How many hoops will I likely need to jump through?

Laurence Miers

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Larry in OK
Haven't done anything on record as yet.
I'm hoping to start the PPL path in the near future, weeks/months.
The more I look into the medical the more concerned I get.
I'm pushing 60, my "check engine" light has come on a few times.

My conditions:
High blood pressure, well controlled and on the same med for at least 20 years now.

Hypothyroid, never had any symptoms but showed up on my annual physical bloodwork a few years ago, doc put me on thyroid meds, no issues before or since.

Type II diabetes, I've learned this one this one opens the can of worms. Well controlled on FAA approved meds for 2+ years, highest A1C was 6.4 when I was diagnosed 3 years ago last A1C was 5.9 in November. Never had a hypo- or hyperglycemic event, just diagnosed during annual blood work.

2020 I had 3 shoulder surgeries putting both shoulders back together, Right shoulder failed the first time and had to be redone resulting in some slight loss of range of motion and strength on the right side, I consider it mostly a major annoyance and not a disability, I know, my opinion counts for squat on these issues. Oh, and in between all the shoulder surgeries my gall bladder tried to kill me so it got yanked out, no lingering effects from that though. Took pain meds for as little time as possible after all the surgeries, refused opioids after the gall bladder before they even let me out of the hospital

During the pro-op physicals for the shoulder surgeries an "irregularity" was noted on a couple of my EKGs. Not significant enough to concern the anesthesiologists but it was suggested I bring it up with my PCP next time I see him. Ended up with a referral to a cardiologist and got the whole cardiology work up and stress test and echocardiogram. No diagnosis of any problems, cardiologist pretty much shrugged her shoulders and said she didn't see anything to worry about. With no diagnosis does the cardiologist visit even need to be reported to AME?

In 2018 I got a shiny new titanium hip. The recovery was painful but mostly uneventful and I was back at work in 6 weeks and fully recovered and doing anything I darn well pleased at about 8 months. Only regret I have over that was not getting it done sooner.

Here is the big can of worms that has me concerned.
In 2018 during the lead up and recovery from the hip replacement I was pretty well crippled up and in lots of pain so was taking Tramadol for the pain. The tramadol use stopped a few weeks after the hip replacement but I had been getting pretty down and my wife convinced me to go see the doc about depression. We talked, discussed things and I was diagnosed with anxiety/depression, he prescribed Cymbalta. We also put Tramadol on "allergies" list as causing depression. Less than 2 weeks of Cymbalta and the side effects were much worse than being bummed out all the time, switched to Zoloft, tolerated that stuff for about 6 weeks. Wasn't making me feel better and the side effects were intolerable. With Docs concurrence discontinued all antidepressants about 3 months after starting. No suicide attempts or anything along that line, no repeat depression since stopping all antidepressant meds more than 3 years ago.

No history of drug abuse. With Doctors concurrence stopped all pain meds before they were ready to stop prescribing them so no issues with that. (Personally, I can't see how people can get addicted to opioids, I kind of like regular bowel movements).
No alcohol abuse. My only problem with alcohol is my beer gets old and goes bad in the fridge before it gets drank.
No criminal history, haven't had so much as a speeding ticket since 1981.

If I understand right everything but the depression issue is pretty much a matter of documenting that the conditions are controlled and not causing problems.
What hoops am I going to have to jump through over the brief bout of depression and a few months of antidepressant meds 3+ years ago? Is that going to be a HIMS thing?

Any comments or advice appreciated. Thanks.

yeah that's going to be a **** load of fun to get a 3rd class. Dr Bruce can hook it up though.

You probably can get a medical, but there will be some hoops to jump through.

Believe it or not, the SSRI might not be the biggie. You were on it less than 6 months and have been off for 3 years. A “current state” treatment statement from your doctor may be all that is needed.

the echo and stress test might need to be repeated. Typically the FAA wants all testing to be current. If someone thought there was a problem, that’s enough to peak the FAA’s interest.

Diabetes isn’t a problem, at 5.9, it isn’t even diabetes.

overall, no red flags, I only see some little yellow ones.

find a good AME and ask them for a consult to understand what is needed. My expectation of the AME is that they will understand the reports that are needed by the FAA and have a discussion in advance with them so your medical can be issued in the office.

the danger is getting a deferral where the doctor cannot issue a medical in the office and has to send it to the FAA. They are hugely backlogged right now and you’ll be waiting months for your medical to come. A good AME will anticipate that and make sure all the boxes are checked so he can issue in the office. (If they can’t or won’t do this, look for someone else). Dr Chien in Chicago or Dr Fowler in Atlanta(?) are both members of this board and recommended.

I've had the same email address for almost 25 years. I get a lot of junk.

After an email exchange with Dr Chein and carefully considering my goals, options and the expenses I would likely incur going after a 3rd class medical I have decided to pursue a Sport Pilot Certificate.
I appreciate the input I got in this thread and I really appreciate Dr Chien's response.
I will update my progress in my training when and if I have anything meaningful or worthwhile to post. In the meantime I will continue to lurk and learn.
Thanks All.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back