waste a bunch of power dropping my gear. I'd much rather just save the energy for the instruments that can get me to the runway. Gearing up is the least of my concerns.
Well this guy was foolish. He flew along for 30 minutes "troubleshooting" the low voltage light. He needed a boost from our FBO to get ti started, and the inspector found two bad cells in the 24V array in the post inspection. Sigh.

However a guy with a PBaron can cheap out on an admitedly $400 battery....

He's shopping for a VLJ now...

However a guy with a PBaron can cheap out on an admitedly $400 battery....

He's shopping for a VLJ now...
And then he'll have 2 $1000+ batteries to neglect :rolleyes:

Personally, in a total electrical failure in IMC, the last thing I'd want to do would be waste a bunch of power dropping my gear. I'd much rather just save the energy for the instruments that can get me to the runway. Gearing up is the least of my concerns.

With a portable GPS and one or more air driven gyros you can fly just fine without electrical power. For that matter the gear can be lowered manually but it takes more time than what's available after breaking out on short final so assuming the pilot knew he was low on electrical power the prudent thing to do would be to lower the gear manually before starting the approach. The only downside to that would be a nearly impossible go-around if one engine quit but that could be mitigated by choosing an airport where you could be certain of a landing out of the approach.

...which is why the lesson includes the pilot trying to put the gear down while hand flying it under the hood.....otherwise he will react just like this guy did....with the same result.

I think that 50 hours a year is about the least the average light GA pilot can fly and maintain adequate proficiency to be safe in day VMC conditions.

Most private pilots I know that just fly for fun only do about 25 hrs a year, including myself.

With a portable GPS and one or more air driven gyros you can fly just fine without electrical power. For that matter the gear can be lowered manually but it takes more time than what's available after breaking out on short final so assuming the pilot knew he was low on electrical power the prudent thing to do would be to lower the gear manually before starting the approach. The only downside to that would be a nearly impossible go-around if one engine quit but that could be mitigated by choosing an airport where you could be certain of a landing out of the approach.

It all depends on the equipment in the airplane..and the conditions. Personally, I wouldn't be too interested in trying to shoot an ILS to minimums with no nav radios and nothing but a 396. It'd be extremely difficult and rather risky.

So, if I was going to have to take an ILS in, I wouldn't bother with messing around wasting power on gear. Once I broke out I'd drop try and drop teh gear. (runway permitting).if they go down great..if not..oh well.

lancefisher said:
so assuming the pilot knew he was low on electrical power the prudent thing to do would be to lower the gear manually before starting the approach.
I just cannot agree with that statement :D If I needed an ILS to get in, I'd have little interest trying to shoot that on the 396 I have (I've tried. It is tough), therefore there is simply no way I'd waste power on gear.

If I had time to crank it down in advance..I'd do that.

Last edited:

There ya go.

So here's a guy who launches with a known deficiency into IMC, continues after his low voltage light, doesn't put down the gear (elec. or by hand) while he's got altitude and time, and resigns when he breaks out.

And do you think he's EVER cranked the gear down for practice?

OH WELL.

It all depends on the equipment in the airplane..and the conditions. Personally, I wouldn't be too interested in trying to shoot an ILS to minimums with no nav radios and nothing but a 396. It'd be extremely difficult and rather risky.

I think we're confusing each other. I wouldn't plan on flying anything to mins on a portable GPS and certainly not an ILS. What I meant was the GPS would allow navigation to more suitable weather (e.g. MFVR or better) and the air driven gyro(s) would suffice for keeping the airplane right side up in pointed in the right direction (as indicated on the GPS). And that's not a suggestion that you should waste precious electrical energy on the gear because you have a battery powered GPS, it was about the fact that losing all electrical isn't necessarily a big emergency.

So, if I was going to have to take an ILS in, I wouldn't bother with messing around wasting power on gear. Once I broke out I'd drop try and drop teh gear. (runway permitting).if they go down great..if not..oh well.

Well, on this at least I think we clearly disagree. While a gear up landing is certainly preferrable to an uncontrolled crash, it's not without risk to life and limb and shouldn't really be an intentional part of the plan just because the alternator quit. IMO the correct option when conserving electrical energy is to lower the gear manually (this takes virtually no energy from the battery) and this needs to be done long before "breaking out" on approach or even just enterring the pattern for a VMC landing. I just cannot see the wisdom of flying a tight approach sans a fully charged battery and then attempting to drop the gear electrically on short final. For one thing there's an awfully good chance that the gear will partially deploy which significantly increases the risk of injury and certainly the damage, and you just might need to continue navigating should the runway disappear due to fog and now you're up the creek with a serious lack of paddle.

I just cannot agree with that statement :D

What statement? I can't see anything to agree or disagree with in the quote from my post that preceeds this statement.

If I needed an ILS to get in, I'd have little interest trying to shoot that on the 396 I have (I've tried. It is tough), therefore there is simply no way I'd waste power on gear.

Again, I'm not suggesting that at all. Either use the GPS to extend to somewhere the weather is better (best choice) or fly the ILS with the proper radios (desperate choice), but in either case extend the gear manually at the appropriate time.

Under what circumstances wouldn't you have the time? I suppose if you were so out of touch with your electrical system that you failed to notice any problem until the battery was so drained that any further delay (i.e. to lower the gear by hand) would diminish your chances of reaching the runway before your nav radio quit, one might indeed consider just sliding in on the belly purposely. But even then I'd be inclined to escape to better weather so what we're really down to is the aforementioned lack of electrical awareness, pure luck that the remaining energy is just enough to fly an approach that hopefully doesn't require a miss, and insufficient fuel to reach a known area of decent weather (or no idea where that might be). In that case you've dug such a deep hole that I seriously doubt there's enough skill and luck available to suceed in the intentional gear up landing anyway.

I'm for cranking it down at altitude while the heading and alt hold are still working.....
But mostly I'm for:
not departing with a known deficiency
not denying that the known deficiency is connected with the low voltage light
not panicking and consider the big picture now trapped, as to how to get down (how about fly to VMC?)
Putting the gear down while there are still assistive electrons as it's tough to do, less so in VMC.
and it goes on and on.

Lance, we're basically saying the same thing...we're just making statements based on different airplanes and circumstances. Likely, both of us, have two entirely different scenarios in mind--and as a result--our statements conflict :)

Back