How long will it take to finish CO?NUS

How much longer will it take to claim CONUS airports?

• Up to one year.

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Up to two years.

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Up to three years.

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • Up to four years.

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Up to five years.

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • More than Five years.

Votes: 8 22.2%

• Total voters
Re: Want to add more airports to the CONUS challage???

How cool would it be if at the end of all this, we have photos of every airport in the United States?
Well, if that is what you want you will not see any photo's from me. I travel a lot and don't always have a camera handy to take a photo. Like I said, if you make it optional I can contribute, but if not - sorry.

I don't like the photo REQUIREMENT either. I would have submitted quite a few in the last several months as I have been from MDW-LAS, MDW-M10, MDW-TPF, and a couple of others, with the associated interim stops. However, I usually wasn't thinking about this project when I was at the various airports (if I even had a camera). The initial purpose of the picture was, IIRC, for verification. I, like Mark, am getting tired of not being trusted.

I just checked the site. I would be able to claim 10 available airports, and would have had an additional 7 claimed, as I was there before the current claim holders.

Oh well.

I just checked the site. I would be able to claim 10 available airports, and would have had an additional 7 claimed, as I was there before the current claim holders.

Oh well.
I got 17 I could claim for this year that have yet to be claimed.:D

The photo is the reason I read other people's claims. Otherwise it's no different than reading this forum. The pictures give it a personal touch. Nick and Chip thanks for starting it. I promise I'll get off my arse and claim some more airports.

OK, OK. I guess I'll have to try to remember to take a picture. It's kind of a pain for me because I'm on dial-up and pictures take so darn long to load, even low-res ones.

What if the airport doesn't have a sign? A lot of the Idaho back country airports don't. How can I prove they are what I say they are?

Judy

OK, OK. I guess I'll have to try to remember to take a picture. It's kind of a pain for me because I'm on dial-up and pictures take so darn long to load, even low-res ones.

What if the airport doesn't have a sign? A lot of the Idaho back country airports don't. How can I prove they are what I say they are?

Judy

It doesn't need to be a sign. Anything that one could use to identify the airport is fine. A unique building, tree, or fixture would all suffice.

Judy

Check out any of Barbs claims. She's got all the backcountry MI strips. Lots are just a shot of the feilds/surrounding trees and her Airplane with the Go Fly America tag.... or you could just tape it on the wind sock....

Missa

hmm, out of the 32 pilots I emailed, three got back to me, and I don't think anyone signed up. Oh well. I was hoping someone would pull through.

Judy

I'm on dialup also. It does take awhile but what the heck it's just time. I resize the pictures to about 100K (only takes a couple of minutes to up load one picture :D )
Half the airports in Michigan don't have signs. I've taken pictures of derelict planes, apple trees, cows, the runway, anything that might be noticed as belonging to that airport if some one else landed there.
Most of the time I stick the sign on the side of the plane because I don't have anyone to hold it. I take a couple of signs with me because I just occasionally forget to remove the sign from the plane. (Electrical tape doesn't have the same holding capacity as 100mph duct tape.)

Barb
PS I hope you can get alot of the Idaho strips. I would like to see the pictures. I want so badly to be flying out there.

Well, I have my first LifeLine Pilots flight on Monday after Gastons, and the two endpoints are both unclaimed! Plan on getting them, and maybe do my Commercial solo XC on the way back and claim a few more. And I'll take the photos!

Can I count landing as a student? I've landed at 16 (as you can tell!!) and I was surprised to see EVB wasn't taken yet. and I am betting my two grass strips aren't either. Are grass strips part of the challenge?

ps. great kudos for starting this, thank you! what a neat idea.

Last edited:
Well, I have my first LifeLine Pilots flight on Monday after Gastons, and the two endpoints are both unclaimed! Plan on getting them, and maybe do my Commercial solo XC on the way back and claim a few more. And I'll take the photos!

good for you! My goal (after I get my TICKET that is, cough cough) is to then work towards Angel Flight...

oh darn, I have photos of next to none of them. oh well. the two grass strips I'm betting are mine alone...

