How many hours?

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
are you really going to put on your aircraft in the next 5 years?

zero. Sold it. :-(

just did my 500hr spar check. I won't be breaking out the dye kit again after your five years is up, not even close.

We're averaging just under 150 a year, with three recreational pilots. Probably should be closer to 200. Part of the reason why not is we sometimes fly places together.

We did 320 in last 2 years but it was the first 2 years after completing the build.

I'll estimate 100/year over the next 5. That's been our steady state rate before the homebuilt.

I am averaging 130 a year or more.on a quest to see how many airports in the country I can land at.Also planning a trip to Alaska hopefully.

Zero until the build is finished. :yesnod:

Plan for 100-150 after that.

Cheers

Last year we did 94. So I'm thinking 500ish over 5 years is probably the right number.

I was averaging well over 200/yr when I was working, but now that I'm playing it's more like 75.

So 375ish.

These numbers sound pretty high compared to the fleet average. There are way too many planes at my airport that don't fly at all. My mechanic says some of 'em, the only time the engine is cranked is during the annual, and that lots of the others have < 20 hrs on the tach since last annual. I'm pretty sure my airport is not unique.

I'm the only one who flies my plane, and I've averaged about 80 hrs a year in the four years I've owned it. Bought it right after I took my PPL check ride and got my IR in it.

These numbers sound pretty high compared to the fleet average.
it could be that the few aircraft owners who spend every free moment discussing airplane related issues online, are not typical of the fleet average.

I suspect the fleet average is somewhere in the 15-30 hour range and I also suspect there are near zero planes that fly those hours. I suspect there is a large population in the 1 hour range and a smaller population in the 80 hr plus category

Realistically, based on current hours, probably less than 100 over the next 5. There is always something else that needs to get done. But, what should be the last of the major home projects is getting wrapped up, so I may actually get to do some traveling with the airplane. That would increase hours quite a bit over the .5 here, 1.2 there kind of use...

Last edited:
I put 1350 on my plane in the last 8 years, but only 100 in the annual period from last July to this July (been doing too much flying in other people's planes). Don't see any reason why I won't be flying at least 500, probably 600-700, in my plane over the next five. Heck, I got about 35 hours since finishing the annual last month just going out to the AYA convention in Arlington WA and back.

I'm at a 100/year pace and expect to continue

150 hrs a year. Although my recent $6,800 condition inspection is taking a big chunk out of funds for the next year. :(

Last edited:
If Bijan and I fly like we have been well put 1000 on it in the next 5 years. The unfortunate part is we're only 400 from TBO.

Since buying my Tiger at the first of June, I have put 25 hours on her. Based on that, I would suspect that we will fly her some 140 hours a year which means in 5 years I would expect to fly 700 hours.

The question is, can I keep flying 12.5 hours per month.

I put 1350 on my plane in the last 8 years, but only 100 in the annual period from last July to this July (been doing too much flying in other people's planes). Don't see any reason why I won't be flying at least 500, probably 600-700, in my plane over the next five. Heck, I got about 35 hours since finishing the annual last month just going out to the AYA convention in Arlington WA and back.

Well I'll be,, you were in AWO and didn't stop by and say hi.

Well I'll be,, you were in AWO and didn't stop by and say hi.
Didn't have time to do zip-nada else but deal with the Convention -- that's what happens when you're on the Board of Directors and running all the flight line operations and events. Didn't get to see Bob Gardner, either. :(

But I did fly over Whidbey Island a couple of times, and helped take a couple of USMC EA-6B EWO's for a sightseeing ride (no compensation other than the intangible reward of doing something nice for the folks now serving) when they showed up to see what was going on at AWO. The place looks a lot different than when I left in 1977.

Didn't have time to do zip-nada else but deal with the Convention -- that's what happens when you're on the Board of Directors and running all the flight line operations and events. Didn't get to see Bob Gardner, either. :(

But I did fly over Whidbey Island a couple of times, and helped take a couple of USMC EA-6B EWO's for a sightseeing ride (no compensation other than the intangible reward of doing something nice for the folks now serving) when they showed up to see what was going on at AWO. The place looks a lot different than when I left in 1977.

I just looked at your AYA site and your schedule. pretty aggressive for a weeks do.

sorry I missed ya.

My mechanic says some of 'em, the only time the engine is cranked is during the annual, and that lots of the others have < 20 hrs on the tach since last annual. I'm pretty sure my airport is not unique.

That's what my mechanic told me too, Jim.

I fly ours between 50 and 75 hours a year, on average (over the last 7 years), so I would say between 250 and 375 hours over the next 5.

I'll probably fly 200 hrs in the next 5 years. Especially now that I am already in paradise!

I am hoping for at lease 300 in the Tcraft and whatever else I add on with flight training.

Back