how many of you flew your bed when you were a kid?

Did you fly your furniture as a child?

• Yes

Votes: 14 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TMetzinger

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
I remember putting a fan on my bed for a propeller and flying around the world when I was a kid. When I got bunkbeds it became a 747.

What did YOU fly?

I was more into listening to shortwave radio in my closet - signals from all the foreign lands.

We did, however, live under the approach pattern for DCA, so I was constantly in the yard looking at all the old prop planes headed for river approach to the airport.

I didnt have a real interest in flying until I passed the FAA written the first time.

As a kid? I never stopped.

Ask the lady how I reach up for the controls in my sleep sometimes.

I don't recall ever flying any furniture as a kid. Perhaps I didn't have enough imagination. And my first "flights" were strapped into a large kite (that actually would get airborne) pulled behind a boat.

Treehouse planes. Cardboard boxes. Lots of rearranged furniture and stuff in the attic. I even had a spaceship cardboard box with a really cool light box my dad built. Switches and dials and knobs oh my. That light box is still around. I'll have to dig it out one of these days. It has actual gear light indicators from old airplanes...normal operation, push to test and twist to close the aperture.

There's no room for airworthiness certificates in right stuff village. No wimps or cowards allowed. Several of my manned inventions actually left the ground..with a suitable landing area starting vertically below where the runway ended. Some flew better and further than others though they were basically modified ballistic trajectories with enough of a drop to verify design flaws before touchdown. The landings...let's just say they were almost always rather violent events.

The Wright Brothers were definitely on the correct path. Controllability is way down on the list of priorities while deep in the experimental design phase..except when it comes to manned kites.

I dreamed about flying alot. Litterally. My dreams were more about me flying, without a plane. I think I played spaceship more often as a kid, but would always look up as a plane flew by.

Nope...but I do have about 10 or 15 posters from everything from 172s to 747s (and everything in between) hanging in my room, 2 of which are on my ceiling above my bed.

I think that technically classifies me as a plane nut.

Regards,
Jason

Not exactly. Iflew cardboard boxes though. When I was pre-school through 1st grade I had a thing called "Jimmy Jet" It was a plastic cockpit you set on a table.

It had a translucent screen behind which was a rotating horizontal drum with an aerial view scene painted on it. Inside the drum was a light bulb.

The "throttle" turned on the bulb and set the speed of the drum. The bulb projected the scene onto the translucent screen (a primitive form of EFIS?). The wheel was connected to an inside wire with an airplane silhouette between the drum and the screen. You "flew" the the airplane shadow over about eight targets. It had two spring-loaded suction cup tipped "missles" you could fire. The drum motor made for a "jet" whine. All in all it was a really cool toy.

Michael said:
I dreamed about flying alot. Litterally. My dreams were more about me flying, without a plane. I think I played spaceship more often as a kid, but would always look up as a plane flew by.

That is what I did. I turned almost any box into a space ship. I would carve out hatches and then move into the box for days at a time, sleeping in them watching tv in them and only go on space walks to go to the bathroom. My mom would even bring my dinner to me, just like the real astronauts. :D:D:D

While my friends were playing cowboys and indians, i was building model airplanes, while they were learning to ride 2 wheelers i was learning to fly U-Contol airplanes, i would sneak to the airport and press my face against the wire fence for hours at a time waiting for something to land or take-off, at 12 i was washing airplanes for rides, that led me on the road to becoming the airport bum that i am today.

I used to build airplanes out of my Lego blocks and play with them all the time.

My parents would take me to the airport observation deck, which fueled it.

TMetzinger said:
I remember putting a fan on my bed for a propeller and flying around the world when I was a kid. When I got bunkbeds it became a 747.

What did YOU fly?

I just stuck my hand out the car window and flew it around.

If I needed more than that, I'd go outside and watch all the Cessnas (and occasional other birds) entering downwind for runway 30 at C29, and dream...

Aviation was he only thing my dad and I had in common. During WWII he got to train as a pilot, he had been transferred out of Europe and North Africa to return to the states where he began pilot training with his childhood friend. Like any good 20-something returning from war he decided partying was better and washed out and was sent to the pacific. But not before letting flying get in his blood. His friend BTW, stayed the course and become a pilot with North Centra afer the warl. He died in a horrific mid air crash over Appleton, Wi that resulted in all scheduled air service having to file IFR flight plans.

But the aviation bug never left my dad. When I was a kid we would go to the airport just to watch planes and talk about flying. he still would tell me his stories about when he was a pilot and I would wear his old WWII flight suit every year for Halloween.

He died in 1986 but had gotten Alzheimers in 1983 and did not know who I was anymore long before his physical death. If he were alive I am sure he would have loved my becoming a pilot.

I bet I've sprayed a million acres setting on the toilet using the plunger as a control stick.
Setting in the passenger seat of my dad's truck with a claw hammer between my legs using the window crank handle as the power lever.

Licketysplit said:
I bet I've sprayed a million acres setting on the toilet using the plunger as a control stick.
Setting in the passenger seat of my dad's truck with a claw hammer between my legs using the window crank handle as the power lever.
Actually...now I recall what I did. It wasn't my bed, but it was my moms mini-van. I used to turn up the A/C to full blast in the whole car to make it sound noisy and windy and then would take my younger (disabled) sisters cane when she wasn't using it and would use that as a stick and would go pretend.

Good times, good times..

Otherwise, all my flying as a younger kid was in a real airplane. Nothin' beats that!

I did it, but I don't think I was anywhere near as inventive as my boy. He'll make control yokes out of his tinker toys, and anything in the house can instantly be converted into an airplane.

My dad worked for Bell Helicopter, and I remember once when he brought home a big box with the Bell logo on the side just for me. We cut out a "cockpit", put a lawn chair in it and he fashioned a rotor out of card board for me. I spent hours in that thing holding on to a cut down broom handle making "whoop, whoop, whoop" noises while I "flew". Dad played the control tower clearing me to hover taxi. lol

Good memories.

I used upside down laundry baskets, an NES for an "engine" and whatever else I could find for the rest of the parts.

Jason - its not too late for you to "fly your furniture when you were a kid"

:)

No. My uncle had a Cherokee 140. I flew that.

so did mine! likely what planted the seed for me, although i didnt start thinking about getting my license until late in high school.

Bunk beds and/or dinning room table (actually a kitchen table that happened to be in the dinning room) were actually airplanes, spaceships or submarines, depending on the mission at hand for my two brothers and I.

Len

Flying in beds came later...

Flew the airfoil of my hand out the car window though.
Everybody, worldwide, at least dreams of flying. The few that actually do is in indication of the generally paltry state of the human race.

Back