How Loud Are Twins?

My Twin Bonanza is noticeably quieter than my Super Viking, at least in the cabin.

The MU-2 is louder than a C172. The CH-47 is louder than a Robinson 22
:)

You're weelcome.

One would think a twin could be well super-sound proofed and made to be quieter but with very few exceptions I haven’t found it to be true.

Seeing @Radar Contact and Barron Pilot flying twins made me wonder how loud they are inside compared to single engine planes?

Maybe to be more specific, let's limit to piston, non-radial non-pressurized. And let's throw out models with supersonic props (eg 185 with seaplane prop) and stick to more common models. Let's leave out the Skymaster from the twins too (maybe it beats the 185!)

So is a 310 or a Twin Barron louder inside than a 210, 206, Lance, Bonanza, etc. Are two engines located away from the cabin typically louder inside than just one engine right up front.
No proof to provide but I think they are for sure more quiet. The cabin not being attached to the engine is part of it, distance and relation from the props, windows and soundproofing might all be factors as well. Taking headsets off in a HP single is uncomfortable, in my twin it’s just annoying. :)

What most people fail to realize is noise reduction is dependent on the type of insulation used, and windshield/window thickness.

You can take two identical airframes, one with the standard factory insulation, and the other with updated improved insulation and the reduction is quite remarkable. By adding a thicker windshield and thicker side windows will reduce noise even more.

Exactly. Geared engines help, but sound proofing is where it’s at. My Twin Beech with the executive interior is much quieter than an early C-45 or stripped Twin Beech jump plane.

On a side note, the loudest airplane I’ve ever been in (other than a B-25 with no sound proofing) was actually a King Air 200 with an active noise cancellation system inside the cabin. The system went haywire and pax was screaming for us to fix it.

Back