How many are you into Model Aviation

evapilotaz

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Drone airspace abuser
How many are you into Model Aviation?

My flying passion started with Model aviation. My dad taught me control line airplane flying in the 70's and I moved onto Radio Control flying in the late 80"s. Flew RC off and on for a number of years. Got my PPL back in 1998 and had 10 year PPL flying layoff in 2003. During that time I have became very active in Radio Control Electric airplane flying again. In the last couple months got My PPL current again. I'm now very active both Radio control and PPL flying. I fly PPL every other weekend to keep the cost affordable. In between PPL flying I fly Radio Control to get the flying bug very active.

I love RC planes but I rarely fly them. I have 3 in my garage now.
I prefer gas and balsa to the foamie stuff.

Best RC plane I ever had was the 4 Star 40. That thing could do anything you wanted it to do and it still slowed down to land like a trainer.

I want another one.

Never got into RC, but would like to do so. It always seemed pretty expensive to get into, especially after hearing so many horror stories of guys crashing them and turning them into lots of tiny pieces.

Where would you recommend someone new to RC start? (Keeping in mind that getting in cheaply will be the selling point to my wife... with both us knowing I'm likely to fall down the rabbit hole if/when I decide it's a fun hobby.)

I fly a little CL on occasion with a local club, never got into RC and never will.

Oh man, you can always take those little pieces and make new planes. No uncommon for 1 plane to be come 2.

Get a 4 channel high wing plane with a flat bottom airfoil.

Actually nowadays, you can start here. Everything you need for < $100
http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy8925-hawksky-rtf-24g.html

Then get you a nice big trainer like this:
http://www.nitroplanes.com/niarfsutr60y.html

So the powered glider comes with the remote and the motor that I'd pull out and put into the trainer? (Otherwise, why get two?) How long is the flight time, generally? I assume there are pros/cons to gas vs electric?

This is just what I need... another place to spend time and money I don't have... ;-)

Electric is less messy and requires less stuff (fuel pump, glow plug, starter) but it lacks a certain realism you get with gas powered planes.

The first link is just a cheap way to get in and see if you like it. Those foamie things can be crashed, hot glued, and packaging taped like crazy.

If you like it, then I would say go get yourself a nice transmitter and a bigger gas powered plane. Nothing interchangeable between those 2 links.

on the electric planes, you get 10-15 minutes on a charge then it is 45min to 2 hours to recharge so people buy multiple batteries. With the gas, you can fly 20-30 min but there is no recharging, just refueling.

I dabbled in it a little bit. Built a couple ARF trainer models. One lasted a half dozen flights before meeting its demise on a light pole. The second I got probably a couple dozen flights out of before it connected with a telephone wire.

I dunno, there's something about balsa wood and real motors. I just don't find the electric foam stuff interesting.

Never got into RC, but would like to do so. It always seemed pretty expensive to get into, especially after hearing so many horror stories of guys crashing them and turning them into lots of tiny pieces.

Where would you recommend someone new to RC start? (Keeping in mind that getting in cheaply will be the selling point to my wife... with both us knowing I'm likely to fall down the rabbit hole if/when I decide it's a fun hobby.)

Go here and start reading rcgroups.com

It always seemed pretty expensive to get into, especially after hearing so many horror stories of guys crashing them and turning them into lots of tiny pieces.

I used to fly control-line planes when I was a kid and would sometimes ride my bike out to where the local RC guys flew, and watch the action. This was back in the sixties, when RC was still very expensive.

One day a guy showed up with a brand new plane he had just built. It was a scale J3 Cub; it was beautiful and huge--the fuselage was six feet long. The builder was too nervous to take it on its maiden flight, so he turned the controls over to the local self-appointed guru to be the test pilot. You can see what's coming. The plane was so heavy that he had to circle to climb. Suddenly, and for no apparent reason, everything went haywire and the plane came spiraling down to the asphalt completely out of control.

At the time everyone thought that radio interference of some sort blocked the controls, but I have since figured out that the pilot simply spun the plane and either didn't recognize it, or know what to do about it, or both. Anyway it was a real heartbreaker to see--even the engine was smashed to pieces.

Tim

I started RC years ago with an Alpha AviStar. (not me in the pic, pulled from google).
markB.jpg

It was a pretty awesome trainer, very rugged with lots of power. After a while it ended up sitting around the house. The plug in the fuel tank dried out and ended up popping out in flight and nearly crashing it the servoes got dunked in fuel.

