How low do helicopter sightseeing tours fly?

rbridges

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
rbridges
My son and I were at one of the Disneyworld resorts in Orlando, and we wanted to get some drone footage. We went to a place offsite (Disney really really doesn't like anyone's drones except their own). We were avoiding the TFR and the various airport airspaces. The only thing that worried us were the tour helicopters. It's really hard to judge altitude from the ground, but it seemed like they were really low. I know as a part 91 pilot, I have to stay at least 500ft AGL, and even 1000 in congested areas. We really kept the drone low; just above the tree lines and lower than adjacent building to be safe.

Does anyone know offhand what their "cruise" altitude is supposed to be?

I may have answered it myself. I saw 91.119 lets them fly lower. I know they're not part 91, but I guress it depends on the route agreed with the FAA.

If they're operating under Part 91 /136, then there isn't a set altitude other than hazardous to person or property (91.119 d) or avoid region (part 136). If they're operating under Part 135, there's a 300 ft altitude over congested areas.

They could also have a company GOM / SOP specifying a higher altitude than 91.119 d.

Last edited:
I know they're not part 91

Actually, they are Part 91. Do not need to be 135 unless you go further than 25nm from place of origin.

That said most that I know of are going to fly at least 4 - 500 feet, though the one place in Myrtle Beach flies at a 1000 which to me is pointless and causes nose bleeds for helo pilots... :)

When I was hopping rides in Destin we flew at 200 AGL. At Mt Rushmore I would try to stay between 300 AGL and 1000 AGL depending on what was beneath me.

0 AGL. It's part of every textbook approach. It's just something you gotta do....when you land.

--Carlos "never over Macho Grande" V.

Back