How I spent my Com x/c

Chip Sylverne

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Quit with the negative waves, man.
Talk about a learning experience.

Since a good friend was going to be celebrating his big 5-0 in styl at PMP, I figured I would kill two birds with one stone, fire up the Cherokee ans point it south from FDK. Saturday was CAVU from FDK to about an hour or so north of my first planned stop at KHRJ. Cool. Have a gorgeous view down the Shenandoah valley. start to enter the scud. Tops were reported at 8K, but the freeze level was about the same, so I figured I would just get on the guages for a little actual. After being in it for an hour or so, got vectors for the RNAV GPS 5 into HRJ, broke out 1000 agl for a nice easy arrival into HRJ.

Fuel up and check weather for the next leg to OMN. Radar looks good, showing some green and a touch of yellow associated with a front behind me, so I figure I'll be out of IMC about an hour south.

I could have not been more wrong.

I take off into the scud, get vectored around a bit before I head on course. About an hour and fifteen minutes into IMC I figure I better call 122.0 and get a weather update. Ask to leave the freq. Nothing. Nada. Then I realize it' been a while since I've received any calls. Switch to com 2. Same result. Now it's starting to get darker, and raining hard enough so I'm getting water in the cockpit. Oh well. I'm nordo for now. Squalk 7600 and fly the clearance.

The the ASI starts it's little dance. Down to about 70 mph, then back up to 110, then slowly down to 80, then up to 90. Then down to 60, then back up. Look up at the OAT and it reads about 10C above freeze. Can't be pitot ice, unless the oat guage is farged. Turn on pitot heat anyway. Look at the ammeter to make sure there's current draw. No change in the asi fluctuations. ****. Nail the little dot to the horizon, set the power and fly attitude. Keep an eye on the gs readout on the GPS to check far any big excursions. Getting darker, raining harder. Getting bounced a bit. There was no convective sigmet, but this was supposed to be light rain. Ride it out. SSI was reporting clear, so keep heading that direction and you'll break out. Try center again. Nope.

This goes on for roughly three hours until about 40 Miles north of SSI the weather lets up a bit and the coms come back. Check in. Break out about 15 mins later and good vfr to OMN. Breath deep and unpucker. Get a visual into OMN to land. Turn base to final ASI drops like a rock. ****, the classic base to final spin! Get some airspeed fast, but wait, the stall warning never came on. Land hot and float a loooong way down the runway. I musta come in at 90 kts. Taxi to the pumps to fuel up. Take a look a the pitot tube to see if there's any thing amiss. Nope, so I get my clearance and taxi for take off. Line up, push the throttle in, gaining speed. approaching what feels like rotation speed, no asi needle. Abort and taxi to the FBO. Being Saturday at 5pm, no A/I.

Monday, RAM Aviation found a bug had crawled into the pitot system line and croaked. With all the water, it swelled enough to partially block the line.

Talk about a learning experience.
Monday, RAM Aviation found a bug had crawled into the pitot system line and croaked. With all the water, it swelled enough to partially block the line.

Do you use a pitot cover when on the ground? Or was it one of those one in a billion direct bug hits?

Do you use a pitot cover when on the ground? Or was it one of those one in a billion direct bug hits?

We have a hangar, so covering the pitot was not done 100% of the time. That's gonna change.

Nice write up Chip. Too bad it won't count as your Commercial VFR solo cross-country. I hope the trip home will though.

Joe

What caused your com outage? Did you find the cause of that?

Yep. This is where the saga continues.

To check the ASI and Comms I made a short 60nm hop from OMN to CRG. No problems. Both comms checked on the ground at OMN and used both in the air to CRG. Super. Decided to spend the night with a friend I have in Jax and head out the next day for FDK.

File and take off into a 5K foot overcast. I was going to to go SSI to FLO for a fuel stop, but I checked with Flight watch and found FLO wasn't clearing as forecast so amended to CAE which was reporting 3500 sct 5000 ovc. I'd be in and out of the little white puffies along the route. No prob. I get to SAV and approach tells me I'm breaking up, unreadable. Call Jax ctr. The too tell me they are getting a carrier but no voice. Pull out the trusty handheld with new "rechargeable" which had been fully charged a week before. Get off a single call before the thing goes flat dead. I cannot win at this point! They call me back and tell me if I can read, punch IDENT. 10-4 good buddy. At least we can communicate that way, and this gets me all the way to approach vectors for CAE.

We do not pay, nor appreciate, controllers as much as we should.

Anyway, along the way I try everything, change the batteries in the portable intercom, switch the ptt buttons, cycle the headset and mike plugs, bypass the intercam altogether and plug the pencil mike directly into the panel jack. Nada, zip.

