How many hours?

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
I remember something a while ago about being able to get your A&P license with a certain amount of supervised hours? How many is that? I ask because I'll be doing a 100 hour internship through my highschool with an A&P at a shop at Rocky Mountain Metro.

I remember something a while ago about being able to get your A&P license with a certain amount of supervised hours? How many is that? I ask because I'll be doing a 100 hour internship through my highschool with an A&P at a shop at Rocky Mountain Metro.

Essentially you need 30 months experience for both airframe and powerplant. If you are working just for one (airframe or powerplant) then it's 18 months.

Have the A&P you are working under write a letter, document the work done and time spent and have him sign it with his certificate number. It will count towards your experience.

Not near enough. The magic number is somewhere around 1600. You can look it up on FAA/AMT or look at Emily Griffith or Redstone for details. And just like flying, there are written exams & 2 practicals (Airframe and Powerplant). The General practial gets folding into whichever (A or P) you take first.

14 CFR Part 147
FAA 8083-30 Chp 13 for details

http://www.egos-school.com/trades/public/Airframeprograms

Look up Redstone on your own.

Essentially you need 30 months experience for both airframe and powerplant. If you are working just for one (airframe or powerplant) then it's 18 months.

Have the A&P you are working under write a letter, document the work done and time spent and have him sign it with his certificate number. It will count towards your experience.

Isn't that halved if you train at a school?

Isn't that halved if you train at a school?

I think so, as the A&P school next to my airport has a two-year program. I can attend free after I retire, and be the worst student in the history of the program. Most days I don't even know which way to turn a wrench.

I believe I remember hearing somewhere (could be dead wrong, I'll freely admit it...) that experimental builders could get their build hours included in this under certain circumstances?

I'm not talking about a repairmans certificate - we know that the experimental builder gets that for the plane he's built - but I could swear I heard someone say that you could count at least a portion of your build hours towards a full-blown A&P, under the right circumstances.

There are many community colleges with aviation maintenance technician programs that get you from zero to A&P in two academic years with 1900 hours of training time using approved curricula under Part 147, which is the maintenance equivalent of Part 141 for pilots/flight instructors.

However, the basic Part 65 requirement is 30 months of experience for A&P. IIRC, there is an equivalence table allowing you to meet that requirement by logging some number of hours for each month required so folks not working full-time at it can get that experience. That's how homebuilders can get credit for the work they've done.

There are many community colleges with aviation maintenance technician programs that get you from zero to A&P in two academic years with 1900 hours of training time using approved curricula under Part 147, which is the maintenance equivalent of Part 141 for pilots/flight instructors.

However, the basic Part 65 requirement is 30 months of experience for A&P. IIRC, there is an equivalence table allowing you to meet that requirement by logging some number of hours for each month required so folks not working full-time at it can get that experience. That's how homebuilders can get credit for the work they've done.

Yes, I just checked George T. Baker and their program is 30 months for prereqs plus A and P. So similar amount of time. I would think a more rounded education, though.

School will teach you more about everything, working teaches you more about specific things.

Sorry for raising a dead topic. Thought I'd add something.

The 30 months is usually considered as full-time, 40 hour work week (see http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/fsdo/lou/local_more/media/CE17-050-F1_A&P.pdf

where it says: "In evaluating part time practical experience an 18-months (or 30 months) based on a standard 40-hour workweek is acceptable. The months need not be consecutive. A standard workweek has 8 hours per day for 5 days per week, thus totaling 40 hours per week and approximately 160 hours per month"

so we are talking about 30X160 hrs = 4,800 hours. This is more than twice the ~2,000 hours required by an approved A&P curriculum (mine was ~2,100). Also remember, that the FAA will want to see at least half of the relevant topics covered (jet engines, piston engines, wood&fabric, composites, metal etc) and this is just to take the test--the examiner can ask you on any of those topics.

Back