How long does it take the NTSB?

I don't get it. They can tame years to come up with the report, in the mean time everyone has forgotten abouttthe wreck and no one cares..... Or more importantly learn from the mistake. It is a poor system of reporting.

I don't get it. They can tame years to come up with the report, in the mean time everyone has forgotten abouttthe wreck and no one cares..... Or more importantly learn from the mistake. It is a poor system of reporting.

Hell, in this case, the great paragon of speedy resolution, the court system, has already thrown this "case" out of court.

This is the idiot "lawyer" (disbarred) who sued the A/C manufacturer because of their "deadly design defect" of not flying without fuel because of this case. Dismissed with prejudice.

Officially, the goal in six months. But it's just a goal.

Was this that bat$h!t crazy, conspiracy theory, blame everyone else, disbarred, wacko former attorney that forgot to do a proper flight plan accounting for wind, then took off without fuel?

Was this that bat$h!t crazy, conspiracy theory, blame everyone else, disbarred, wacko former attorney that forgot to do a proper flight plan accounting for wind, then took off without fuel?

Yes, it is the same bat**** crazy disbarred lawyer who landed because he was running out of fuel, then took off again without adding fuel and decided that the manufacturer had a design defect.

NTSB is a very small agency. I suppose they could go hire a bunch more Investigators to speed up the process and get these reports posted faster so folks on the internet would have something to talk about, but then the outcry of hiring too many government employees would be heard and how they really don't need all of these people.....

I find value in reading the most recent preliminary NTSB reports as part of my preflight.
I find it helps me to recognize a chain of mistakes I am making before I become an NTSB report.
The final report with the probable cause is also interesting and I feel the date of the event is not that important.
It appears to me that people continue to make the same mistakes.
I find value in the time I spend with the NTSB and feel it is a useful tool to help me to mitigate risk.
It has helped me to understand the purpose of many of the Federal Aviation Regulations.
It also helps me to calibrate my BS indicator.

There was an accident at Watsonville in July 2011, and the probable cause report is dated December 2013. I presume it took a long time because it was fatal.

Tim

They seem to be running about 2 years. I have two that I am waiting on now.

An accident investigator that I work with has suggested part of the problem is that they have taken on many tasks not directly related to accident investigation while their staff and budget have not been increase.

They seem to be running about 2 years. I have two that I am waiting on now.

An accident investigator that I work with has suggested part of the problem is that they have taken on many tasks not directly related to accident investigation while their staff and budget have not been increase.

But if you look at the month this accident happened, ~2/3 are either FINAL or FACTUAL.

Their goal is a report. Their goal is not a timely report. Bottom line. And as someone said, timely reports are more expensive. When the vast majority say "pilot error", and it's the same errors we've been reading about our whole lives, I don't think there's much of a business case to go any faster.

I believe they way it works is that the NTSB does the analysis and makes recommendations to the FAA. The FAA may or may not adopt the NTSBs recommendations.

Also realize it's hard to plan for accident response, I'm sure there are peaks and valleys in the work load. I would have no idea how the NTSB budgets and obtains proposals for hangar space and lab resources to house and reconstruct a large aircraft after fishing it from the ocean.

There is a lot of high tech forensic analysis that goes into pulling data together. One thing that is really improving is overall health monitoring of airplanes in operation and data recorder retrieval. The data set collected by the airline data acquisition units is far larger than what the FDRs can hold.

It's almost routine to pull a FDR for a hard landing or load exceedance event to see what inspections are required. At work I can see near real time ACARS reports, what maint alerts an aircraft is coming in with and there are airframer services that let me log in and set up automated reports. I can set it up so the server sends me an email if some monitored condition is exceeded on a particular aircraft while in flight.

I don't see why this matters. Dan is flying his RV-12 happily now and continues his schtick, his case is thrown out. FD's lawers received their money, the costs are passed onto other consumers. It's all over.

You aren't arguing with him on some veteran's board or blog out on the Internet, are you?

They are still waiting for him to return form 6120.1

I believe somewhere in the litigation around this incident (it was not accidental by any means), he was arguing that the NTSB has no jurisdiction over him or some other loony theory.

I don't see why this matters. Dan is flying his RV-12 happily now and continues his schtick, his case is thrown out. FD's lawers received their money, the costs are passed onto other consumers. It's all over.

You aren't arguing with him on some veteran's board or blog out on the Internet, are you?

If you are talking about DB, he ain't flying anything anymore. :rolleyes:

No, I took an interest in this crash when he came here to tell us how hard-done-by he was and how none of it was his fault.

It looks like something funky is in place with his SP cert too...so I don't know if he's flying his RV around anymore either.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back