How many hours?

130ish. Started in 2004. I haven't had really bad landing (flared and stalled 2 feet over the runway-BANG!) since 2006, but really good ones are less predictable.

They'll come back to haunt you. It's a surprise when it starts, too. :)

Then you grab a CFI and/or figure out which bad habit you started doing again... years after you unlearned that bad habit... ;)

A little over 161 hours since I stepped into a small airplane for the first time; that was almost exactly one year ago. I have a feeling I'm not going to be able to keep up the same pace over the coming years, however.

I have about 600, and it's mostly 2 pilot operations, so I only get to log about half of the time. Leslie has about 500 hours, so between the two of us we've paid for more than 1100 hours, also largely in high performance aircraft. All I can say is "Ow!"

I agree, it's all worth it, though!

Hey -- I forgot about that. Add Mary's 800+ hours to my 1700-ish, since we always fly together.

I am suddenly feeling rather ill about the money I've spent flying... :D

(Actually, the only thing I would do differently would be to have learned to fly 20 years sooner, so that I could have had MORE time to **** away even more AMUs... :wink2:)

~130 total.

128.6 up to 1996

1.4 more, two days ago.

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Rich

~130 total.

128.6 up to 1996

1.4 more, two days ago.

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Rich

We're in much the same boat, uh, plane :yesnod: I had 163.5 up to 1989, and 64.4 since September of last year. It's good to be back, isn't it?

Now keep at it!

We're in much the same boat, uh, plane :yesnod: I had 163.5 up to 1989, and 64.4 since September of last year. It's good to be back, isn't it?

Now keep at it!

It is AWESOME to be back. Surreal. I was so nervous before going up, no sleep. I have my PPSEL but I am more like a student now.

I WAS surprised at how much I remembered, all the little things. My steeps turns were coordinated, stalls etc.

Now if I can just get the airspeed settled down in the pattern and sort out that whole landing fiasco.....

Rich

I have 40.3 hours and just passed my private pilot checkride. I'm gonna go fly my GTO to celebrate.

Any pilot that dwells upon their hours logged, will one day find out that is not what counts.

I have 40.3 hours and just passed my private pilot checkride. I'm gonna go fly my GTO to celebrate.

You are probably more proficient and current than half the pilots here..

Any pilot that dwells upon their hours logged, will one day find out that is not what counts.

So, 215.4 logged since 2/13/74. 172.7 from the 70's and early 80's
143.9 hours tailwheel. 109.7 from the olden days
41.5 dual. 29.8 from the '70s
70.2 cross country. 57.9 old ones
6 hours under the hood. Mostly back in the '70s.
10.8 night. All back in the 70's
22 landings in the past 90 days. Most of them **** poor.
33.45 hours in my current ride.
26.15 in the last 12 months.
What really counts is the hours that didn't get logged along the way, eh?

Last edited:
300 hours. And I paid for 298 of them. Thanks, Cirrus and Cessna for the demo flights! :D

And you don't have a GTO...:rofl::rolleyes:

Whaaaa.... don't knock my baby like that :yikes::D

Here is me getting a good feel for her curves

DSC00005.jpg

and her awesome ability to make me jelous of her grip
DSC00006.jpg

and a bad phone picture of her
67521_1417729855526_1601013735_30887701_1580359_n.jpg

She's the best lady in my life right now :rofl::D:D

Last edited:
I have a friend who has been flying for over 50 years and he didn't put all that much stock in number of hours flown. He was chief pilot for many different operators and checked out dozens of pilots during his career. He said 15 minutes in the cockpit with a potential new hire would tell him more than a number written in a log book.

580 hours or so. 380 of it in airplanes and the remainder in airships. No big deal or anything.

Whaaaa.... don't knock my baby like that :yikes::D

Here is me getting a good feel for her curves

and her awesome ability to make me jelous of her grip

and a bad phone picture of her

She's the best lady in my life right now :rofl::D:D

Uhhh, did you ask your lady about her history? You know that she's from "down under" and they did a "procedure" to make look like a GTO, but really, when you look up her DNA, you'll see she's really a Monaro.... I can't believe you've been doing a Post Op Trans-Monaro GTO all this time and couldn't tell. You live in San Francisco or Atlanta or something?

BTW, if you ever total it out but have a good dash and steering assembly, let me know.

Last edited:
VVVVVV My current hours are down there, my landings still suck :) VVVVVVV

How about .....Flying hours logged with no Auto-pilot on board...........

Never had one till this last trip to Afghanistan. So, I guess about 2650 with no AP and another 540 with.