On the ground at CAE, I taxi into Eagle Aviation and they send over a radio guy. We start to troubleshoot. Come up with nada. Finally, he plugs his pencil mike into the panel jack and we're 5x5. Apparently the portable intercom has an intermittant problem in the wiring somewhere, and our old handmike hadn't been used for so long it wouldn't modulate. No charge for the avionics guy. They now have a customer for life.

Bought a new hand mike for $130, plugged it into the panel jack along with the headphone portion of the headset and had perfect com all the way home.

But, and this is the kicker, I get the bird back into the hanger at FDK to post flight the engine, which I always do, and what do I see but two of the panhead screws that hold the number two valve cover on are missing, one more is finger tight and oil had started dripping onto the exhaust stack! We are not yet 25 hours out of annual! Had that sucker let go, it would have been a disaster.

Nice write up Chip. Too bad it won't count as your Commercial VFR solo cross-country. I hope the trip home will though.

Joe

Are you kiddin me? The X/C has to be VFR?
THAT"S IT!!!!

Are you kiddin me? The X/C has to be VFR?
THAT"S IT!!!!
I apologize. I just went to look it up and either it changed recently or I just plain blew it

§ 61.129 Aeronautical experience.

(i) One cross-country flight of not less than 300 nautical miles total distance, with landings at a minimum of three points, one of which is a straight-line distance of at least 250 nautical miles from the original departure point. However, if this requirement is being met in Hawaii, the longest segment need only have a straight-line distance of at least 150 nautical miles; and
Sorry, it doesn't say anything about VFR like the other requirements.

Joe

I apologize. I just went to look it up and either it changed recently or I just plain blew it

Joe

The part you should be questioning is the solo, not the weather. The (i) that you quote comes under "(4) 10 hours of solo flight in a single-engine airplane on the areas of operation in 61.127(b)(1) of this part, which includes at least...(i)" :(

Bob Gardner

The part you should be questioning is the solo, not the weather. The (i) that you quote comes under "(4) 10 hours of solo flight in a single-engine airplane on the areas of operation in 61.127(b)(1) of this part, which includes at least...(i)" :(

Bob Gardner
In the original post, it sounded like he was solo, going to visit a buddy, not taking his buddy with him.

Joe
The long one does not need to be VFR it is the shorter ones.

(3) 20 hours of training on the areas of operation listed in
Sec. 61.127(b)(2) of this part that includes at least--
(i) 10 hours of instrument training of which at least 5 hours must
be in a multiengine airplane;
(ii) 10 hours of training in a multiengine airplane that has a
retractable landing gear, flaps, and controllable pitch propellers, or
is turbine-powered, or for an applicant seeking a multiengine seaplane
rating, 10 hours of training in a multiengine seaplane that has flaps
and a controllable pitch propeller;
(iii) One cross-country flight of at least 2 hours in a multiengine
airplane in day VFR conditions, consisting of a total straight-line
distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of
departure;
(iv) One cross-country flight of at least 2 hours in a multiengine
airplane in night VFR conditions, consisting of a total straight-line
distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of
Those are part of 'training', so they should be with an instructor on board.
departure;

Joe

Joe,

Don't worry about it - It *did* say VFR in the past, but it appears that the part 61 changes that were proposed about a year ago must have finally gone into effect... Or at least one of them did. ;)

Joe,

Don't worry about it - It *did* say VFR in the past, but it appears that the part 61 changes that were proposed about a year ago must have finally gone into effect... Or at least one of them did. ;)
Well it was changed long before a year ago. When I did my commercial three years ago there was no mention of it. I remember because my CFI had our first of several discussion about what the FARs actually said. He insisted that it had to be VFR, I made him show me. The best he could do was to point at the two shorter ones and and say "see VFR". After shaking my head and explaining it to him he still did not get it and it took our first call to the FSDO and they explained it to him.

This happened yet again with another issue that is not pertinent here and along with his teaching style I ended up flying with a different instructor who was a better match. I should add that the particular CFI I was flying with was a recent grad of a CFI mill and most of his arguments on how to do things were 'this is how I was taught'. I was paying for experience and was not getting it. But I don't want this to be a rant about some younger CFIs.

Bob Gardner

No reason to question.
Solo flight.

Joe

Apology absolutely accepted.
That would have just taken the cake.

We have a hangar, so covering the pitot was not done 100% of the time. That's gonna change.

Yes... ain't no such thing as a bug-proof hangar, no matter how tight it is. ;)

All in all, that's one of those stories you can pull up out of the memory banks next time you're feeling bored on a flight... should be very soothing in that context. :D

You should contact Will Hawkins and tell the tale on The Pilot's Flight Podlog...

Back