How long after you received your PPL did you take passengers?

My wife within a couple of days of my checkride,I figured the skills would still be fresh in my mind so she would be real impressed by my flying ability ! ....still not sure she was impressed ...:lol:

Took my wife on a 60 mile ride to grab some burgers 2 weeks after getting my PPL. It was her birthday and I was more nervous than she was. We had a smooth and memorable flight though. Thank God for clear skies!

Took my best friend up 2 days later. Had to wait for the weekend.

Took my son up the very next day.
I'd been flying my instructor around for a year, I supposed I was ready.

30 minutes. Just long enough to fly back to my home field and pickup my wife for a sunset spin around town.

I lost my medical in 1980. I hadn't flown again until 2009 when my wife passed her checkride. I was waiting for her at the airport, and as soon as the paperwork was completed, we went up in the 152 she trained in. (what a piece of crap, but we loved it). Flew from Daytona Beach to St.Augustine and had to hurry back and landed right about sunset. It was one of the best flights I have ever been on. She broke the 1,000 hour mark on our flight to Alaska in June of this year.

The following weekend, To 1N7, Blairstown, for lunch with my girlfriend at the time. Pretty flight over Delaware water Gap. That was 20 yrs ago!! Was comfortable going there, had my checkride there, soloed to There. Seemed like the natural selection.
Come to think of it, most places I take ppl I’ve done by myself or with a cfi first, is that weird??

27 day after with my wife. That was also the next time I flew after getting it.

Mine was a few months later. Co-worker.

Flew over DFW and DAL to KTKI. When we got back and were taxiing to parking I said, "Thanks for being my first victim." He said, "Are you kidding me man? If I knew that I would never have come."

Apparently I did something right. We did several work day trips after that. [Legal wants me to add: The flying was incidental to the purpose of the trip and I received no compensation or reimbursement for the cost of the flights]

I completed my PPL on July 24th but I have yet to take passengers. I feel confident enough, I just haven't had a person reach out to me that is interested that would also be comfortable in our 152. When I finally get checked out in our club 172s I feel as though I will have more opportunity to take people. I think my girlfriend is going to fly with me this weekend though in the 152.

36 Days. I took my wife and youngest daughter for a ride.

I think my first passengers were a couple of weeks after the checkride. I was 18, and took my mom and brother on a long XC to go visit my dad in the east San Francisco Bay area, where had already relocated for his new job. Got horribly lost and didn't get found until I saw Oakland airport below us, with the sun rapidly going down.

A few weeks later I finally got to fly with my dad, who had been a pilot. Mud daubers blocked the pitot tube right after takeoff, so we stayed in the pattern. He wouldn't let me raise the nose to climb or pull the throttle back, so I flew the pattern at full power at about 300'. Came screaming down final at what had to be 100 knots and used at least half of the 8000' available on 29L at Fresno. That was the only time we got to fly together.

About a week after my checkride which happened in deteriorating weather that took a week to clear. Took my then girlfriend (now my wife) for what turned out to be one lap around the pattern. A crosswind gust caught our 150 as it rose above the tree line and rolled the plane maybe 20 degrees. She immediately exercised her prerogative to terminate the flight whenever she became uncomfortable. Now I know better than to take someone unfamiliar with small aircraft flight up on a gusty crosswind day.

Back