• Over 200K - TBO? What's that?

Votes: 24 18.3%

• Total voters

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
Well, Tony's house/garage comment got me thinking. How many miles does everyone have on their cars?

-My 2000 Ford Excursion has 151K and counting.
-My 1993 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 has 145K, and blowing oil (valve seals, rings, or turbos. I'm replacing the valve seals and turbos, that way I'll be sure it's the rings ;) )

Now to the motorcycles...

-My 2000 Honda RC51 has 33,000 miles on it, which seems high for a motorcycle, but...
-My best friend's 1993 Kawasaki KZ1000P (cue "CHiPs" theme) that lives at my house has 72,000 miles on it.

I'm guessing I'm not the only one. I've only twice owned vehicles with under 100K on them, and that wasn't for very long.

My '95 Honda purchased in '94 has 149K miles on it. It developed a couple of nasty rust spots/holes around the rear wheel wells, so I had it repaired and the whole car repainted last fall. Not an expensive paint job, but it's just a Civic that I want 5 more years on the road. Didn't know rust spots could be so expensive to fix, but he threw in the paint job for a few hundred more, so what the heck. It looks nice even tho it's not perfect.

We had a 94 Jimmy with 170K miles, but even throwing lots of money at it, last year it finally became to unreliable to keep. So we bought a new F150 that had better follow us to our graves... :wink2:

I typically buy used cars. My Excursion I bought with 90k on it (took 4 months to have it tick over 100k). I had a Cummins-powered Dodge I bought new in 2004, put 108,000 miles on it in two years and sold it. Now remembering, I bought a Range Rover with 60,000 miles on it once, sold it at 75,000. But everything else (something in the order of 25 others) with 4 wheels has had over 100k on it.

83 GMC sierra with 350K or so ( only had it 3 years )
97 Porsche Boxster 120K ( had it 5 years put 60k on it )

I like to keep a car 10 years before it's broke in right.

1958 Merecedes Benz 300 SL "Gullwing" - 5K original miles, yeah guess I don't drive much either.

Attachments

• Anthonny's Mercedes-Benz-300-SL-Coupe.jpg
    Anthonny's Mercedes-Benz-300-SL-Coupe.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 26
1997 F250: 256k
2000 Camry: 160k
2001 Audi A4: 129k
1984 Intl. Dump Truck: 121k
1971 Triumph Spitfire: 48k (4k after restoration)

My Uncle has a hot rod shop with 95% of the tools required to fix things when they break, so everything keeps running well for the price of parts at NAPA, where we get a decent discount.

Truck burns some oil, Camry is due for a timing belt, but otherwise no issues.

I did just 'retire' our '96 Explorer with 146k, as it has a scrap / partout value around $800. When the a/c compressor ate itself at the end of last summer, I was looking at almost $1k in parts, so I decided to not fix that. Then last month one of the bands in the tranny broke, so that was that.

Cars, when cared for, are built to last these days, which makes for some nice values on the used market! (last new car I bought was a 91 Ranger, which I could pay cash for with the insurance money from my totaled 87 Mustang GT convertible :cryin:)

1997 Honda Accord: 127,000
2000 BMW M-Roadster: 43,000
2010 VW Jette TDI: 23,000

My old Jeep Cherokee was given to my niece almost 2 years ago with 175,000 miles on it. She is still using it. The odometer now has almost 190,000 on it.

I have one car, a 2006 Mariner hybrid, with just over 35,000 miles
My 2005 motorcycle has something like 10,000 miles.

I live 6 miles from work and 6 miles from my airplane.

So, I selected "Under 50K - I want it to cost more than my plane" but it definitely doesn't cost more than my airplane - nor do I necessarily want it to cost more than the plane.

2003 Dodge Neon is my commuter car. Bought it brand new (I know...dumb) at the end of 2002, just ticked over 100,000 km (63,000 miles) a few days ago.

2001 Forester - 150K+
1991 Miata - 162K (with compressions still all higher than 195!)

I remember in the 70s when a car did WELL if it lasted 10 years or hit 100000 miles without a major repair.
I haven't done major work to either of my cars - just fluids, filters, and belts and hoses.

