How I solved the region's power failure

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
I gather Scott, too, had his power go off at around 8 AM Monday morning. I got up when the power died just in time to hear why they say a tornado sounds like freight train. 70MPH winds sound like a freight train.

I only lost a bunch of tree branches, mostly because my weaker trees were felled last year. We lost a good sized oak next door.

To show my "good planning" although not even rain was forecast, I had let the car gas tank be dry. I've been getting a low fuel light since the previous Wednesday. I trusted that the fuel gauge in the wagon is way pessimistic. I've never put in more than 10 gallons at a fill up and it hold a lot more.

So we're leaving the driveway Monday morning on fumes, and I warned that we may end up pushing it, heading north to find a gas station with power which we heard was on the line just short of Wisconsin. What I didn't count on was all of the backups due to traffic lights being out. In the end it took about an hour until I pulled up to the first pump that worked, and added 11 gallons. :redface: I watched a kid filling up about 6 big gas cans.

There are trees and power lines down everywhere. A 6 foot diameter 100 year old tree downtown broke into chunks. The village told us to conserve water because per SNAFU they didn't have power for the pumps.

I got online at 2PM using WiFi in Kenosha to get into work and tell the boss that I was offline.

I recalled my previous hours of research into buying a generator where it occurred to me that there's no point in having a gasoline generator if you can't get gasoline. I had a tri-fuel generator on my wish list. My co-worker just reminded me of the east coast blackout where there was no power anywhere from Detroit to the Atlantic.

It took a while until we realized that this one was going to be long one. Once I had hashed out in my head that I really did need to buy a generator, we drove south late Monday night, intending to go as far as Gary, only to have the guy at Home Depot actually laugh at me for not being in crowd lined up at 8 AM. :mad3:

I remembered my learned lesson to never try to shop store to store. We had dinner and stole power at Steak and Shake while I researched and eventually ordered a small 4500 watt generator from Amazon using the iPhone app. I remembered that I could actually get one day delivery for $3.99 with Amazon Prime. Suckas! Since it was late I had to hold out without power until the thing arrived Wednesday morning. I bought two more 5 gallon gas cans at Lowes.

I told all that what would happen was our power would go on before my generator left the truck.

I ended up back in Kenosha on Tuesday to work at a Panera Bread and buy the 800 watt inverter, heavy power cords and supplies at Menards. I noted that they were sold out of the cheap orange 16 gauge cords because your average Joe Six Pack was cheaping out and risking fire, overloaded cords, and low voltages. :dunno:

I tried using the new 800 watt inverter. It couldn't power the fridge, and I have two full of food. I bought 4 20 lb bags of ice to put in the fridges just as they were getting to the hot 85 degree room temperature.

My neighbor grabbed me and we drove Tuesday night all the way to right near KLOT, about 75 miles south, to borrow a generator from his friend. We filled three 5 gallon gas cans, set it up and I rigged my new power cords to bring power to my place and got power on both fridges around midnight while he was able to drive his and his sump pump. My computer UPS didn't like the generator power so it beeped in protest.

I told the UPS delivery guy, who was kind enough to stop by me first when he saw the generator Wednesday morning that he beat the power company. But I was helping the neighbor connect his house panel to his generator. We pulled that off and he was able to get hot water from his gas heater with electric ejector to take a shower.

We heard from the John Deere repair guy who stopped by (Shouldda called first but...) that the power lines feeding us had trees on them in 3 places as they came east to us.

We set up my new generator. As I plugged in my house on that run the generator stalled. It was looking too small, but I restarted it and ran a heavy cable into the house intending to connect one fridge at a time when I noticed that the lights in the house were on. :mad2:

As I was saying, the town owes me.

I'm going to do some testing of my new one, but I'm still vowing to buy a bigger generator ASAP.

I was sore beyond belief, frazzled and beat ta death but in the end I won the battle and we didn't lose any food in the fridges. They are still some 100,000 homes with no power until Firday or later. :yikes:

Some lessons learned for ya all: Many big box stores and even the local Ace had a good supply of generators by Wednesday. They all had them trucked in overnight.

