How many POAers do you know personally?

kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
Since the whole reason I post here is because of the community, I wanted to see how many of you know other POAers.

By "know" I mean the following:

Met in person
Had (long / multiple) phone conversations
Had off-POA email friendships (pen pals)
Had IM chats (one on one, not the group chat room)

What would be your total number? I don't know mine, I need to count, but I'm sure it is more than 10 and less than 50.

Just curious, really.

Assuming that any one of the above qualifies,

Then I'd say I'm in the 30-50 range. And I'd count about 20 as friends (people I'd let borrow my tools or books), and a few as good friends (people I'd turn to for advice when it really counts, or to whom I'd entrust my child).

With that said, I have no doubt those numbers would go up as I meet more folks. I can count on one hand the folks I'd go out of my way to avoid.

Assuming that any one of the above qualifies,

Then I'd say I'm in the 30-50 range. And I'd count about 20 as friends (people I'd let borrow my tools or books), and a few as good friends (people I'd turn to for advice when it really counts, or to whom I'd entrust my child).

With that said, I have no doubt those numbers would go up as I meet more folks. I can count on one hand the folks I'd go out of my way to avoid.

Unfortunately, my meetings aren't all rosy either but I wanted to make this a happy thread, not a who I avoid at all costs thread! But yes, good or bad, they all count towards your "total number."

I haven't met anyone yet that I'd avoid. Just judging by posts alone, there are a few that I'd just as soon "not bother".

PS you can find out if YOU'RE blacklisted by sending $25, cash or money order, to...

I haven't met anyone yet that I'd avoid. Just judging by posts alone, there are a few that I'd just as soon "not bother".

PS you can find out if YOU'RE blacklisted by sending $25, cash or money order, to...

Tim, don't be fooled. I know exactly whose blacklist / ignore list I'm on. There are plenty of people here on this website. But again, this was supposed to be a happy thread!

Where are you located? There are POAers everywhere. And, in my case, they come to SFO (where I am) for non-POA reasons (such as business trips) and then I get to fly with them in my plane or have a beer and hangar talk.

Alaska Flyer, PA 23, kgruber and a couple lurkers.

I had a guy at the airport (a friend of mine, who doesn't even know what POA is) tell me the other weekend that he thinks I will fly with just about anyone. I need to stop doing that, and I'm sure one day I will. You, on the other hand, won't do that I'm guessing - which is why you haven't met anyone yet that you'd avoid.

Met a few at different fly in events. Never counted.

Do people still do that?

Oh my gosh yes! Jeanie had the best aviation stories on the phone and I could tell she really cared for her students. We kept each other awake way too late that night.

Alaska Flyer, PA 23, kgruber and a couple lurkers.

Wait you know LURKERS? Then again, this guy at O69 said "are you on the internet" to me when a mutual pilot friend of ours introduced us to one another in his hangar. That was kind of scary.

Wait you know LURKERS? Then again, this guy at O69 said "are you on the internet" to me when a mutual pilot friend of ours introduced us to one another in his hangar. That was kind of scary.

I've had a couple friends that have told me they agree with me here, but I have no idea what their on line names are.

= Lurker :)

I know/have met exactly 2. One I have flown with (hi!) and met as a result of joining POA and the other person is a member of my flying club (his username is his name and I recognized it). I haven't seen him for months though. I would imagine there are a few more members of the flying club I belong to who are POA'ers. And since there are 5 flying clubs at my home 'drome, there are probably lots more POA'ers who fly out of here.

A bunch. I will list the names but I know I will forget someone.

Jesse, SCCutler, Vontresc, Timwinters, Kimberly, Gprellwitz, Greg Bockelman, bockelwoman, pookies, Clark1961, Jason, HPNflygirl, MarkL, bbchien, Diana, EdFred, and of course RyanShort1 who introduced me to PoA. I also know a few folks who don't post much but lurk.

A bunch. I will list the names but I know I will forget someone.

Jesse, SCCutler, Vontresc, Timwinters, Kimberly, Gprellwitz, Greg Bockelman, bockelwoman, pookies, Clark1961, Jason, HPNflygirl, MarkL, bbchien, Diana, EdFred, and of course RyanShort1 who introduced me to PoA. I also know a few folks who don't post much but lurk.

Hey Grant, he listed me before you! How do you like them apples?

