How many landings in past 90 days?

Rob Schaffer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CLR2TKF
Well, as a student through last winter, I never really noticed the landings in the past 90 days going down, since I was training twice a week. Since getting my PP in June, the hours of flying have gone from twice a week, to once a week, and now with winter in the Mid-atlantic, I haven't been out yet this year. :frown3:

I was annoyed to be updating my electronic backup of my log today and saw that my night currency just expried again (2 nights ago), and I have only 8 day landings in the past 90 days. I've done more XC flying on in the past 90 days (7.6 out of my last 8.2 hrs :smilewinkgrin: ), pretty much every flight has been. But as such, I've only landed at the destination airport and then back home again.

So, question for you guys. How many landings do you have in the past 90 days?

To keep it in comparison, I'm havent been in training for 6 months, and I'm not currently seeking a rating, just flying when I can.

" it's winter" In Seattle we have had our two weeks of winter, now our 'almost' year-round spring time resumes. If the fog lifts, I am flying this afternoon. DaveR P.S. A recount totals 34 landings since Oct 16,08. Ten flights logged.Three of those flights since X-mas. DR

Well, as a student through last winter, I never really noticed the landings in the past 90 days going down, since I was training twice a week. Since getting my PP in June, the hours of flying have gone from twice a week, to once a week, and now with winter in the Mid-atlantic, I haven't been out yet this year. :frown3:

I was annoyed to be updating my electronic backup of my log today and saw that my night currency just expried again (2 nights ago), and I have only 8 day landings in the past 90 days. I've done more XC flying on in the past 90 days (7.6 out of my last 8.2 hrs :smilewinkgrin: ), pretty much every flight has been. But as such, I've only landed at the destination airport and then back home again.

So, question for you guys. How many landings do you have in the past 90 days?

To keep it in comparison, I'm havent been in training for 6 months, and I'm not currently seeking a rating, just flying when I can.

Rob,

This winter in PA has been particularly bad for we non-professional fliers. When it's Marginal VFR or IFR there's icing. When it's VFR -- which has been rare -- it's fleeting (that whole work thing cuts into my flying).

Let's put it this way -- December had fewer hours logged than logged in a single day this Fall.

:frown3:

I'm looking forward to spring!

I've got about 30 landings and about 45 hours in the past 3 months. But I'm insane - don't use me as a benchmark.

Since most of my flying is cross country time, I generally go a while between landings. In fact, I didn't fly for pretty much the entire month of December. Reasons didn't come up, and when reasons came up, the weather disagreed. My trips are generally pretty long duration. Ames comes to mind - 16 hours logged in a weekend.

Don't worry if your flying has been down. I've been out of night currency for a bit over a month. It's winter, and that means that we can't fly as much as we'd like. Then you run into other issues - the plane won't start (the Mooney sure didn't want to earlier today - it took about 4 tries), runways are iced over, etc.. It is what it is. Save up the money for when it's nicer to be outside anyway, and you'll be flying more again in spring/summer/fall. :)

A dozen in the last 30 days, I can't remember further back than that.

Living in a warm clime has its advantage in the wintertime.

Add4 more to my total, for 38. all just flying for fun. The PNW is great, and todays flight was real nice. Cold air enabled me to see nearly 1000FPM climb in a C-150 DAVER

Wow - I feel like I haven't been flying at all, but in the last 90 days I have 31.6 hours and 36 landings (7 at night). Last 30, however - 4.2 hours and 5 landings.

I still can't believe I've been flying that much - I seriously feel like I've hardly flown at all in months. Weird. Must be 'cuz it's been 3 weeks since my last flight.

I felt the same way, Kent, although for me November was a big month (especially with Tony's party) and then I've been flying a lot since the new year.

I steal one from a student from time to time. I got one in tonight.

But, can I claim accumulated credit from nudging the controls here and there? :)

You're probably lucky to get that many at times other than enjoying the 195.

I knew a guy back in Georgia who was enroute relief between Chicago and Shanghai. He would never get any landings so every ninety days he'd have to haul it to Dallas and get current in a sim.

2008, October 1 through Dec 31, 24.6 hours and 41 landing

2009, January 1 through 17, 2.1 hours and 5 landings
January estimated totals: 8-10 hours w/ 12 landings

I am fortunate to fly to see clients and that helps keep my skills and numbers up.

Last edited:
zero.

Work, weather, and caring for elderly parents have combined to keep
me on the ground.

2:(

Work is insane!! Weekend weather has been crap!!

Got to get up to do my 6 approaches and hold to reactivate my IR!

I don't know how Scott M does it.

For work: 66 landings, 42 of which were at night.
For fun: 9 landings, 3 of which were at night.

In January alone I've had 7 turns canceled because of weather; it's been quite the winter so far!

So it doesn't seem like I'm to off the typical winter blues case. I had a few flights cancelled due to weather, and the holidays were quite busy with family meetings and dinners.

Looking back, 8.2 hrs over the past 90 days isn't too bad for how busy I've been and how poor the weather, especially for VFR. I'm booking a flight for after work this week,.. I can't take waiting anymore for a good weekend to cooperate with weather and family schedule.

Looking back, 8.2 hrs over the past 90 days isn't too bad for how busy I've been and how poor the weather, especially for VFR.

It's really not bad. Plus, remember that IFR doesn't necessarily help you in the winter because of icing concerns, unless you have a FIKI plane (which is not a ticket to fly whenever you want, either). I've specifically not been filing IFR in the Mooney because I want to always be able to say to ATC "I'm [doing this] in order to maintain VFR". I made the mistake once of filing IFR, and they tried to vector me into a cloud. Much better to go VFR with flight following.

Of course, some days I just can't fly because of that, but it's better than involuntary aqueous modifications to the airfoil design. ;)

2:(

Work is insane!! Weekend weather has been crap!!

Got to get up to do my 6 approaches and hold to reactivate my IR!

I don't know how Scott M does it.
Neither do I. Scott, what's your secret, especially since you always seem to be on another continent?

Neither do I. Scott, what's your secret, especially since you always seem to be on another continent?
I never really get a chance to not be busy. I hate doing nothing and will always be doing something. Most of the time I am doing two things at once. For instance while I am writing this I am also making dinner.

4 more today for 42 in 90days, Night current w/ at least 8or 9 at night. DaveR

My electronic logbook tells me my 30-60-90 day land count is 36-50-103.
Guess that comes from being tow pilot qualified and living in the desert southwest.

22 Glider/17 ASEL I need to move to the desert Southwest!

6 and 1.7 hours. And in Florida, winter is prime flying time. :nonod:.

But I am planning to fly to the LSA expo at Sebring on Thursday. :smile:

John

Back