Glad I'm not the only one asking this question though. I flew with 10k+ hour guys and recent UPT grads and the UPT grads were way more proficient at hand flying. The old guys had more SA for the most part, but they couldn't hand fly to save thier ass. WTFO?

+1 with that said just over 600.

I have SO much still to learn and understand. Expanding my instrument rating and enjoying more flights. I just want to keep making good decisions, I like conservative and safe.

37.1 hours. :thumbsup:

All this year. Just passed my Sport Pilot Checkride last month. Looking to get into some type of partnership to build more hours and learn. Having the time of my life and thrilled I finally got into training in January and am now fulfilling the dream!

Todd

Uhhh, did you ask your lady about her history? You know that she's from "down under" and they did a "procedure" to make look like a GTO, but really, when you look up her DNA, you'll see she's really a Monaro.... I can't believe you've been doing a Post Op Trans-Monaro GTO all this time and couldn't tell. You live in San Francisco or Atlanta or something?

BTW, if you ever total it out but have a good dash and steering assembly, let me know.

Haha, yeah I know about her past. She's been with a lot of people before making it here to the US.... But, I'm not.... Holden.... my breath that she still doesn't know how to shake her tail feathers :D:D

Very true....taken at face value, the pen and ink hours in a logbook only matter in hiring and insurance.

Very true....taken at face value, the pen and ink hours in a logbook only matter in hiring and insurance.

nit picking: also count for currency and additional ratings

Under 90. But have enjoyed tremendously every one of the last 20 or so since I passed my checkride... before then, mixed bag :)

I just totaled up my times.... pain in the butt when you haven't done it for 6 months :rolleyes:. But, I have 3000 and change

Bob

70. Did my checkride in June with 42 hrs. I agree with the OP that you are judged by how many hours you have logged. I live in the Dallas/Forth Worth metroplex, lots of opportunities to join flying clubs or partnerships. But, I have ran into a few that require the "magic" 100 flt hrs to join, which I feel is a bit unfair. I realize that insurance requirements may be driving that minimum number, but I think a prospective member should be judged on piloting NOT hours logged (or padded). Heck, let's go on a checkout ride, then judge me...

I have 230 hours logged.

I have over 1000 hours riding, of that I probably have several hundred hours as the sole manipulator of the controls that I haven't logged (since I started when I was like 10 years old)

I have landed or taken off at the following airports:
CO12 SNY AKO CYS BFF OGA EIK 18V RKS AFO BOI YKM S50 PUW ROA DAY EOK BIE GXY PUB SDL LVS E80 SJN SDL TAD BJC BDU LMO FNL MCK 2V5 COS CAO 00V 15F COM RAS SSF SNK TDW GNB FMM SXU CNM 5TG ONM AEG SBS LHX THP WYS RIW FTG GLD GBD HUT 0E0 TUS 40G PGA SAF HSR STK AEJ LXV

The only hours that really help are the last 6 months or so. When I flew 110 a month, even with an autopilot (used mostly above 250) I was really proficient. When I instructed 70 a month in a Huey, I could do most anything.

Now, with a little over 150 a year, I have to work at it. Been working at short field in my Waco, and I have done two go-arounds and several less than perfect landings in the last three months.

Oh, 6,600 or so 1/4 in /H with four jets, 1/4 in helicopters, the rest mostly SE with a little twin CLT thrown in.

Ernie

There are many ways to look at "hours". Do you have "hours" or do you have "hours"?
by that, i mean,

"Great. You have 1,000 hours. Is that truly 1,000 hours, or the same hour, 1000 times, there is a difference"

Flying 1,000 hours around a pattern is hardly the same as flying 1,000 hours cross country with half IFR.

I learned more in the first 50 hours instructing than I did in the previous 200 solo.

:dunno:

I've heard others say similar stuff!

What kinds of things would you say you've learned from instructing? Any valuable insights that are easily shared?

I've heard others say similar stuff!

What kinds of things would you say you've learned from instructing? Any valuable insights that are easily shared?

You have time to observe and critique (you don't have to verbalize all the critiques, but it's fine to constantly let them pass through your mind).

This carries over when you fly -- you run the same very critical observation on your own flying.

I've learned how tough Cessna gear is, how close you can get to disaster and still recover, how to break down the entire landing sequence in to small, comprehensible bits, how to practice away from the airplane, and how if you can't explain it, you probably don't know it as you ought.

Plenty more, but that's a start...

Number of hours matters not a whit. Some 1000 hour pilots have flown the same two hours 500 times. Other 1000 hour pilots have flown 500 different 2-hour flights, etc.

The measure of a pilot is attitude. And that's a qualitative measure rather than a quantitive one.

Back