How many sectionals/WACs?

Ken Ibold said:
My Citabria will most likely be gone by then. Think I can make it that far in a Pitts?

Sure, if you don't mind stopping every hour.

Sneaky guy.

kath said:
Hey Toby,
You could put a "wanted: obsolete charts" in the Classifieds section! I bet you'd get a lot of fun stuff in the mail!

I can send you my obsolete Washington and Detroit charts, if you don't already have 'em. I've also got Philly, D.C. and Cleveland terminal charts. Need any expired New England approach plates? :)
Hi Kath, I have a Detroit one -- but you should hold onto them for when you visit the lower 48!
(I still can't get over the fact that my new sectionals have all three colors! green, brown, and white!)

??

My favourite chart for route decision planning is the JNC charts (Jet Navigation Chart)
The low altitude chart JNC-5 is an excellent tool that covers all of the continental US and parts of Southern Canada. I carry this chart with me on all trans continental flights (only 2 so far!) to get the big picture when flight planning and to record the odyssey. It has great topo detail and sufficient nav info.

Ed Guthrie said:
Oh. If that's the purpose let me simplify the problem--besides a few low ridges (Alleghany Mountains) nothing but a whole lot of flatland between you and there.:rofl:

Yeah, like I said, nothing to worry about until past Denver. Gastons? Just go up to 6,500 ft. and put it on auto-pilot. Oh yeah, watch the ADIZ and P-40 if you're going that way. :)

Anthony said:
Yeah, like I said, nothing to worry about until past Denver. Gastons? Just go up to 6,500 ft. and put it on auto-pilot. Oh yeah, watch the ADIZ and P-40 if you're going that way. :)
Auto pilot! I wish! In my plane, it's called trim. :)

I'm staying away from mountains. It will be fun figuring out which route to take and where to stop along the way. I hope the weather is better than last year, though. Visibility was minimal all around MO/AR last summer, and I'm not flying in that.

Toby said:
Visibility was minimal all around MO/AR last summer, and I'm not flying in that.

You've got enough time to get your IR before Gastons, why not go for it? You've got the plane!

Toby said:
I'm staying away from mountains.

No offense to those that live in the HILLS of PA, WV, TN, and NC, but those aren't mountains at all. What's the "rule"? Fly as high again (or twice as high) as the ridge line in winds? And that height is measured from the base of the mountain to the top, not from MSL. The Alleghenies and Appalachains are a complete non issue. Like Anthony said, no worries till Denver.

Like the Ron Popiel Rotissirie.
"Set it, and forget it." (your altitude) In June you're going to want to be at least at 8,000 to get out of the thermals anyway. There's nothing higher than 6,000 east of the Rockies.

Bill Jennings said:
You've got enough time to get your IR before Gastons, why not go for it? You've got the plane!
You have $10K to spare?

N2212R said:
The Alleghenies and Appalachains are a complete non issue. Like Anthony said, no worries till Denver.

Hmmm, last Feb, flying V16 between Pulaski and Roanoke, VA, winds aloft 60kts at 6000 out of WNW, got the living tar kicked out of us, downdrafts of 1000ft/min, mod to severe turb, etc....

Not exactly no worries.

Well, yeah, at 60kts. Exceptions to everything.

Toby said:
You have $10K to spare?

$10,000?!?!?!?

Holy cow, I got my private AND instrument for less than that, combined. ASEL - 2003 IR - 2004.

Toby said:
Gil, it's the weekend of June 10/11, but I'm planning to get there Friday, the 9th, so will leave here on the 8th. You must come!!!

I can't believe I'm saying this. Folks, I am NOT committing myself to flying out there in my plane, just exploring the idea.

Nothing wrong with that, Toby. I am trying to talk Janet into going down with me in the Champ. Not having much luck with that so far. We would be over gross weight just carrying batteries for the Garmin 195 anyway :D

Sure would be fun to fly down there, though, wouldn't it?

Jim G

grattonja said:
Nothing wrong with that, Toby. I am trying to talk Janet into going down with me in the Champ. Not having much luck with that so far. We would be over gross weight just carrying batteries for the Garmin 195 anyway :D

Sure would be fun to fly down there, though, wouldn't it?

Jim G
It would be.....especially in a Champ! Listen, Jim, I could probably carry some of your luggage in my plane. (If I go.) There are some others going from the area who could help you out, too.

Toby said:
It would be.....especially in a Champ! Listen, Jim, I could probably carry some of your luggage in my plane. (If I go.) There are some others going from the area who could help you out, too.

I'll try to remember to pass that on the next time I try the sales pitch. Janet is more resistant because of the job she has now, which she doesn't think she can get away from. My argument is that she needs to get away, and this will be TOTALLY getting away.

Sounds like you are seriously considering going? It would be really neat to go/be there. I'm not sure if taking the Champ that far is realistically possible. Then again, many have flown two seat no electrical planes coast to coast. So maybe?

Gives me something to think about and talk about over the winter, either way.

Jim G

Back