How Important is Relationship with Diagnosing Pysch? (ADHD+Depression)

G

g7cdhk

Hi folks. The thread title tells you most of it. Due to not really understanding the consequences of my actions, I have a poor relationship with the MD Psychiatrist who diagnosed me with ADHD and Depression in late 2019. This is due to a few late cancellations of appointments, a payment issue, and also losing contact with him while still on medications.

To give some background, I have not gotten in to any kind of training yet and would like to really sort things out thoroughly before starting up. In late 2019 I was going through a farily solid rough patch in my personal life. Started with a LCSW for some talk therapy but then escalated to the Psychiatrist level. I should note this was largely driven by my parents who simply want the best for me, but I wasn't always receptive at the time. I was 22 (now 23) and in my senior year of college (non-aviation related) at the time. Had to withdraw mid-semester but am finishing as we speak.

I had an ADHD diagnosis when I was 7 years old which I only learned about while going through it with the Psych. Parents kept that info from me. So obviously never medicated and never recieved school accomodations or anything of the sort. But with this Psych I recieved a new ADHD diagnosis coupled with Depression and maybe some Anxiety. I was prescribed both Adderrall and Zoloft. Now here's where things get fishy. I continued on this course for about one month but wasn't terribly impressed with the either medication. After about a month I late cancelled those appointments and also moved out of the area. As a result I phased off of the medications on my own.

How difficult will it be with a poor relationship from this? I don't know what the records might look like on his end. I also requested records to send to my school some time after losing contact with him. He did not like this request and wrote a scathing email in response where he also told me I have cognitive and personality issues, when this was not discussed during our appointments.

Is being on medications for such a sort period of time a positive? I know that diagnosis and medication are both equally troublesome but I would think the FAA might consider things differently due to the short term of use.

I was attempting to not turn this into the classic "wall of text" type of post, so apologies if details are unclear. Happy to clear things up in comments. Any help you folks can offer would be greatly appreciated! Just starting to dip my toes in to this whole world and a bit overwhelmed by it all so having a resource like this is invaluable.

The diagnosis of ADHD is enough of a red flag for the FAA.
Your options: Testing to prove (to the FAA's satisfaction) that it was all a big mistake, or sport / glider pilot (assuming you are safe to act as Pilot in Command).

Please try contacting HIMS AME Dr. Bruce Chien (@bbchien) at http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com. Click on the site's "How to Start" link, and describe your situation. Dr. Bruce is excellent, and you will get great and correct advice from him about how to proceed.

Good luck!

Go get a Light Sport Certificate and enjoy life ...

Please try contacting HIMS AME Dr. Bruce Chien (@bbchien) at http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com. Click on the site's "How to Start" link, and describe your situation. Dr. Bruce is excellent, and you will get great and correct advice from him about how to proceed.

Good luck!

Absolutely will do so. Have heard many sing the praises of Dr. Chien in my reading on complex medicals. Just wanted to clear things up as much as possible so I can present a clear, succinct summary of my situation. It seems he is active here and may stumble across this thread anyways.

Absolutely will do so. Have heard many sing the praises of Dr. Chien in my reading on complex medicals. Just wanted to clear things up as much as possible so I can present a clear, succinct summary of my situation. It seems he is active here and may stumble across this thread anyways.

Doc Bruce is pretty much the expert. Know upfront his policy is full honesty up front and when he says jump, your only question is “How high?”.

What you don't realize, is that if you have an affectual disorder (depression, anxiety, even if mild) you attention will NOT BE RIGHT. So the FAA's evaluation will include both Psychiatry and Psychology (attentional). The board certified psyhciatrist that saw you in the past has tremendous longitudinal power in this discussion. Go make amends.

You don't have to, but if you don't, application will be incredibly harder and more costly and we are talking nearly $6K in evaluative professional fees, and the outcome will not be nearly as favorable.

Like I said, go make amends.

What you don't realize, is that if you have an affectual disorder (depression, anxiety, even if mild) you attention will NOT BE RIGHT. So the FAA's evaluation will include both Psychiatry and Psychology (attentional). The board certified psyhciatrist that saw you in the past has tremendous longitudinal power in this discussion. Go make amends.

You don't have to, but if you don't, application will be incredibly harder and more costly and we are talking nearly $6K in evaluative professional fees, and the outcome will not be nearly as favorable.

Like I said, go make amends.

Understood. What would be helpful to get from this Psychiatrist? Should I get him to cite my improved condition whilst off of medication? I obviously have no desire or need to go back on to medications. I am not sure he would be willing to go back on any diagnoses. I am tending to think I will have to go through the Cogscreen and see a HIMS psych with regards to the ADHD no matter what happens. Am I correct in thinking that?

Also with the SSRI situation I don't fit into either Path 1 or 2. My first 60 days off the medication was entirely unmonitored, so no one will be able to speak to that. Despite my copious reading, I can't figure out how much of an issue past SSRI use is when it is well past 60 days.

You want his high detail diagnosis. diagnosis codes currently are Letter digit digit point digit digit digit digit. as in F10.1002.
These codes and his history give a clue (or he can say it in plain english) whether he's choosing a "reactive" diagnsois or a "recurrent" diagnosis or a "one off" diagnosis.
guest said:
I can't figure out how much of an issue past SSRI use is when it is well past 60 days.
...That's because you don't know what his observations told him about likelihood of recurrence. See, FAA denies 100% of recurrent disease, unmonitored and un treated.

You want his high detail diagnosis. diagnosis codes currently are Letter digit digit point digit digit digit digit. as in F10.1002.
These codes and his history give a clue (or he can say it in plain english) whether he's choosing a "reactive" diagnsois or a "recurrent" diagnosis or a "one off" diagnosis.
...That's because you don't know what his observations told him about likelihood of recurrence. See, FAA denies 100% of recurrent disease, unmonitored and un treated.
If I was in a similar situation as the OP and had the diagnostic code I was prescribed an SSRI for, how could I use that diagnostic code to determine whether the doctor was choosing a "reactive", "recurrent", or "one off" diagnosis? Is there a list someplace?

If I was in a similar situation as the OP and had the diagnostic code I was prescribed an SSRI for, how could I use that diagnostic code to determine whether the doctor was choosing a "reactive", "recurrent", or "one off" diagnosis? Is there a list someplace?

Try this for starters - https://icd.codes/

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back