That 4K is an annual cost to keep the Triump running, right? :D

No that is just to repair the electrical system. Its more for the mechanicals.

2004 Vette: 40k bought it with 25k in August '08.
2007 Colorado: 30k bought new in March '07.

1958 Merecedes Benz 300 SL "Gullwing" - 5K original miles, yeah guess I don't drive much either.

What a beautiful car, Anthony! I had no idea you owned one of those. Perhaps one day I can come drool near it in person.

I had the good fortune to sit in one about 15 years ago. So very, very cool.

BEE-YOU-TEE-FUL CAR.

I always wonder if in the various movies with classic old Mercedes if they actually trash the car. For instance: Hangover, and The Witches of Eastwick.

I sure hope not.

What a beautiful car, Anthony! I had no idea you owned one of those. Perhaps one day I can come drool near it in person.

I had the good fortune to sit in one about 15 years ago. So very, very cool.

What? That old thing? Is it worth much? Its so old you know.

:D

I only wish it were mine. :rolleyes2: :sad:

BEE-YOU-TEE-FUL CAR.

I always wonder if in the various movies with classic old Mercedes if they actually trash the car. For instance: Hangover, and The Witches of Eastwick.

I sure hope not.

I think there's some leg-pulling going on. :wink2:

Mercedes Benz quit making the gullwing in 1957.

2003 Dodge Neon is my commuter car. Bought it brand new (I know...dumb) at the end of 2002, just ticked over 100,000 km (63,000 miles) a few days ago.
Well, I don't think it is dumb to buy new. I buy new. In fact, I think that buying new is the smart choice. Besides, I worked hard to be able to afford new. I also get rid of vehicles when they start getting some mileage on them. Let's put it this way, I don't drive something with six digit mileage. Sorry boys and girls, I don't like driving around in an old car.

2010 Chevy Silverado 5300 miles
2005 Pontiac Solstice 36,600 miles
1983 Yamaha XS650 12,050 miles
1996 Jeep Cherokee 125,000 miles roughly.

My daughter actually took the Cherokee in 2005, and I haven't driven it since. Thinking about getting rid of the Solstice and buying a mini cooper.

Last edited:
Wife's car 2000 Windstar 156,000
My 1997 F-150 258,000
My 1997 Nissan Sentra turned 242,000 Yesterday

I hope to keep them running 5 more years.
No car payments the last 5 years. I, so far, I've had to get a pro involved only once on the truck. I was in Alaska and needed it to be fixed when I got back and it was a big job. Dumped all the coolant in the oil through a blown freeze plug. With a OBDII code reader, I've been able to fix everything else. :fcross:

Sold the 1980 Suzuki GS1100 5 years ago. Had it 18 years. Gawd, I wish I had it back.

Last edited:
The odometer on my 1988 BMW 528e conked out at 137k (broken plastic gear inside). At the rate I put on miles, I estimated it was around 180k. After I sold the plane last year, I gave that car to my mechanic and bought a 2003 model with 46k miles. It has 56k now.

Last edited:
I only wish it were mine. :rolleyes2: :sad:

I should know better than to trust a Grumman pilot. ;)

Well, I don't think it is dumb to buy new. I buy new. In fact, I think that buying new is the smart choice. Besides, I worked hard to be able to afford new. I also get rid of vehicles when they start getting some mileage on them. Let's put it this way, I don't drive something with six digit mileage. Sorry boys and girls, I don't like driving around in an old car.

If you don't like driving around in a car that has 100k or more on it and like having a new car, then there's nothing wrong with that. As you said, you worked hard to be able to afford new, and if that's what you want, more power to you. Choice and all.

As to it being the smart choice, there are a lot of variables there. Since I do almost all of my own work on my cars, it is financially far more responsible to buy a reliable used car than new. I bought a new truck once - never again. I could've spent that money on better things. The smart thing to do would have been to buy a good used truck instead.

Buying an unreliable used car that requires tons of work isn't smart, unless that's what you want to do with your time. My Excursion has provided better reliability in the 60,000 miles I've had it (91K to 151K) than my mom's new Volvo and Infiniti did for her, and she didn't even drive them as many miles. But if breaking isn't an option for you (and for some people it's not), new might make more sense.