Mine will be ready to go. I figure we'll have the usual 2-3 more power failures before the year is out.

Last edited:
Owning a generator is the best insurance against power outages. In 2004/2005 we had 5 hurricanes that knocked our power out each time for anywhere between 3 and 10 days. On the last hurricane I finally broke down and bought a generator. We used it once for about 3 days. We have not had another power outage to last more than 30 minutes since. So the generator worked.

Now that you have a generator, see if you can find anyplace that sells non-ethanol gasoline. We have one place that sells this. It is a barbeque grill store that also does a big propane business. I use that in all of my small gas engines that don't run the gas out in a few weeks.

Yup. I have 6KW and a huge knife switch on the basement wall, with and outside 3 phase input.

America is not what it once was.....

No generator for me. But yeah my power was out for a while too.

Last Friday I installed a 500G hard drive in my MacBook Pro, upgrading from 320G. I was heading away for a 4 day weekend in Las Vegas and figured that the restore could happen while I am away and I will travel with the iPad. It should all be fine as LONG AS THE POWER DOES NOT GO OUT!

Monday I look at the WX in Illinois and see this giant storm. I call home to hear if the answering machine will answer but get nothing. I know power is out. :(

As I read on about the storm and hear how bad it is I call a neighbor and they too are off the grid, they tell me lots of damage in the neighborhood so I ask if they can check on my place as I have several very large trees right next to the house. They call back and tell me the house looks fine, just some small branches on it. But several really big ones in the back yard, power lines are down and part of my fence has collapsed from the branches.

I am not due home until Tuesday afternoon and I see no reason to rush back to Chicago, if I could even get a flight after a storm like that had gone through.

I get home early Tuesday evening. I have seen downed branches from the ride home from O'Hare, but as I cross the Fox River I see real damage. Our town and Crystal Lake had some really hellacious winds. I know KORD clocked in a +75mph wind, but I think we had a bit more. Lots of big trees down, stop lights still out, some sign of power but not everywhere. Streets are blocked with debris too. We get home and do an inspection and the house is fine. Still no power. So we clean out the fridge and decide at that point there is no real reason to get a generator going.

The SO's work calls at 8pm and says they got power, could she come over to help with the restore, I go over as well. She is a city worker and they want to be open in the morning in case people need to get in to use the building as a cooling shelter and to provide the Internet services that people will want. I help try to get their computer system up, but one of the servers, the one to the outside world is just plain belligerent in not wanting to come up. Several of the ethernet switches are powering up, but I get them to work. The director is on the phone with their IT consultant as they are between IT people right now, the old one had quit and the new one had not yet started. Power goes off and then on, HVAC screws up again, alarms are still not working. Everyone decides to go home.

I have made arrangements to work from the scuba shop that I teach out of. That goes well. Library gets power and finally starts to get systems on line. Still no power at home as of Wednesday night. So we eat out and go to bed at dark, wake up at dawn.

Thursday still no sign of ComEd crews anywhere, but we see signs that they may be coming as tree removal crews are about and some more places have power. I head to the scuba shop and at noon I call ComEd to get an update on what is happening for our address. They have an automated system that tells me that power will be restored at 11:59pm Thursday. I guess that was the max time they could put in. I fear we will have another dark day.

At 3pm I call the house. The VoIP system that I have with AT&T is set up so that if there is a service disruption all calls go to a designated cell#. But this time it rings through and my answering machine answers!! YEAH we have power. I go home, close the fridge door, start up the A/C, check the Internet server and all is well. We ended up without power for 4 days. Glad it is working again. Still some cleanup to do and I need to borrow a chain saw to get it done.

In Wa. there is a 50,000 fine for connecting a generator to the grid. if you don't have a gentran panel you best not hook a generator to your house.

