How long for the NTSB to put up a report?

deafsound

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
i arrrghhmmmmpppth
I was just wondering about that family that crashed in CO last week, or maybe two weeks ago. And also the Angel Flight that crashed near BOS a few weeks ago. Nothing on the NTSB site yet. Made me wonder how long it takes for a preliminary report usually?

The raw data (place, injuries/fatalities, etc) usually goes up pretty quickly IIRC. Narrative and probable cause can take a long time.

The preliminary report comes first. Generally it takes about 3-5 working days, depending on how serious it was and whether the original investigator was an FAA guy or an NTSB guy. After about 6-8 weeks, the prelim will be augmented by the factual report, which basically is simply a form stating who what when, but leaving out the why and how. The final report will fill in those blanks, but typically 10 months later at a minimum, 12-14 months after the accident on average, and some complicated investigations take several years.

With so much resting on the results of most of these investigations, I'm glad they do take the time to review again and again.

Back