How many musicians? How many in computers?

I'm sure that will continue, my wife is a band director so I can play with her toys. :D

Nobody bit on that? Newlyweds even? Sigh. We are slipping. ;)

Add my name to the pile. Vocalist, guitar, baritone horn, and keyboards... All pretty poorly. Or at least I think so.

We should all start a band.
And a consulting firm.

Let me know when you want to meet. Haha. I'm being driven nuts training noobs this week. One guy just shared that he has been logging into the wrong VPN for a month. He doesn't have his RSA key fob. It was delivered to Corp HQ attn to him on 12/15/2013. He was copied on the Fedex tracking ticket. LMAO.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. This one time, at band camp….

WTH is it with all these baritone/euphonium players? That was my first brass instrument as well (though I've been playing the trombone for 30 years, and haven't gone back).

I've been slowly plucking on guitar strings since I was a kid in camp. First song I learned was "horse with no name", second was "house of the rising sun", then a bunch of beatles stuff (the guy who taught me some chords was the biggest beatles fan on the planet). I'm still not good, but sometimes I won't play guitar for months, sometimes I'll pick it up and play 4 chords and be happy, sometimes I'll play for hours. Either way, I always come back to pluckin those strings.

Oh, and also in IT.

Trumpet in high school and Navy (played taps at funerals for a couple years in Pensacola) and later guitar.

Really...I was the NCOIC of an Air Force Honor guard. I was the one who handed the flag off to the next of Kin..very rough! However, our trumpet had a speaker in it so when taps was to be played, you hit the button and pretend you are playing.

However im in simulation and decent with computers and networking and I have no musical talent at all...none...nada...zilch.

Hah!

So for our wedding, my mother-in-law put together some activity packs for all the kids to keep them occupied and having fun. Things like a camera and a list of things to try to get a picture of (like the two of us kissing).

My beautiful bride was wearing a dress with a sweetheart neckline, and she's relatively well-endowed...

So we all had a good laugh when her mom came to our table, and my wife said without realizing what she said until it was too late:

"The fun bags are a big hit." :rofl:

Music: Mostly low brass (trombone, euphonium, tuba), but I've played trumpet and electric bass as needed. 28.5 years and counting in the Air Force/Air National Guard band program (currently bass trombone/arranger with the IL ANG band).

IT: Started as a COBOL programmer in the mid 90's, moved to the web shortly after, and did web design/development until 2007 or so. Since then I've been focusing on ui/user experience design.

Bassoonist, former recorder player, retired electrical engineer, and former recorder maker. I've dabbled in writing software in Fortran, assembly language, Basic, and C.

Really...I was the NCOIC of an Air Force Honor guard. I was the one who handed the flag off to the next of Kin..very rough! However, our trumpet had a speaker in it so when taps was to be played, you hit the button and pretend you are playing.

However im in simulation and decent with computers and networking and I have no musical talent at all...none...nada...zilch.

At my father's funeral, the Navy Honor Guard played Taps for real, even though it was darn cold out. We would have been deeply disappointed by a recording. :sad:

At my father's funeral, the Navy Honor Guard played Taps for real, even though it was darn cold out. We would have been deeply disappointed by a recording. :sad:

This! I'm deeply disappointed that our military would fake Taps for anyone. It's one thing for pop stars to lip sync, but if you want to show respect for the dead, the least you can do is play it for real.

This! I'm deeply disappointed that our military would fake Taps for anyone. It's one thing for pop stars to lip sync, but if you want to show respect for the dead, the least you can do is play it for real.

It's done that way sometimes.

My father in law had obviously lip-sync'd taps at Ft. Logan, CO. As a musician, I cringed, but kept my mouth shut.

There aren't enough buglers around to cover the need. Our trumpet players are called on quite frequently for funeral detail, and we even have other brass players (who can at least play taps on a trumpet, if not the ending of In The Mood) doing funeral duty when they can. Over the last two years 6 of the 11 Air Guard bands were deactivated and the active duty Air Force had three bands deactivated and two more bands reduced to small ensemble size.

I have met a handful of pilots in the last year and it seems a good percentage of them are computer nerds and also musicians.

I am a software engineer and a musician as well. Most of my IT friends are musicians.

I know very little about how the brain works but wondering if there is something where if you are strong at doing X, then you have an aptitude for Y and Z

Just curious to see how many other pilots are either technical or musically inclined.

I am a professional musician.

Saw this in our base paper today (notice the horn), strange I havent seen anything honor guard in the paper for a while. But yes if nobody can play what are you to do, go without taps. No, I promise while it might not be real it sounds really good and crisp. But Im no musician either. When I have my funeral Taps can be recorded but they better fold my flag right!

Attachments

• 140115-F-ZA023-001.jpg
    140115-F-ZA023-001.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 12
Interesting. And if you look at the large version of that photo, and zoom in on the bell of the bugle, you can see where they have blurred it in an editing tool.

I was wondering when you'd pop into this thread. :)

I was hesitant, since although I know my way around a computer, I am FAR from having the expertise of those on this webboard!

I'm a consulting engineer. My speciality is programming and testing nuclear power plant simulators. They typically use Fortran and C++. When I was younger I was a Control Room Supervisor/Senior Reactor Operator, but grew tired of the shift work and stress. I like working on the simulators much better.

I was in band in high school; marching band during football season, concert band and jazz band. I played electric bass for the jazz and marching band and flute for concert band. I also played regular guitar too but there was no place for it in high school band. I did play guitar at church for our youth musicals we would do during the summers.

My older brother played bass for Frank Zappa during the mid-70's and is on the Sleep Dust, One Size Fits All and Leather CD's. About the time I was finishing college, my brother left Zappa and came back to Atlanta and asked me to play guitar in a band he was putting together. I played for a couple of years until i decided to get married. I knew there was no way I could have a good family life being on the road so much of the time. That's when I went to work at a nuclear power plant.

I have a good friend in California that builds some of the best custom guitars on the planet. I purchased a guitar from him. As we got to know each other he found out that I knew how to build web sites and he offered to build me another guitar in exchange for building his site. I jumped at the offer. It was fun working with Ron on the web site and it was great getting another of his awesome guitars. Here is a link to the home page for his site:
http://http://www.thornguitargallery.com/index.htm
This is a link to the gallery of his Artisan guitars. Many of these guitars are absolute works of art in addition to being one of the best playing guitars you can lay your hands on.
http://http://www.thornguitargallery.com/galleryhtm/artgallery.htm
This is the first guitar Ron built for me.
http://http://www.thornguitargallery.com/galleryhtm/dc049.htm
This is the guitar Ron built in exchange for the website.
http://http://www.thornguitargallery.com/sfc-htm/sfc002.htm

I also play mandolin. It is much smaller and easier to throw in the plane than a guitar. Plus I'm not as uptight about leaving it in a hotel rooms as I would be about one of my prize guitars.

Last edited:
My step dad played with Ike and Tina turner. He was the only white person in the band. He was with them for many years.
He told me Ike was not a nice person.

Tony

Back