how long does FlightAware take

Tantalum

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
San_Diego_Pilot
I could probably look this up, but asking here is easier

If I filed a flight plan last night in Foreflight, then how long for it to show up FlightAware? Usually it pops up 5-10 minutes later, but it is still not there about 12 hrs later. Foreflight has the confirmation email that it was filed, but we don't depart until 3/15 early morning.. I filed early figuring I can made an edit to it later on if needed

thanks!

Flight service sometimes doesn't upload the flight plan to the ATC system until a few hours before expected departure.

VFR or IFR? If it's VFR, than it *probably wont show up at all.

*If you get Flight Following from CD prior to departure, than it should show up under "Departures" after you're airborne, but not before like an IFR plan would.

When you file with ForeFlight for an IFR flightplan, it gets delivered to ATC 22 hours (ICAO format) or 3 hours before departure (FAA/Domestic). ForeFlight holds your flightplan in a pending queue if it is not yet time to deliver it. Only when your IFR flightplan is delivered to ATC does FlightAware know of your flightplan.

I filed early figuring I can made an edit to it later on if needed

You can make changes to your flightplan up until a certain time prior to your flight departing. The time varies by center, with NY center not allowing changes within 62 minutes of departure. Most centers are set to 47 minutes. If you get a message that your flightplan change has been rejected with "Manual coordination required", that means ATC needs you to contact them directly to make a change, so you either have to call or use the radio to work out the change. A change is any delay or other material difference in the route, departure, destination, ... If all that is happening is that you are changing your departure time, ATC will keep your existing flightplan active for two hours past the filed flight time, so it is an utter waste of time to change your flightplan if you are just departing later but well within the 2 hour window. Actually if you are leaving early, ATC might not have your clearance on hand, but can retrieve it if it has been delivered to center (-3 or -22 hours).

Back