How is KJGG Airport?

drotto

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
drotto
I am likely flying down to Williamsburg Jamestown airport in two weekends. Anyone have experience with this airport? How far ahead to I have to call for tie down space. Will rental car companies leave the car there for me? You know standard stuff. Any info would be great.

Flown there multiple times. Never had an issue getting tie down space.
I would call and ask though if you are going for a holiday weekend.

Tim

I fly out of JGG a fair amount (do biplane rides there in the Waco). It is a nice quiet little airport with a great restaurant. I don't think there is any need to call ahead to reserve tie-down space (plenty of tiedowns on the ramp - not crowded), but you should call in advance to ask about rental car arrangements. I don't think they have any cars on site, but with a call ahead they should be able to have the car there for you.

Other things of interest: relatively narrow runway. Little bumpy, but nothing to fear. Lots of tall trees next to the runway, so if there is any wind, expect some turbulence off the trees and be prepared to go around and try again.

I have honestly done more go-arounds at JGG than any other airport, but flying a 1930's biplane has a lot to do with that. In other words, don't worry/sweat it, but be prepared.

Haven't been there in a while, but it was quite friendly. Good pie.

Don't hit the 100ft mulch pile on short final (airport is owned by the mulch company).

Keep in mind, it's right traffic for runway 13 so keep your eyes open for oncoming traffic on downwind on a no wind day.

Eat a sandwich. It's the law.

We have been in and out of JGG many times. Great little airport, excellent food at Charlys located in the terminal. I call ahead to have a car ready, simple and easy. Line service has always been very good. I needed a flat repaired when the nose gear tire decided to go flat on roll out and despite the weekend, I was back in the air in short order thanks to Williamsburg Flight Center.

Check out the Williamsburg winery just a short 5-10 minute drive from the airport, nice tour and also good eats at the Tavern.

Last edited:
Can't add much, above covers it. Friendly, privately-owned old time airport. Runway/taxi/tiedown asphalt a bit beat but usable. Went down with the wife for a short vacation (Kingsmill Resort- recommended). If you are staying for more than a few days, get the "week" rate for tiedown, better than daily rate, I think it was $70 but don't quote me- call. As Gary said, the winery is right around the corner from the airport, was fun for a rainy day, and tavern chow was good (if you're not just a "pub menu" guy.) Bought a few bottles of wine.

Enterprise will leave a car for you, call ahead since they are offsite. Definitely need a car if you're going to do local tours.

I fly out of JGG a fair amount (do biplane rides there in the Waco). It is a nice quiet little airport with a great restaurant. I don't think there is any need to call ahead to reserve tie-down space (plenty of tiedowns on the ramp - not crowded), but you should call in advance to ask about rental car arrangements. I don't think they have any cars on site, but with a call ahead they should be able to have the car there for you.

Other things of interest: relatively narrow runway. Little bumpy, but nothing to fear. Lots of tall trees next to the runway, so if there is any wind, expect some turbulence off the trees and be prepared to go around and try again.

I have honestly done more go-arounds at JGG than any other airport, but flying a 1930's biplane has a lot to do with that. In other words, don't worry/sweat it, but be prepared.

In many ways looking at the info it looks a lot like the airport I learned at N87 (Robbinsville). Little shorter and narrower runway, but overall setup is similar. Even down to the trees along the runway, and the winds potentially making things squirely. Thanks for the input. Only holdup is I was really hoping to get my IFR done in time, but the examinar was booked solid for the next three weeks. I really don't want to do a 6 1/2 to 7 hr drive but will if I must.

Back