Virginia: JYO AVAILABLE CRIKEY!!, VA32 DOESN'T EXIST IN DB, HEF AVAILABLE, CHO AVAILABLE, OKV AVAILABLE, FRR AVAILABLE
Maryland: HGR AVAILABLE
West Virginia: MRB AVAILABLE
Pennsylvania: 6W6 AVAILABLE
Florida: EVB AVAILABLE

OK, if you allow students I have 9 of the above. I have 1000s of photos of my HOME AIRPORT and took one of CHO if I didn't delete it. If you can accept a photo of an airport without a sign... although none of them state "Go Fly America" in the photo...

Virginia: JYO AVAILABLE CRIKEY!!, VA32 DOESN'T EXIST IN DB, HEF AVAILABLE, CHO AVAILABLE, OKV AVAILABLE, FRR AVAILABLE
Maryland: HGR AVAILABLE
West Virginia: MRB AVAILABLE
Pennsylvania: 6W6 AVAILABLE
Florida: EVB AVAILABLE

OK, if you allow students I have 9 of the above. I have 1000s of photos of my HOME AIRPORT and took one of CHO if I didn't delete it. If you can accept a photo of an airport without a sign... although none of them state "Go Fly America" in the photo...

*cough* Photoshop *cough*

I thought it was just sole manipulator of the controls. You do the landing, instructor just watchs, would be Okay.

Barb
Oops, Barb, you are right. You have to be sole manipulator, not PIC. Sorry to add to the confusion.

-Skip

Yeah, we didn't want it to get muddy with interpretations of PIC time and whatnot. If you had your hands on the controls as it touched down, its your claim!

The sign is required to be in the picture, its the claimsake (I'm making that word up now :D)

Even I claimed a few, and I don't even freakin' live in the CONUS. Though I did forget to claim one where I landed :redface: If you ever change the rules I'll go back and claim Stevensville, MT to help out the cause.

Do you have to have a Go Fly America flag? I guess I could print one up. I'm about to fly to several airports that, to my surprise, haven't been claimed. Need answer quick!

I tried downloading and resizing the CONUS image, but it doesn't resize very well--too low res.

Judy

Last edited:
You don't have to have the flag, just the words in the picture. One person used a felt-tip pen to write the words on his hand and then took a picture with his hand in it.

I have one small criticism (and I might be missing something on the site).
if you click an airport to find out who flies out of there, and the airport's been claimed, it won't list the pilots outta that airport, only the claim.
For example, try BED (lists pilots) and OWD (lists only claims).
Help me out if it's something that I'm not doing right.

I claimed 3! Unfortunately, I missed the chance to claim 4 when I forgot to take a picture.

Judy

I have one small criticism (and I might be missing something on the site).
if you click an airport to find out who flies out of there, and the airport's been claimed, it won't list the pilots outta that airport, only the claim.
For example, try BED (lists pilots) and OWD (lists only claims).
Help me out if it's something that I'm not doing right.

Deafsound,

The guy who wrote that website is an idiot. But I'm not sure I'm following you. When you click on BED where does it list pilots? Can you get to the page your talking about and paste the link to it here?

Thanks.

I claimed 3! Unfortunately, I missed the chance to claim 4 when I forgot to take a picture.

Judy

Oh man, I am ****ed off. I checked on my claim and than found that just taking a picture proving I was there (my very distinctive airplane and something on the field that identifies the airport) isn't enough. No, I have to have some bogus piece of paper that says "Go Fly America" on it. What's up with THAT? How the h*** can I get my airplane, the sign, and something on the airport that identifies it all in one picture. Oh yeah, AND the date. Why the date? So we don't dig up old photos? What difference does it make? Besides, my airplane is in its new paint job, and I can prove that was only a few weeks ago. Besides, some claims that were approved don't have the date in the photo.

Very irritated. This really is a bit much. I want to change my poll answer to "More than 5 years".

