How many engine failures have you experienced?

13,, most were metal generating and the chips light came on,, we simply shut it down, ran the emergency check list and continued the mission.

Why would a precautionary engine shut down on a 4 engine airplane constitute an "emergency checklist", and if so, why would the "mission" be continued if an "emergency" condition exist?? :dunno:

Why would a precautionary engine shut down on a 4 engine airplane constitute an "emergency checklist", and if so, why would the "mission" be continued if an "emergency" condition exist?? :dunno:

I don't write the NATOPS I just follow it.

Edit

To be honest I can't remember if it was an emergency check list or simply a SOP.

Last edited:
What others?

why do you need to know?

have you ever been TAD?

I didn't check into VAW 11 until late 65, I wonder where
Tommy was until then? or where he went on TAD orders.

Your records must be assigned to unit, or you don't get paid.

About 250 hrs (it's been a while) and had a 1/2 engine failure excluding engines that failed to start in the tiedown area.

While holding short to return home halfway through one of my lessons I noticed a sudden change in pitch (as in hertz) and that the engine felt different via the rudder pedals. I did an impromptu runup and mag test to find that I couldn't quite reach the proper rpm for a runup plus it was really rough though the drops between L or R mags were equal.

Told my CFII that I wasn't willing to continue and the FBO flew their mechanic over and took me back home. Weeks later heard the cause was one of the spark plugs dying and then fouling the other plug in the process. Basically 1 cylinder wasn't making any power. In hindsight, on that 5000 ft runway it wasn't a life or death call not to proceed, but I know how my life works when I push the limits.

Definition of an emergency: Loss of performance or control. Both are associated with this emergency.

Definition of an emergency: Loss of performance or control. Both are associated with this emergency.

On a 4 engine transport category aircraft (such as what Tom was referring) a precautionary engine shutdown (due to chip indicator) is normally considered an abnormal operation.

On a 4 engine transport category aircraft (such as what Tom was referring) a precautionary engine shutdown (due to chip indicator) is normally considered an abnormal operation.

And in the NAVY every aircraft has what is known as the NATOPS it is how you will operate the aircraft. all the instructions and emergency procedures are placed there.

we would practice these procedures until every one of the cockpit crew knew these routines by heart for every position in the cockpit.

Back