My friend sold me a 95 Mitsubishi Diamante for $200 which needed some work but he and I got it going again. It has 145K on it and the engine now runs great. The problem is the people before me obviously neglected it and only half of the other things work on it. That's fine with me because I just want something to get me from A to B and not have to worry too much about it dying on the way. It's a work in progress, but it's coming along.

Last edited:
1999 GMC Sierra 171,000 mi
2002 Pontiac Bonneville 162,000 mi
2004 GMC Sierra 67,000 mi
1988 Cad. Allante 121,000 mi
2005 GMC Safari 306,000 mi
2005 New Holland Airport mowing Tractor 320 hrs.
1972 piper Cherokee 13hrs on new rebuild

I drive too much and need to fly more:thumbsup:

2007 Wrangler JK, 22,000......2000 Newmar Motorhome 21,000. it did cost more than my house.

Ted,

I think you'll see a direct correlation between either buying used and/or drving high mileage cars if you own and operate an airplane. People that do have to maintain their own airplane value the ability to fly it whenever they want, over having a brand new, high end car. The lack of car payments to help fund owning an operating an airplane is pretty common I think.

Now that would be an interesting poll.

2003 Jeep Wrangler (bought new) - 140K miles

1978 AA5B - 3,495 hours ;)

After all, this is an aviation board. Right?

Last edited:
Ted,

I think you'll see a direct correlation between either buying used and/or drving high mileage cars if you own and operate an airplane. People that do have to maintain their own airplane value the ability to fly it whenever they want, over having a brand new, high end car. The lack of car payments to help fund owning an operating an airplane is pretty common I think.

True, but I've bought old, used cars since I started driving (which was well before flying), and have no desire to switch.

Now that would be an interesting poll.

2003 Jeep Wrangler - 140K miles

1978 AA5B - 3,495 hours ;)

After all, this is an aviation board. Right?

1969 Piper Aztec: 10,000 hours
1968 Cessna 310: 8,000 hours

Yessir, we fly them things! :)

The lack of car payments to help fund owning an operating an airplane is pretty common I think.

These days, the lack of car payment can go to putting gas in it. It's outrageous.

These days, the lack of car payment can go to putting gas in it. It's outrageous.

Well, that's the "operating" part of my statement. Yeah, tell me about it. :rolleyes2:

2006 Azera - 120k
2004 F-150 - 121k
2002 Saturn SL2 - 185k

Keep 'em 10 yrs normally, but the F-150 looks like it might make 15.

Well, I don't think it is dumb to buy new. I buy new. In fact, I think that buying new is the smart choice.
I'm with you on this. I've almost always bought new except for the one time I bought a minivan as a utility vehicle. It depreciated as much in the few years I owned it as a new car would have, plus I did some expensive repairs to it. Besides, I like new. :D

2003 Subaru Outback with 88,000 miles
1998 Jeep Wrangler with 22,000 miles

I bought both of them new and I obviously don't drive them much, especially the Jeep.

More proof of the old adage that a pilot is a person who drives a 10-year-old car so s/he can fly a 20-year-old plane, except nowadays it's probably a 30-40 y/o plane.

What proof?

I see as many or more cars listed less than 10 years old than I do older - and some of the 10+ were bought new.

What proof?

I see as many or more cars listed less than 10 years old than I do older - and some of the 10+ were bought new.
You can't count me because I don't own an airplane...

I should know better than to trust a Grumman pilot. ;)

If you don't like driving around in a car that has 100k or more on it and like having a new car, then there's nothing wrong with that. As you said, you worked hard to be able to afford new, and if that's what you want, more power to you. Choice and all.

As to it being the smart choice, there are a lot of variables there. Since I do almost all of my own work on my cars, it is financially far more responsible to buy a reliable used car than new. I bought a new truck once - never again. I could've spent that money on better things. The smart thing to do would have been to buy a good used truck instead.
Why is that the smart thing? Why would a good used truck be any smarter than a new truck?

Back