How is simulator time valued by Insurers and Employers?

MarkH

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MarkH
As I wait to take my PPL Checkride, I am trying to plan my next training goal.

My initial plan was to go PPL->Tailwheel->Spin->Instrument->PMEL->CSEL->CMEL, but after discussing the instrument training with my CFI, and reading the FAA letter associated with the flight simulator, I am wondering if I may get a better bang for my buck if I do my simulator training with the sim in Multiengine mode.

I know that the multiengine sim time will not count toward ATP min (because it's not in an approved program), but will insurers (and therefor employers) count it toward low time pilot jobs?

Also, would it have the same value if I do it without getting my Multi-Engine Rating first, and I log it as dual rather than PIC sim time?

Purely my opinion as the former owner of a simulator training facility....no one will count it for anything as part of a hiring decision.

Bob

As Bob mentioned not many, if any, companies will count sim time as real time.
That said the sims will help you save money in your training by exposing you to navigation, maneuvers, instrumentation, techniques... if done correctly.
The problem with the sim users, if not used correctly, is that they develop bad habits are are difficult to correct later.

I know that the multiengine sim time will not count toward ATP min (because it's not in an approved program), but will insurers (and therefor employers) count it toward low time pilot jobs?

Agree with the others. Most employers are looking for Total Time and PIC Time, as well as whatever else might fit their niche... i.e., actual, retract, mountain, type, etc...

However most, if any, don't care about sim time.

Back