"How many touch-and-goes would you like at Kansas City International?

NoHeat

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
That's what I heard approach ask a pilot.

It was the middle of the afternoon today, a Sunday. I was flying over the Class Bravo at 11,000, IFR, and I was surprised to hear that on the radio.

"How many would you like"? Does this Class Bravo airport roll out the red carpet for training?

I did all of my night towered commercial take offs and landings at Hobby Airport on the graveyard shift.. Had the whole place to myself..

Did a 360 for altitude loss at midnight over the approach end of one of KIAH's runways.. lets just say I miscalculated my descent point….

Would never have asked if it was even CLOSE to busy…

They frequently will take most requests. Even approaches to MCI, if they can fit you in and you can keep your speed up on approach.

Pretty rare to not be cleared through the Bravo on your route of choice. maybe a vector to keep you out of MCI or MKC arrivals/depatures, but normally nothing too bad.

My primary CFI always took students there for T&G or S&G. MCI is a pretty sleepy Bravo that seems to try hard to keep up its traffic count. They are pretty friendly to GA.

I was thinking of going to STJ tomorrow, maybe I will do a T&G at MCI as well.

That's what I heard approach ask a pilot.

It was the middle of the afternoon today, a Sunday. I was flying over the Class Bravo at 11,000, IFR, and I was surprised to hear that on the radio.

"How many would you like"? Does this Class Bravo airport roll out the red carpet for training?

Kansas City will. As far as Class Bravo's go, KC does not have all that much traffic.

Even KC Center gets real slow at night. Once it was just me and an SWA red eye at 2am and the controller was telling jokes to us.

A few class b airports do not see the traffic they did in the past. Probably too much red tape to downgrade airspace.

Even KC Center gets real slow at night. Once it was just me and an SWA red eye at 2am and the controller was telling jokes to us.

KC Center in Olathe is a good one to tour. If you do that in the evening, almost all the traffic is going from the East to West coast and already assigned and flying the Flight Levels. Unless there is weather they aren't really busy.

I have heard several sports scores, etc, on Request and given.

KC Center in Olathe is a good one to tour. If you do that in the evening, almost all the traffic is going from the East to West coast and already assigned and flying the Flight Levels. Unless there is weather they aren't really busy.

I have heard several sports scores, etc, on Request and given.

Yeah. I've been to a couple of KC center visits at night. Just your occasional night xc students, "Yeah, watch this aircraft. There's a flight school at xxx and all their students fly the same route. Yep, right on time, there's his turn for zzz." Once in a while a military aircraft or two will show up. But mostly they are just keeping traffic in straight lines over flyover country.

My next door neighbor works nights. If you are over west/central ks >12,000' then you've probably been talking to him.

Last edited:
For many years, the local Class B (LAS) had the only instrument approaches in the valley. We could get the approaches for training between 11pm and 6am. Once the morning east coast arrivals started showing up, we got booted out.

Back