How many hours did it take for your high performance?

For the 182, my current flying club requires minimum 100 hours total time, then a checkout with a club CFI or a minimum of 5 hours dual instruction if you don't hold a HP endorsement. I flew 1.9 with a club CFI (within a couple months of coming back to flying after a 13-year layoff) and was signed off; he would have signed me off sooner but I wanted the extra time for landings until things started to come back to me...

Previous flying club may have had a similar total time requirement, but my logbook says I flew 6.2 hours total before getting an endorsement, 2.8 hours of which was flying practice approaches.

But as others have said, it's almost certainly going to come down to what the insurance company requires. Common sense might suggest that 100 hours total time is a reasonable minimum - folks need to learn to fly first, and then learn to fly a high-performance plane.

Thanks for the responses. Insurance said 10 hours, but we kinda want to do something a bit more for the club.

10 hours is already a number that the insurance company is willing to throw out there because you have low-experience pilots.

When my club had a straight-leg 182 (and two Archers), the 182 requirement was 10 hours if you had less than 100 total time, 5 hours otherwise. Quite reasonable. Also, it was *time in type* and not a checkout requirement. If you had at least 5 hours of 182 time from anywhere, you could hop right in and fly ours.

More than 10 is ridiculous, IMO.

if you want to make it reasonable call the insurance company back and tell them 10 hours is to much. If the cfi isn’t comfortable signing someone off in 5 hours you probably don’t want them flying the airplane.

This. After we replaced the straight-leg 182 with an RG, the insurance requirement was something like either 500 hours of complex time and 5 hours in the R182, or 25 hours in the R182. We pushed back, since we had quite a few pilots with a lot of 182 experience by that point but very little complex time (since we had no previous complex planes), and we felt it was ridiculous to make people go around the pattern for 25 hours just to learn to put the gear up and down.

The insurance company agreed, and now there are combinations of total time, complex time, and 182 time that can result in a requirement of 10 hours, 5 hours, or just 1 hour.

We have everything from students pilots to 777 captains. That's the crux, finding something that is fair and realistic for everyone.

Our club sounds similar to yours in terms of pilot experience range. We'll take students with at least 25 hours and solo status (Archer only), but we also have an F-16 pilot and a couple others typed in just about all of the big Boeings including the 787. So, I think everything I've said above is valid for your situation too.

The 10 hour insurance rule is so ubiquitous that I'd be surprised if you can negotiate for something lower for a club. I'd think the 777 qualified guy could get signed off for that, though :)

The one that's driving me nuts is my club insurance-driven 10 hour requirement for complex checkout. I have a couple hundred 182 hours, so the 182RG is a tiny transition. Trying to combine it with with as much instrument instruction or IMC experience as possible.

See above. It worked for us. We insure with Avemco, FWIW.

See above. It worked for us. We insure with Avemco, FWIW.

We insure with Avemco too. Unfortunately, I'm the new kid on the block and I don't think anyone's going to bat with Avemco to get them to change the requirements. It certainly won't happen before I finish my 10 hours anyway. Maybe when I'm king of the world...

10 hours is already a number that the insurance company is willing to throw out there because you have low-experience pilots.

When my club had a straight-leg 182 (and two Archers), the 182 requirement was 10 hours if you had less than 100 total time, 5 hours otherwise. Quite reasonable. Also, it was *time in type* and not a checkout requirement. If you had at least 5 hours of 182 time from anywhere, you could hop right in and fly ours.

Our club is similar to OP's and yours, and this is exactly what we did when a 182 was added to a 172 and AA5B. This was driven by insurance, and I believe it's Avemco as well. So, that sounds like that's their standard requirement.

Back