How I almost/did fail the checkride because..

saracelica

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
saracelica
Okay I may be a little paranoid but I'm hoping the IR ticket doesn't take over 100 hours like the PPL did so I'm being very structured with my studies. Was hoping to pick the brains of you fine people.

You can answer the question several ways, how you almost failed the checkride (were you not cleared for the approach), how you did fail it, or what good advice did your CFI give you that I probably heard a couple times over the last 12 hours of training that made it all click for you. During my PPL I forgot the fuel pump on take off and busted that section of the checkride and passed the rest. I will NEVER forget the fuel pump switch again.

I almost failed several times, or at least it felt like it. One thing I did on the flight (the oral was pretty bad too, I think.) was I accidentally left the 430 in GPS mode instead of VLOC. I hadn't done that since like day 2 of my training. My IFR ride just wasn't great. Lots of little things didn't go well, including my airplane getting dinged. I can PM you a more detailed version of mine..

Okay I may be a little paranoid but I'm hoping the IR ticket doesn't take over 100 hours like the PPL did so I'm being very structured with my studies. Was hoping to pick the brains of you fine people.

You can answer the question several ways, how you almost failed the checkride (were you not cleared for the approach), how you did fail it, or what good advice did your CFI give you that I probably heard a couple times over the last 12 hours of training that made it all click for you. During my PPL I forgot the fuel pump on take off and busted that section of the checkride and passed the rest. I will NEVER forget the fuel pump switch again.

Sara.... Life is a learning experience... Try not to fail , but if you do, get back on the horse asap and try again... Just like you did with the PPL.. I have faith in ya...:yes:

Thanks Ben! I just don't want it to take forever and learn from others mistakes!

My instrument checkride while high stress for me, the out come was never in question.
My PIC instructor did a good job.

I thought I failed my private but didn't fail that one either.

As in your PPL, the rules for passing are pretty simple.
1. Do not panic.
2. Fly as you were trained there. Make believe the DPE is your friend and fly as you normally would.
3. If you make a mistake it does not mean you failed, unless the DPE has to take over. Just correct the mistake and keep on flying.
4. Remember you are the PIC, and make your decisions based on this.
5. Your CFII taught you correctly, and has confidence that you will pass, or you would not be on the checkride. Have that same confidence.
6. Do not overthink things
7. On the oral portion, if you do not know something, do not BS the DPE, they probably have heard everything. Just tell him/her you do not know, and explain how you would find out. Make sure however you do know the facts you need to know.
8. If ATC gives you a request you cannot do, unable is an acceptable reply. Likewise, if you do not understand what they request, ask them to repeat it until you do. Remember to repeat back their requests.
9. Checklists are your friend, use them.
10. Keep a clean cockpit. A clean cockpit is a safe cockpit. Have your charts in order and available. Remember sterile cockpit rules and do not be afraid to tell the DPE to be quiet(remember #2). Be ahead of the airplane and think ahead. Use everything your plane has to give you.
11. Think of it as a learning experience, and have fun. You will probably do great.
12. Remember #1. Do not panic.

Good luck.

Doug

We took off for a straight out departure for the first few legs of the simulated X-country portion before joining our Victor Airway and on lift-off the FAA examiner popped the usual door but, also "accidently" jerked the chart enough that it flew outside into the slipstream! I figured, "I'm not going to fall for him tricking me into starting out on a cross-country with no chart." He then pretended to get sick with the dry heaves as I turned a precautionary crosswind and then we actually hit an air pocket and he did puke up quite a bit with the bumps, asking repeatedly for a sickbag which I gave him while turning onto the downwind. He kept saying, "Just fly normally and treat me like a passenger. Sorry about the puke stink, I'll light a match..." but the whole matchbook caught on fire with considerable sulphorous smoke.

I opened my window to vent the smoke and stink out but the breeze blew the sticky sickbag down onto the cockpit floor and blew the flaming matchbook into his crotchal area as I turned onto base. Like many others in the heat of summer, he'd worn khaki shorts for coolness but the exposed skin was in quite a bit of pain from second degree burning at that point and I had to hit his crotch with a blast from a little canister of Halon from my flightbag, I don't know, maybe that wasn't necessary because of all the wet puke, but best to be sure, for safety. He was now making quite a bit of noises altogether like coughing, gaging, spitting up vomit and yelling (but no cussing cause he was FAA) -all mixed up.

I knew to expect distractions and by now I'm thinking, "Man, this guy's GOOD!" I can also tell you that I NEVER smelt anything like it at that point. Then as I turned onto final he sort of spasmed up all rigid like and quit making noise, except his legs were spasmed straight out onto the rudder pedals and he was grasping at his throat and chest. He was a pretty big ol' boy too, so I had to reach over and sort of bang upwards on the back of both his knees with my right fist to unlock his legs from blocking my rudder pedals.

