How long are people staying?

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
I'm working on planning my trip and all. I have Monday the 1st off, so I can technically stay there out through Monday. My thought was most people were going to try to arrive on Friday, and stay through Sunday. Are people staying through Monday at all?

Last year we pretty much all left Sunday, though someone (Dave?) came through Monday after we'd all left. :(

We'll be leaving Sunday just as we did last year.

(of course, this all assumes that I can get my shift covered at work on Saturday AM -- who the heck decides NOT to guarantee vacation time off for the first 2 weeks of school!?)

im sure we'll find someone to cover your shift chris. and i plan to leave w/joneses on sunday.

Everyone is welcome to stay as long as you would like.
This is the U.P. so it starts snowing in Sept,oh and the airport shuts down Nov 1st until Spring.

Ok, looks like I'll plan on leaving about the same time as everyone else, then! I'll probably plan on the same as I did for Osh - leave when I get bored. :)

By the way, at least some of you are planning on arriving on Friday, right? :)

im sure we'll find someone to cover your shift chris. and i plan to leave w/joneses on sunday.

Got a phone call from a guy today that is willing to trade his Thursday shift for my Saturday shift so he can go to the football game here Thursday night. I'll have to skip my Marketing 340 class on Thursday, but barring an exam the first week of class, I don't see a problem with missing it. ;)

And yes, Ted - the Ames representation will be departing here around 1:30ish (I think), which will put us there 4ish.

There will be people arriving Wednesday. If anyone wants to go up Thursday, give a call on the unicom, someone should be around to meet and greet ya. I'll be up Friday around 1700z.

leah feels better about skipping friday class now that we know for sure there will not be a quiz. she's such a Hermione. IMO, the earlier departure the better, glad you got sat. off chris.

I think the plan will be to attempt for a wheels up around 9 AM and we'll see how long it takes me to get out. It's 600 nm direct, which heading west will probably mean about 6 hours of flying time, plus losing a few hours to fuel stops and not going direct when I end up hitting IFR conditions.

I think the plan will be to attempt for a wheels up around 9 AM and we'll see how long it takes me to get out. It's 600 nm direct, which heading west will probably mean about 6 hours of flying time, plus losing a few hours to fuel stops and not going direct when I end up hitting IFR conditions.

So where are your fuel stops???? you can make it to metro detroit on one tank in the archer unless the wind in howeling... My suggestion is Toledo subburban but that just cauz then you get to write "DUH" in your log book. :goofy:

So where are your fuel stops???? you can make it to metro detroit on one tank in the archer unless the wind in howeling... My suggestion is Toledo subburban but that just cauz then you get to write "DUH" in your log book. :goofy:

Well, I wasn't planning on going via Toledo or Detroit seeing as that is definitely not in the right direction. My thought was to stop somewhere in the thumb (like KBAX, which is almost exactly a halfway mark) and then make it the rest of the way to 6Y9. Of course, part of this will end up depending on whether I can go VFR or IFR. The intention will be to go VFR if the weather allows it since I can't file direct in the Archer...

I also figure I'd end up stopping someplace closer to 6Y9 so I'd have a decent amount of fuel for any rides I give, etc., or else make plans to take a ride over to fill up somewhere Saturday morning, depending on what time it looked like I'd be arriving.

Last edited:
Well, I wasn't planning on going via Toledo or Detroit seeing as that is definitely not in the right direction. My thought was to stop somewhere in the thumb (like KBAX, which is almost exactly a halfway mark) and then make it the rest of the way to 6Y9. Of course, part of this will end up depending on whether I can go VFR or IFR. The intention will be to go VFR if the weather allows it since I can't file direct in the Archer...

Have fun with navcanada! Bad Axe is a great little airport and if you have need for lunch or something they have Airport bikes instead of an airport car.

I also figure I'd end up stopping someplace closer to 6Y9 so I'd have a decent amount of fuel for any rides I give, etc., or else make plans to take a ride over to fill up somewhere Saturday morning, depending on what time it looked like I'd be arriving.

FWIW...

What about PCN http://www.pellstonairport.com/? I've never been there but, they have a branch of my favorite restaurant – the Village Inn http://www.viofmackinac.com/
– you need to order the planked whitefish at least once - they get it fresh out of the straits.

Disclaimer: I've only eaten at the Mackinic Island location, YMMV, etc.

What about PCN http://www.pellstonairport.com/? I've never been there but, they have a branch of my favorite restaurant – the Village Inn http://www.viofmackinac.com/
– you need to order the planked whitefish at least once - they get it fresh out of the straits.
I've been to Pellston Airport and there is not a whole lot there except for the FBO (which is small but nice) and the Holiday Inn across the street where I spent four nights. I must confess I didn't see the Village Inn but I had a car and didn't hang around the airport area much. I figured that the reason the airport exists at all is to provide airline service and longer runways to people who are visiting Mackinac Island and places like Harbor Springs and Charlevoix.

And here I was hoping that Mari was going to come see us. :(

Like I said, we'll see what airport I intend on stopping at. At this point, I'm working on specifics. I suppose I tend to pick airports about like my instructor does - where it's convenient.

Ted confirm on filling up before 6Y9er with Ed. From what I hear you may want to come in lighter and fill up afterward so as to assure getting out ok. Then again the strip is longer and your solo and less than an FAA Adult but still check with Ed.

Can't come except for Monday (dangnabbit my surgeon took call again this weekend). So if everyone is going to be gone, I'll just stay at home....

Ted confirm on filling up before 6Y9er with Ed. From what I hear you may want to come in lighter and fill up afterward so as to assure getting out ok. Then again the strip is longer and your solo and less than an FAA Adult but still check with Ed.

Hey Ed! Got an answer on this one?

I've done takeoffs with the Archer out of 2500 ft stips with 4 adults and half fuel, so the thing can do it fine. But... that was at sea level.

Hey Ed! Got an answer on this one?

I've done takeoffs with the Archer out of 2500 ft stips with 4 adults and half fuel, so the thing can do it fine. But... that was at sea level.

I've had my Cherokee in there with me and passengers and full fuel minus 25 minutes. I wouldn't think it to be an issue if you fill up at IMT or SAW. I think SAW is cheaper, and 45 minutes out.

Can't come except for Monday (dangnabbit my surgeon took call again this weekend). So if everyone is going to be gone, I'll just stay at home....

Anticipating a Monday morning departure. Gotta get Adam back to GRR for a 3-something flight.

I'm leaving Sunday afternoon so I can get home before things get completely crazy because of the convention in the Cities (which are nearly on my direct route of flight).

I've been to Pellston Airport and there is not a whole lot there except for the FBO (which is small but nice) and the Holiday Inn across the street where I spent four nights. I must confess I didn't see the Village Inn but I had a car and didn't hang around the airport area much. I figured that the reason the airport exists at all is to provide airline service and longer runways to people who are visiting Mackinac Island and places like Harbor Springs and Charlevoix.

It's also the base for the FedEx and UPS planes for the Upper lower penisula runs.

Back