Tim, don't be fooled. I know exactly whose blacklist / ignore list I'm on. There are plenty of people here on this website. But again, this was supposed to be a happy thread!

Kim, that wasn't addressed to YOU. You're certainly not on my blacklist. That was just a tongue-in-cheek attempt at humor and raising money to feed my flying addiction.

And it's different for me than it is for you. There's practically no danger of my being assaulted if I meet somebody new. And I'm comfortable flying from the right seat if somebody scares me.

I also have met a bunch of folks from the pb

I went to a sort of PB / Red fly-in of sorts at Harris Ranch so yes, me too. I've even flown with a PB pilot and more than one Red Board pilot. Oh and POA pilots of course too - I fly with them a lot.

Don't be silly. If you had called me last night it would be ONE. Besides, we are sort of pen pals so that counts with the emails / messages.
Oh phone calls and pen pals count? I guess I didn't read all of your directions.. I'm bad like that. Oh yea! Then I have!

Oh phone calls and pen pals count? I guess I didn't read all of your directions.. I'm bad like that. Oh yea! Then I have!

And heck to meet my first batch of them I had to fly (United) all the way to Michigan from California! So no, not only in person meetings count. Any quality time spent outside of the threads counts.

And heck to meet my first batch of them I had to fly (United) all the way to Michigan from California! So no, not only in person meetings count. Any quality time spent outside of the threads counts.
Yeah, I'm looking forward to a fly in or something. Although I will be flying in the same way you did... on my 767 or something. :)

None personally, although I'd consider a few as friends. I'm pretty easy:)

Yeah, I'm looking forward to a fly in or something. Although I will be flying in the same way you did... on my 767 or something. :)

There is on in May (?) where you can fly in to Philly. That airport is easy to get to.

A big fat zero. : (

At first I started listing real names, but then I realized most wouldnt know them by their real names so I went back and put usernames and Lynn got left out

Man, I cannot imagine meeting Lynn, and then leaving her out!

Wings, near Philly, is not too far for you, and that is an awesome fly-in.

None personally, although I'd consider a few as friends. I'm pretty easy:)

Let me tell you all something, and I say this with all seriousness.

My best friend in the whole round world, I met through PoA and as a result of attending a fly-in. I hesitate to try to count them, but many, many people I know and whose friendship I value, I met here. Fact is, there are literally dozens of folks I know through flying (and through PoA in particular) who I know would be a ready resource in time of need.

Pilot people are good people.

The funny thing is, even the folks I have not met in person, I feel a strong bond with... I know that, when I do meet them, they'll be just as good to know as I expected. When I (finally) met Tim Metzinger at OSH last year, I instantly knew who he was (he looks just like Tim), and had to remind myself that we were "meeting" for the first time.

This is a sort of extended family, for me. I don't always get along with family, nor they with me, but I respect and care for them. Works like that.

Thanks, friends. :D

Man, I cannot imagine meeting Lynn, and then leaving her out!

Wings, near Philly, is not too far for you, and that is an awesome fly-in.

Let me tell you all something, and I say this with all seriousness.

My best friend in the whole round world, I met through PoA and as a result of attending a fly-in. I hesitate to try to count them, but many, many people I know and whose friendship I value, I met here. Fact is, there are literally dozens of folks I know through flying (and through PoA in particular) who I know would be a ready resource in time of need.

Pilot people are good people.

The funny thing is, even the folks I have not met in person, I feel a strong bond with... I know that, when I do meet them, they'll be just as good to know as I expected. When I (finally) met Tim Metzinger at OSH last year, I instantly knew who he was (he looks just like Tim), and had to remind myself that we were "meeting" for the first time.

This is a sort of extended family, for me. I don't always get along with family, nor they with me, but I respect and care for them. Works like that.

Thanks, friends. :D

Agree.

When I "met" everyone from POA at 6Y9 "for real" last year that was after text messages, phone calls, emails, photos, the works. I felt I already knew them and that whole fly-in was just a formality..... not to mention of course the chat room, posts, threads, PMs.

But FLYING WITH THEM was even cooler. At the time I had only flown in one other airplane before (without me and my CFI). So it was extra special. (I had only passed the checkride a few days earlier).

But double the coolness if I'm PIC and they are in my aircraft. Probably the most special / memorable flights (except for the one with my Dad).

Back