WE had one installed, and bought a generator, have not had an outage since.

now we simply move into the M/H.

In the 27 years I've lived in my home in San Diego, I have only experienced losing all my power abut three or four times. The longest I've ever been without power was just a few hours. I've lost power at my shop about the same number of times, only once have I had to just close up and go home. It hit around noon during a T storm. I gave up around three.

I think if I was a country dweller I would purchase one of those automatic generators than run on natural gas or propane. They are expensive, but the peace of mind would be worth it.

For now, all I keep is a box of candles for such emergencies.

John

Owning a generator is the best insurance against power outages. In 2004/2005 we had 5 hurricanes that knocked our power out each time for anywhere between 3 and 10 days. On the last hurricane I finally broke down and bought a generator. We used it once for about 3 days. We have not had another power outage to last more than 30 minutes since. So the generator worked.

You cannot beat Murphy's Law. It's recursive.

... Still some cleanup to do and I need to borrow a chain saw to get it done.

If you need, come see me, I have a 15" electric (AC) chain saw and I just bought one of the rechargeable Black & Decker pole saws which I'm going to putter around with myself, heat wave permitting. I have a few trees with low branches and I'll see if I can make cleaner cuts on any that broke.

...Now that you have a generator, see if you can find anyplace that sells non-ethanol gasoline. We have one place that sells this. It is a barbeque grill store that also does a big propane business. I use that in all of my small gas engines that don't run the gas out in a few weeks.

I'll have to do some research. I think that, ironically, you can buy non-ethanol gasoline in Wisconsin, but not in Illinois, maybe at airports. I was using 100LL in my tractor but the generator says to use 87 octane unleaded. The John Deere repair guy, who is a former Continental ATP, says you only have to watch the oil condition. I decided to just use unleaded but maybe, again, look for the no ethanol version.

They're saying that 25,000 homes are still off the grid but all will be fixed by midnight with a week long 100 degree heat wave due to start Sunday. Being that some 4000 people died in Chicago in the summer of '95(?) when there wasn't a power failure, we could see bodies stacked like cordwood again.

Last edited:
In Wa. there is a 50,000 fine for connecting a generator to the grid. if you don't have a gentran panel you best not hook a generator to your house.

WE had one installed, and bought a generator, have not had an outage since.

now we simply move into the M/H.

Yeah. Whenever I asked a store guy to find the power plug I got the look and I was ready to shoot back "If I want your warnings I'll beat it out of you."

I offered to help the neighbor put in a real power transfer box, which would be trivial in his place, but he's happy with the cord we made. I ordered a plug for him as a gift.

I will put in a real transfer setup at my place but it'll be quite a project since I have to run over 100 feet to the outdoor inlet. I haven't even gotten a round tuit to run low voltage yet.

We bought a 6kw generator after the great flood of '08 when our power was out for several days, so it was ready and waiting when we got hit with 125 mph winds on Monday. Powered up the deep-freeze, the refrigerator, the microwave, and the DSL modem & wireless router which brought life mostly back to normal until the power came back on 60 hours later.

Gen tran pannel

Attachments

• Gentran.jpg
    Gentran.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 17
Now that you have a generator, see if you can find anyplace that sells non-ethanol gasoline. We have one place that sells this. I use that in all of my small gas engines that don't run the gas out in a few weeks.

They may have to cross the line into Wisconsin...

Mike, Scott, if you do that, just look for the closest Kwik Trip. They sell 91-octane ethanol-free. I've been using it in my car lately and in the first tank alone my average MPG (since ~April) went up 1.2 mpg. Nice.

Hate to bump this up, as Mike and I were in the same boat for that outage and, frankly, I'd like to forget it, but....
Friend of a friend is a line guy for Com Ed, and wHen I mentioned that I was waffling on whether to get a generator big enough to power a reasonable % of the house, he laughed and said "if people knew the kind of shape our lines and stations are in, everyone would have a generator". Don't know how true that is, but I'll be shopping for a good deal...

Back