How long til I seek a doc?

U

Unregistered

2 or 3 days ago I noticed a pain (more of a soreness with medium to medium-high pain if I lean or bend) on my left side at about the bottom rib that I initially assumed to be muscle soreness. I've been thinking for a while and I can't pin-point any activity that'd cause muscle pain in just 1 spot without effecting any other muscles at all. Also it seems to be very localized to an area about the size of a fist.

My general rule about seeing docs is to go only if I'm going to lose something or the symptoms get in the way of normal activities for over 5 days.

Is there a general rule about when to seek out doc about unexplained pains?
If this goes away on its own should I still seek out a doc?

How old are you? Man or woman?

-Skip

27, male, no know medical conditions. No medications, supplements, vitamins, or herbals.

Only other big thing I can think may be tangentially relevant is a wildly high BMI around 39-40. I'm about 5'11" 275lbs which is currently a loss of 12 lbs over 2-3 months by reducing calories from my pre-diet 3000+ to 1800 per day & light-moderate exercise. (meaning .5 - 1.5 miles walks 2x-4x a week & stairs instead of escalator, etc).

Does your insurance company have a call in line - typically staffed by nurses - that give advice on this sort of thing? Many do. It might be worth checking...

A week without symptoms getting better is my rule of thumb for chronic, unexplained pain. After that my doctor gets to have a look.

What would you do if your child had your symptoms?

Please be aware that the Docs here don't give medical advice over the internet. They do, however, give certification advice. I think the suggestion to call the nurse line at the insurance company is a very good one. -Skip

My general rule about seeing docs is to go only if I'm going to lose something or the symptoms get in the way of normal activities for over 5 days.

If you are having NO OTHER SYMPTOMS... no nausea, no vomiting, no constipation, no discolored stools, no unusual bleeding gums, no masses you can feel anywhere, no unusual fatigue, shortness of breath, yada yada... nothing else at all, then your 5 day rule isn't out of line.

No way to examine you over the net, and the ache, by itself is a very non-specific symtom.. it could mean many many things, or nothing at all.

You are the best judge of how much this thing is bothering you. If you are noticing it and it persists, might be a hint to do something bout it.

Dave

When I couldn't go out one night due to the pain I called the nurse line of my health co. She asked a few questions and had me do a few diagnostic things to myself (i.e. "Jump and tell me if it hurts") and sounded particularly concerned in telling me to see the doc. Went to the doc the next morning.

Diagnosis: Sore ribs and/or muscle.
I'm not to lift heavy items for a while (don't know why I continued to do so through the pain).

Thanks everyone. I wasn't attempting to get a diagnosis over the net. I'd be wrong to asks for any of the docs here for free medical advice. I was just looking for help on my go/no go decision.

It went beyond 5 days and interrupted my normal activities. So it was reluctant "I'll go after doing a, b, & c tomorrow" turning to "go" after calling the nurse.

27, male, no know medical conditions. No medications, supplements, vitamins, or herbals.

Only other big thing I can think may be tangentially relevant is a wildly high BMI around 39-40. I'm about 5'11" 275lbs which is currently a loss of 12 lbs over 2-3 months by reducing calories from my pre-diet 3000+ to 1800 per day & light-moderate exercise. (meaning .5 - 1.5 miles walks 2x-4x a week & stairs instead of escalator, etc).

If anyone is curious, this is not me.

BTW, I'm not a doctor, but I'd go sooner than later. This is similar to the description of pain my Niece had before she was diagnosed with Leukemia (not to scare you, it could be nothing).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back