How Long for Special Issuance?

35B33

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Cal
I have been on one year SIs for the past several years with the AME doing the exam, reviewing my recent testing, and calling CAMI for authorization to issue. I usually get the 3rd class within a few days followed by a letter ~3 months later detailing the requirements for the next year.

This year, and the past few, they have asked for the following year's supporting documents be sent directly to OK City, but the 3rd class exam not required for two years.

My AME has insisted on an exam each year to issue sooner rather than waiting for the CAMI SI. He also asks for additional documentation not in the SI letter because he wants supporting information for the exam.

If I send the required information directly to CAMI 4-6 weeks before expiration, what are the chances of a new SI before expiration?

I don't believe 4-6 weeks will be enough time. Even before the shut down it was around a 90 day wait. Now I believe they are still clearing out a backlog from the shutdown so the wait is longer.

Dr. Bruce will obviously know the approximate wait times better than I.

I recall Bruce saying it's taking about 105-110 days to clear a submission to OKC. So we approaching the 4 month level.

He also shared that the "entry level" reviewers each have a massive number to work through (>1000?).

This backlog makes it very important for the Airman to (1) stay healthy, (2) own their medical, meaning do EVERYthing required to make issuance a simple thing and remain at the AME level, and (3) find an AME that meets all of Bruce's checkboxes for a top shelf AME.

If you can accomplish that, you can avoid the OKC quagmire.

I was hoping an updated response to a single item would get a faster track than a 'new' medical exam.

Or the annual 3rd class may be the AME's way of getting a more immediate verbal authorization. This past spring's changes may have improved the situation.

I was hoping an updated response to a single item would get a faster track than a 'new' medical exam.

Or the annual 3rd class may be the AME's way of getting a more immediate verbal authorization. This past spring's changes may have improved the situation.

For some medical conditions, they have. And I think the top AME's are asking that more of the simple SI's be put into the CACI framework.

Didn't we hear they're backlogged 55,000 cases now? I have a student who has been on an 11 month quest for a Third Class. Untold dollars spent trying to satisfy the most nit-picky items (one sibling and one parent had migraines, so needed Dr. statement she didn't suffer from migraines, even though she's never had one nor ever been treated for migraines.) The last round was submitted a month ago. Still no word.

(one sibling and one parent had migraines, so needed Dr. statement she didn't suffer from migraines, even though she's never had one nor ever been treated for migraines.)

How did they find out about the sibling's and parent's health history? I don't recall seeing any questions about family health history on the form. :confused:

Didn't we hear they're backlogged 55,000 cases now? I have a student who has been on an 11 month quest for a Third Class. Untold dollars spent trying to satisfy the most nit-picky items (one sibling and one parent had migraines, so needed Dr. statement she didn't suffer from migraines, even though she's never had one nor ever been treated for migraines.) The last round was submitted a month ago. Still no word.
Well, Loren, she has the wrong AME.

There are about 30,000 cases in the SI cycle.
Each reviewer has 1,000 in his/her inbox
the "fetch Queue" is now 105 days.

The Sleep Apnea program even at BMI=40 threatens to sink the ship. This is gonna be interesting.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back