After that, we got a couple ParkZone Cubs that were foam and electric. They were only 3-channel (rudder elevator throttle) compared to the 4-channel (aileron) AviStar.

PKZ1100-450.jpg

These had been (in my opinion) the best value and easiest things to learn on overall. About 100-120 bucks got you the plane, a car charger, a battery, the transmitter, and 8 AA's for the radio. They were incredibly difficult to kill and super easy to get going. We bought a ton of parts and kept them going for quite some time until we bought a couple more aircraft. Batteries were maybe 6-8 dollars, but they were nickel-cadmium (older and heavier than the lithium polymer ones widely in use today).

After the cubs we were so happy with ParkZone that we bought their P-51 Mustang and Fw-190 Focke-Wulf.
PKZ1600_back_1.jpg

PKZ1500-450.jpg

The P-51 was the first thing I'd flown after the Cub and I was totally unprepared for how it was going to fly. It was incredibly fast and it was very finicky at low speeds, much like the real thing. There was no landing gear and you had to keep the power almost all the way to the ground for landing or else you'd snap roll the thing (this happened twice, destroying both). We decided to try the Fw-190 and we were incredibly pleased - it flew great, fast or slow! I ended up convincing a couple guys on the field to buy one after they saw me stall about 4 feet off the ground, correct with full power, and recover perfectly at my low skill level.

291808_2261433908649_695503731_n.jpg

These two are actually ones we have.

Both of them are from ElectriFly - the one on the left is the Fokker Dr I and the one on the right is a S.E.5a.

Another caution here - if you are into scale stuff, be careful! The Dr.I was incredibly unstable - it looked amazing in flight, but with the 3 wings, at least one would always be out of line from the others. I had to fight to get it down each time in one piece. After 4 successful flights with it, I landed too fast and flipped it over and took the top wing off.

The S.E.5a is a different story altogether. Stable as all hell, incredibly powerful, comfortable flying full tilt or quarter throttle. The only problem I've had with it overall is that the servo arm on the elevator is stronger on one side than the other - pulling the stick all the way back means you get differential lift from the elevator. Still my absolute favorite to fly.

1134.jpg

Dad bought an A-10 as an attempt at ducted fan aircraft. It was a pretty easy starter, so I'd read on the reviews. On the first takeoff, the nose weight glued inside the nose under the refueling marks came loose. The CG varied wildly and I ended up getting it under control finally and brought it back to the ground in one piece. Always check your equipment! I quickly learned that it was a different world than flying the S.E.5a. The props keep the wind over the wing for lift no matter what which makes recovery a breeze. The ducted fan jets absolutely have to keep moving or else they become sluggish and can easily stall out and crash.

And then at the AMA Expo a couple years ago, we got one of these as a sort of move up from the A-10.

388369_2738703880100_335153701_n.jpg

Su-35 with two 70mm fans, thrust vectoring, retractable gear, the works. Absolutely beautiful! :yes:

After some stick time on the A-10, my dad and I believed that we'd be able to get this thing up and going beautifully - all of the reviews said that it flew on rails, and that it was a medium-expert level ducted fan.

431299_2860716810347_1817500140_n.jpg

And then we plugged in the ailerons backwards...

My suggestion is to start small. I like electrics because it's quieter, usually you have a pretty good power to weight ratio, you can charge multiple batteries, and you don't have to worry about your engine dying out on you (only happened twice with the AviStar). You don't need a starter or to mess with glowplugs or clean the plane down after you fly it each time, and the CG doesn't change as the fuel runs down either (not much of an effect with trainers, pretty tiny tank). The downside to electrics is that you don't get that noise and if you're not careful you can lose them (the Fw-190 sounded incredibly loud though!). The batteries are finicky and lipo's are nothing to mess with - a ruptured cell can set them on fire, and so can charging them incorrectly. The stuff required to charge bigger batteries and handle different plugs is a bit rough on the wallet but once you get a good one, you can charge all kinds of batteries at once. The initial cost of the batteries and chargers I feel is higher but after you fly a while, the cost evens out.

