How LOW have you've flown?

You guess, I was busy.

Attachments

• DSCN1711.jpg
    DSCN1711.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 53
How low have I flown?

Well I saw this thread and decided to see how low I could go. I subsequently crashed and am currently dead. So I beat all of you!:rofl:

Even where it's legal I don't like to go lower because all it takes is one grumpy jerk with a camera to ruin my day even though he's wrong. :rolleyes:
This.

Lowest I've done is maybe 20' AGL in a twin over a remote area of Arizona. It was fun and something I always wanted to do, but not something I'd want to get in the habit of.

I never hedge hopped in Alaska......:rofl:

Just for giggles, on coolish winter day I called the on field FSS and asked for the density altitude. It was -4000. The field elevation is listed at 30 feet.

Climbout in a 207 was phenomenal.

Flew below the bank but above the water on the Tombigbee River near Columbus MS. Fun. :yes:

-500 feet, amazing since the field elevation is around 850'.

I am assuming DA since best we all could do AGL is 0 and anyone that lives in low areas will have an advantage with MSL.

Thats it?

I am hoping to head up shortly and the field elevation is 18' and the DA is currently -2600'

28*F out with a pressure of 30.39 currently. I just hope the winds calm down a bit by time i get out of the office because its otherwise a beautiful day.

I am sure its not the lowest I've flown in, last winter I went up in the low single digits, the plane really came alive that morning.

Thats it?

I am hoping to head up shortly and the field elevation is 18' and the DA is currently -2600'

You're taking DA? That's cheating! But I'll play, north country life :D

image.png

Combine that with a 300hp STOL plane and it's some fun flying, too bad all my lakes and rivers are now populated with snowmobiles.

Last edited:
What about Death Valley, something like that? Heck or even south Louisiana, there are some low spots there, Houma comes to mind.

I flew into Calexico CA one time - 0 MSL. Ditto in a seaplane on the ocean - but I was a passenger on that one. Haven't flown to Death Valley, but was surprised by a jet crossing my path below me as I drove down into it.

Dave

my wife took a picture of mine...
lowpass.JPG

-200 MSL. Nice low flight around the Salton Sea on my way to Arizona.

I've flown all the way down to the runway! As for msl, those runways have ranged from 5100' down to 18'. Nothing east of the Rockies gets negative, and I'm not ready to fly my plane through them. Its a long ride, and I won't do it one way only, I will need the plane to get home, too. Mucho dinero on avgaso . . .

400ft msl along the coast in San Diego/La Jolla. One of the most memorable flights for this Colorado pilot so far!

Sent from my iPhone with Tapatalk

Dribbled a C172 down the runway once.

Ok, it was my CFI. Was one of those days when you come back and the wind was whipping 90* across the runway. The ink wasn't too dry on my PPL and I looked over at my CFI and he really looked like he wanted the airplane. "You want the airplane," I asked. "Yep" was the response.

I kidded him afterwards by asking how many landings he was going to log - three and maybe four by my count.

We were either flying really low, or playing basketball with an airplane.

For most of my time as a pilot I would have said Grosse Ile (KONZ), Put-in Bay (3W2), or Kelleys Island (89D) at something like 595 MSL. The upper Great Lakes don't get much below 600. Now that I've moved to New England I've been a lot lower than that, but as someone else said you have to be west of the Rockies to get negative. Probably Groton, CT (KGON) which is basically at sea level (something like 9 MSL) is the lowest I've landed at. (I almost said Block Island KBID, but the airport is up on a hill at over 100 MSL.)

The other kind of flying low? I don't do buzz jobs lol. ;)

What's the point? How can you tell if people are honest in their responses?

This is another of those who has the bigger *ick questions.

How low have I flown?

Well I saw this thread and decided to see how low I could go. I subsequently crashed and am currently dead. So I beat all of you!:rofl:

So -6 AGL?

What's the point? How can you tell if people are honest in their responses?

This is another of those who has the bigger *ick questions.

Who cares if they're being honest! As long as the stories are funny and good.

Maybe we'll start a thread for your biggest *ick fascination! :rofl:

Well...one of my earliest flying jobs involved taking airborne cattle surveys for a Rancher (and sometimes searching for missing cattle), so pretty low. Probably around 200ish AGL in some cases.

I once told someone that I had a friend who had set the Maryland altitude record in a glider. The question was "high or low?"

Lower than snake chit!

Stall/spin trying to climb over the power lines

Ahh. Power lines. In the brief glimpse of the tower at the end it looked like a radio tower.

Seems with as stupid as they were being, if they'd have just gone under the power lines they'd still be alive. Not that such a thing would be recommended, but they were already outside of "recommended" anyway.

Aww man you don't need an excuse! Just post. Nice your family got to enjoy it. Have they been up with you?

negative. im still a student pilot at 14.7 hrs. my cfi was with me, we were doing a dual xc that included touch and goes in class delta and also class charlie.

I've driven at 205 mph in my car. Does that count as flying at 0 AGL? :D

Ahh. Power lines. In the brief glimpse of the tower at the end it looked like a radio tower.

Seems with as stupid as they were being, if they'd have just gone under the power lines they'd still be alive. Not that such a thing would be recommended, but they were already outside of "recommended" anyway.

I agree, they had a better chance of going under the power lines. In the video you can hear one of them asking, "over or under?" and the response was "over". The pitch up looks extreme. Talk about putting yourself in a bad position.

Soybeans are draggy...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 24
Back