How many AOPA posters are AOPA members?

How many AOPA Forum posters are AOPA members?

• I am a member and I post or read it

Votes: 80 78.4%
  • I am a member and I don't post or read it

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I am not a member and I post or read it

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I am not a member and I don't post or read it

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

mmilano

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Mike Milano

Hopefully this won't turn into a red board flame thread, but I am just wondering if many non member's use their forums.

this is a sore subject for me. I feel the organization who runs the red board has let me down. I used to look forward to coming home from work and spending hours reading stories and adventures. Now its all just crap in my eyes. I still hold my membership, only because I want to do my part in supporting GA.

I do not read the Red Board anylonger.

mmilano said:

Hopefully this won't turn into a red board flame thread, but I am just wondering if many non member's use their forums.

Since 1979.

A member for the benefits of AOPA, but rarely, rarely post or read.

This is my preferred board. More of a "family" atmosphere.

AOPA was where I started, but when they shut it down for so long, and kept dragging their feet on getting it back up, I never went back. I am a loyal POA poster, much better group here anyway.

But I do miss Bruce! tell him Hi for me.

Dean said:
AOPA was where I started, but when they shut it down for so long, and kept dragging their feet on getting it back up, I never went back. I am a loyal POA poster, much better group here anyway.

Bruce may be drifting back. He's made one or two posts here in the last month and I know he reads here on occasion. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Been a member since 1976 ***that was a typo I meant 1996*** Sorry, with AOPA. I read the red board about every other week. Basically when I have enough time to skim the topics that interest me. About once a week Dawn makes something terrible for dinner when I am home....so I spend that time when she is cooking to skim the red board. :no:

Tonight is a "taco wheel". Sounds like a wheel of death, so I will probably be on tonight.

Last edited:
Dean said:
To get Bruce back, show up at Gastons. Shower him with gifts and alcoholic beverages. Him and the guy standing next to him. But only if that guy is me.

If you read Robert Fishers solicitation for a contract vBulletin programmer, you can see that AOPA wants to link membership to registration on the Red Board. That will fix the hit and run anon posters.

However, the bigger problem on the Red Board is that Soap Box has become a hangout for the very vocal, highly contentious conservative right wing...most if not all AOPA members. Soap Box is a waste of time and effort. The only people who care about the crap that is posted there are the 5 or so posters that generate the most pollution. In sum, it is basically a giant left vs. right peeing contest. IMHO

Greg
182RG

ggroves said:
However, the bigger problem on the Red Board is that Soap Box has become a hangout for the very vocal, highly contentious conservative right wing...most if not all AOPA members. In sum, it is basically a giant left vs. right peeing contest.

Its a hangout for BOTH left and right wing vocalists, but your right its become a giant p*ssing contest. At least AOPA has succeeded in keeping the p*ssing contest in one fourm. The rest are OK IMHO.

I check it out now & then & hope a lot of the ridiculous posts aren't made by pilots that fly aircraft !

I've been drifting away from 'Soapbox' on the red board for a while now - both sides there are way too quick to attack - usually before they even read the post you made. It's interesting that it's the same few individuals controlling the overall tone of the board, and they all seem more interested in telling me how I should think, rather than listening to anyone elses opinions - much like our political leaders in general I suppose ;)

I read most of the other forums, but really don't have enough experience to contribute on most of the topics, but I find the rest of the board very informative.

AOPA member, but not poster. I generally don't go to that board anymore, unless someone here points out an interesting thread. If anything the level of hate and discontent there has risen from the previous version of the AOPA board.

Dan

Ken Ibold said:
Him and the guy standing next to him. But only if that guy is me.

Don't I owe you a drink anyway for helping me fish my dipstick out of my fuel tank? Those sure are slippery little devils.:hairraise:

Anthony said:
Its a hangout for BOTH left and right wing vocalists, but your right its become a giant p*ssing contest. At least AOPA has succeeded in keeping the p*ssing contest in one fourm. The rest are OK IMHO.

While I continue to read and post occasionally on Red, I never even peek at Soapbox so most of the problem is contained for me. I do see a number of mildly abusive behavior on the rest of the forums there, which make me appreciate the tone here even more.

I first joined AOPA when I was 17 in 1961 and loved all the training and grass route promotions they did. The "Pinch Hitter" course came out in the early 60's. It was a great ideal and helped promote GA in a positive way. Rasing a family I gave up mymembership and then renewed in the early 1980's. I did read some of the forums late last year but got so turned off from the negitivity of the posts.

I feel like many here that Dr. Bruce is so helpful to many and gosh I wish he were here.

I really wonder where AOPA is going with the tone.

John

I used to go to the red boards. Have not been there for some time. There are other boards that are better, like POA, Babes, Midwestern Pilots, etc.

lancefisher said:
Bruce may be drifting back. He's made one or two posts here in the last month and I know he reads here on occasion. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

I think he reads here occasionally as he picked up on a post I had made about flying to Lakelawn New Year's day and flew in and joined Mike A. and I. It was great seeing him again.

I read and post occasionally. I've mainly *used* it for the medical advice from Dr Bruce (I've asked for his advice a few times).

Due to the wider audience I think there is more activity on the 100$ hamburger forum which is my favorite. Therefore I go there.

ggroves said:
If you read Robert Fishers solicitation for a contract vBulletin programmer, you can see that AOPA wants to link membership to registration on the Red Board. That will fix the hit and run anon posters.
Greg
182RG

And when they do I'm gone, because I allowed my subscription laps in sept..

I'm a member and post (infrequently) and read (not the one forum tho).

I think that the tone of ALL the forums here is reflective of the rules that we all agreed to, and enforcement of same. I think on any board, letting one forum run basically out of control contributes to the tone of other forums. 'Nuf said.

Jim G

Back