I also learned to fly on a big open dry lakebed, which made it easy with winds and emergency landings. Thinking I was hot stuff, I took the S.E.5a to a friend's party and tried landing on a small dirt road. I missed and hit a 55 gallon drum, spun the plane around, and then slammed it into the ground. The only damage was the strut came loose and took some of the monokote with it as well as a piece of the balsa. Both were fixed easily in ~10 minutes. Where you learn is important! The AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) is a pretty big part of RC flying today, a lot of fields won't let you go there without a membership. It's a yearly fee but you get all kinds of protection insurance wise as well as a few other perks.

8263c59f8293684f334a3ebcb3d1.jpg

I also got one of these as a present for graduation last month. I'm totally new to quadcopters but it's the same premise stick-wise as regular RC's with the ability to fly backwards. Hit a wall and the ground with it maybe 6 times so far at pretty high speed (GF flying :p) and it came out fine.

Last edited:
I was into it for a while. I started with line control and moved into nitro planes. Finished up with SPAD's, but found the hobby really expensive and always breaking stuff.

Then I moved up to get my Private...and to think I thought RC was expensive! I have no desire for it now, I get to fly for real and I maintain military simulators, so I get all I need.

I got into R/C first, by a couple of years. There was some overlap while I was getting my pilot's license.

I still say the R/C experience helped me as a real pilot. The physics are all the same, pretty much the only difference is point of view. I understood xwind landings right away... I'd been doing them from -outside- for years.

Been flying real planes for 27 years, RC for about 7. Since I was living in my RV on the road for about 4 years I focused on electric.

My top projects/favorites:

My super custom Parkzone T-28 (added retracts, flaps, lights, etc.), and my still in-work EDF to Pusher conversion F/A-18C and Parkzone Extra

IMAG0421.jpg

IMAG0420.jpg

Horizon UltraMicro Beast Biplane and Blade 120SR mini heli
IMAG0283.jpg

'Gimp

Last edited:
I flew rc airplanes, helicopters, and fpv until I realized it would be cheaper to fly full scale airplanes.

I flew rc airplanes, helicopters, and fpv until I realized it would be cheaper to fly full scale airplanes.

Yes, full scale definitely costs less. I never really got the hang of RC.

Yes, full scale definitely costs less. I never really got the hang of RC.

I'll admit it... I never really found R/C "fun". I had way more fun putting a camera on it than I did flying it (this was 1988.... my camera used film, dagnabbit, and the shutter release was pressed using a mechanism actuated by a servo on the 5th channel. yup, we got pics.)

It's hard to go with a friend of mine to the model field. I get asked if I have a plane...

Me: "Uh, yeah."
Them: "What kind?"
Me: "Mooney."
Them: "Neat. Don't see many of those. 35? 60?"
Me: "IO-390".

:D

An R/C pilot probably has less of a chance crashing a full scale than a licensed pilot has crashing a model. ;)

An R/C pilot probably has less of a chance crashing a full scale than a licensed pilot has crashing a model. ;)

Yeah the controls never reverse themselves when you turn 180 in full scale.

otoh, last time I went to the field, I saw two guys appear to intentionally crash a trainer.

It was the classic buddy cord setup. The instructor hand launched the highwing trainer and then tried desperately to save it before it augered in.

I'm just watching this... watching the wind sock... watching this... watching the windsock... Not many full scale pilots take off downwind in 10G15, but this guy did. :)

I've tried to get into RC a couple of times but it never took. If it can't kill you it ain't very amusing, to me anyway. Plus the time spent screwing around quickly adds up, rather fly or relax, or go paddle a canoe or sail something. As long as I'm in the vehicle.

Hanging up in the garage...Sweet Stik 40 2-stroke(2nd one, my first one involved in a crash in 1985, involuntary tree slaughter), Tiger Moth 90 4-stroke, two high wing trainers- electric and 40 2-stroke, low wing electric on the workbench to be built. It has been 9 yrs, can't remember some of their names, need new batteries and some practice. My son is about the age that I got involved with them, so may get them all ready to fly again soon. I like full scale much better, but rc is definitely cheaper when you only crash 2 in 30 yrs.

I have 3 built planes right now. Haven't flow in years. Have a Thunder Tiger Trainer 25 with a Webra Speed .28, a combat plane with a webra speed .28 and an Ultra Sport 40 with a Rossi .40 engine in it. I have about 4 kits waiting to be built. I would like to get back into it soon. I am helping a friend built an Alpha 40 ARF electric. Going to fly it where I own a lot at Hidden Valley Airpark near Denton Texas. 5TXO, they have a mowed rc runway there.