Judy

Last edited:
Judy,

There is no rule calling for the date or your airplane to be in the photo:

Your airport claim is made on this web site and must include a photograph which identifies the airport in some way and has the challenge password visible. The challenge password is "Go Fly America". A printable sheet you can use in your photographs can be found here, but you can make your own as well. Just remember that the words "Go Fly America" must appear in the airport photo or the claim can not be approved.

Most folks seem to think that the photos add quite a bit to the challenge. It's not difficult to do, and we've seen over 1,300 claims that meet at least the spirit of the rule in one way or another. Some are very clever. But, there are others who feel the same way you do about it and they refuse to participate. And that's OK, it's supposed to be fun.

Deafsound,

The guy who wrote that website is an idiot. But I'm not sure I'm following you. When you click on BED where does it list pilots? Can you get to the page your talking about and paste the link to it here?

Thanks.
The link doesn't really do what it's supposed to, so go to "Pilot Search" type in KBED....three names come up including mine.
Now if you do the same for KOWD, you get the airport claim and no pilot names.
So, you can only see who flies out of any airport if it hasn't been claimed yet.
Am I being clear?
Thanks
DW

Judy,

There is no rule calling for the date or your airplane to be in the photo:

Most folks seem to think that the photos add quite a bit to the challenge. It's not difficult to do, and we've seen over 1,300 claims that meet at least the spirit of the rule in one way or another. Some are very clever. But, there are others who feel the same way you do about it and they refuse to participate. And that's OK, it's supposed to be fun.

I thought the picture requirement was a little silly, but I could see the point. I included my airplane because it proved I was there--otherwise I could have just downloaded any old picture off the internet!

Anyway, I was having fun, right up until I found out you have to somehow get the words into the picture, which I totally don't get. I don't suppose photoshopping them in would be acceptable. I can easily do that, once my claims are rejected. Had I known there were a bunch of rules other than taking a picture, I could have tried to get a sign in, but having gone to the trouble of trying to remember to take a picture at fuel stops, which is definitely not my usual mode (and I forgot a couple), I'm a bit hacked off that my claims aren't valid because of a silly sign.

And somewhere on the website it did say a date was required, but I can't find it now.

Oh well. Back to the drawing board.

Judy

...but having gone to the trouble of trying to remember to take a picture at fuel stops, which is definitely not my usual mode (and I forgot a couple),

I've done the same thing. I normally remember just about the time I put the gear up as I'm leaving.

I'm a bit hacked off that my claims aren't valid because of a silly sign.

I know. Sorry about that. But NICK make all the rules. Blame NICK. It's not my fault. It's all NICK!!!

OK, not really. We were just looking for a way to start with claims and stories from scratch and to remove the temptation to claim airports folks have been to before the challenge started. The photo idea with a password was an idea that came from someone on the board as I remember it. Some people hate it, some don't mind, others like it.

And somewhere on the website it did say a date was required, but I can't find it now.

If you find it you will simply prove once again that I'm an idiot. We never intended to require a date on the photograph, so if I put that on the site it was my error.

Oh well. Back to the drawing board.

Judy

Ahhhh. That's the spirit! Remember, it's all NICK's fault. :D

OK, I'm just being snarky and churlish because I'm mostly ticked off at myself for not actually reading the rules beforehand and for missing being able to claim several airports. This from someone who religiously keeps up to date A/FDs and even reads them. You haven't answered about photoshopping in the goflyamerica banner, though. <grin>

Judy

There's some pretty challenging bush strips out there that might not get claimed for some time.

Oh, how I would love to be the one to claim the Greater Green River Intergalactic Spaceport (48U, IIRC) but that whole thing about broken glass and fireworks debris kinds of turned me off a bit...

Why? It's a PHONE!!! That's all I need it for, want it for, use it for. All this crap on phones is almost as retarded as the refrigerator with a TV built into it. Now, I'm sorry, but I really don't want the woman who should be making my dinner screwing it up because she got mad at something she saw on Dr Phil while she should be cookin!

So did you get your iPhone5 yet?

Back