Joe

I have built and flown models all of my life. My Dad who has been a pilot since 1961 flew competition free flight from the age of twelve and is still at it at 86. I did control line and free flight until I got into RC in 1972. I like building large detailed scale models but haven't done much in the last 10 years because I have been building full scale. Got a Top Flite Zero ARF last month and it flies great. Didn't know how much I missed flying RC until I got back into it. I have a 1/5 scale Yellow Spitfire kit for a winter project. Here is a Focke Wulf 190 I did 10 years ago. Don

Attachments

• IMG_0255.jpg
    IMG_0255.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0257.jpg
    IMG_0257.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 14
I believe flying RC helped me with Full Scale Flight theory but never gave me the edge over someone that never flown RC. RC flying is just a different perception from sitting in a cockpit and flying the airplane. I have to agree flying RC is more difficult flying Full Scale having done both. Now having to deal with Rules and Regulations is a different beast with full scale.

I never did anything that flew, (other than balsa stick/rubber band) but I did a lot with static scale models. I pretty much stopped building them when I started flying

Attachments

• 100-0082_IMG.JPG
    100-0082_IMG.JPG
    990.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 101-0155_IMG.JPG
    101-0155_IMG.JPG
    994.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 115_1594.JPG
    115_1594.JPG
    653.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 101-0160_img.jpg
    101-0160_img.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 9
Count me in the RC group. Been flying RC since the rubber powered escapement days.

One thing I haven't done is really go out and fly RC after getting the PPL.
Can you slip and spin RC planes? I know gravity doesn't scale so perhaps a lot of descending maneuvers in RC are different then the real thing.

Never would have occurred to me to do slow flight in RC proper to this. When I stall RC, it is usually highly exaggerated.

I need to get some 10% nitro and go play.

I flew RC as a teenager. Loved it. Loved flying and building. Great way to spend time with my dad. My only trip to Oshkosh was with RC guys (although one also had a Twin Commander 685 that we piled in for the trip). I've still got a plane, but haven't flown it in over 15 years.

I just got back into RC flying recently. So much has changed! Back in 2004 I bought a Avistar ARF to learn, and quickly converted it to a taildragger with a "big" V-Max .46 and tuned pipe. I think I have a picture or two on a CD someplace, I'll have to dig it up. I loved the Avistar but quickly outgrew it, so I bought a Twist 3D aerobatic plane. It was a lot of airplane for the money, able to hover easily before all of the trick gyros and such.

I bought a full scale C150 and forgot about flying models for a good 6 years. I still built 1/48 scale plastic models during this time, but just couldn't be bothered buying another jug of glow, or even a pack of rubber bands to replace the dry rotted oil soaked ones that had last held my RC wing on. I gave all my RC junk to my little brother and it was soon destroyed. He found girls, cars and real airplanes anyway.

Fast forward to now, I find myself with my own grass strip, a real Debonair, and plenty of room for RC. I decided to buy the Horizon hobby Galstar Sportsman to get back into the hobby. It comes in a big box and mostly assembled. I don't know **** about modern transmitters, but I bought the Spektrum DX8 just to be sure. I still don't know what the **** the transmitter is asking of me, but for around $400 I am flying a sweet and cheap touch and go monster. It is so good I bought a bush landing gear set, and have started planning a flap install. My brother bought this same airplane shortly after me and is now obsessed with its charm. Imagine formation touch and goes, and formation hovers, followed by formation inverted spins. Also imagine foam airplanes hitting each other mid-air, it happens. So far we have each been able to save the remaining foam to airworthy status with minor modification and reinforcements.

I hope this is all somewhat relevant to the thread, if not, no worries.

No soup for some.........sorry.

Last edited:
One thing I haven't done is really go out and fly RC after getting the PPL.
Can you slip and spin RC planes? I know gravity doesn't scale so perhaps a lot of descending maneuvers in RC are different then the real thing.

Never would have occurred to me to do slow flight in RC proper to this. When I stall RC, it is usually highly exaggerated.

I need to get some 10% nitro and go play.

Yes they will slip, spin and do any other maneuver that you can do in a full scale. Most RC flyers never learn how to use the rudder. Don

Back