He had a lot of years on his airframe too, so to speak, and I figured it was no check ride drill anymore and a real honest to goodness cardiac arrest at that point and was reaching for the mike to radio for an ambulance on short final when he said, "OK, go around and we'll finish the checkride." Altogether a pretty standard checkride and then later on after the flight he gave me my temporary IFR rating.

Hope this helps, and good luck, we're all counting on you....

Last edited:
We took off for a straight out departure for the first few legs of the simulated X-country portion and on lift-off the FAA examiner popped the usual door but, also "accidently" jerked the chart enough that it flew outside into the slipstream! I figured, "I'm not going to fall for him tricking me into starting out on a cross-country with no chart." He then pretended to get sick with the dry heaves as I turned a precautionary crosswind and then we actually hit an air pocket and he did puke up quite a bit with the bumps, asking repeatedly for a sickbag which I gave him while turning onto the downwind. He kept saying, "Just fly normally and treat me like a passenger. Sorry about the puke stink, I'll light a match..." but the whole matchbook caught on fire with considerable sulphorous smoke.

I opened my window to vent the smoke and stink out but the breeze blew the sticky sickbag down onto the cockpit floor and blew the flaming matchbook into his crotchal area as I turned onto base. Like many others in the heat of summer, he'd worn khaki shorts for coolness but the exposed skin was in quite a bit of pain from second degree burning at that point and I had to hit his crotch with a blast from a little canister of Halon from my flightbag, I don't know, maybe that wasn't necessary because of all the wet puke, but best to be sure, for safety. He was now making quite a bit of noises altogether like coughing, gaging, spitting up vomit and yelling (but no cussing cause he was FAA) -all mixed up.

I knew to expect distractions and by now I'm thinking, "Man, this guy's GOOD!" I can also tell you that I NEVER smelt anything like it at that point. Then as I turned onto final he sort of spasmed up all rigid like and quit making noise, except his legs were spasmed straight out onto the rudder pedals and he was grasping at his throat and chest. He was a pretty big ol' boy too, so I had to reach over and sort of bang upwards on the back of both his knees with my right fist to unlock his legs from blocking my rudder pedals.

He had a lot of years on his airframe too, so to speak, and I figured it was no check ride drill anymore and a real honest to goodness cardiac arrest at that point and was reaching for the mike to radio for an ambulance on short final when he said, "OK, go around and we'll finish the checkride." Altogether a pretty standard checkride and then later on after the flight he gave me my temporary PPL.

Ain't NOBODY gonna beat that story..:no::nonod::no::nonod::hairraise:

We took off for a straight out departure for the first few legs of the simulated X-country portion before joining our Victor Airway and on lift-off the FAA examiner popped the usual door but, also "accidently" jerked the chart enough that it flew outside into the slipstream! I figured, "I'm not going to fall for him tricking me into starting out on a cross-country with no chart." He then pretended to get sick with the dry heaves as I turned a precautionary crosswind and then we actually hit an air pocket and he did puke up quite a bit with the bumps, asking repeatedly for a sickbag which I gave him while turning onto the downwind. He kept saying, "Just fly normally and treat me like a passenger. Sorry about the puke stink, I'll light a match..." but the whole matchbook caught on fire with considerable sulphorous smoke.

He had a lot of years on his airframe too, so to speak, and I figured it was no check ride drill anymore and a real honest to goodness cardiac arrest at that point and was reaching for the mike to radio for an ambulance on short final when he said, "OK, go around and we'll finish the checkride." Altogether a pretty standard checkride and then later on after the flight he gave me my temporary IFR rating.

:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:

All my guy did was "OK, lost your radios. Watcha gonna do now?"

My PPL checkride was flawless and as we taxied in the DPE congratulated me. I parked while a C-182 skydive plane was landing. The pilot walked up and said he did not hear me on the CTAF but he did see me turn base to final so he slowed his 5-mile straight in. There was no conflict. Both the DPE and I saw him way out there as I turned final and announced doing so on the radio.

But the 182 pilot's comments got me to check the radio in the 152 and I discovered I had tuned in some wrong frequency.

DPE still passed me.

Okay, I'll bite.

1. The home field ILS was NOTAM'd out of service and I didn't know about it until I was in the plane with the DPE and getting the ATIS. He was somewhat annoyed that I didn't know about this before hand. No deal killer though. We went to a nearby airport to do ILS approaches.

2. Winds were 20 knots gusting to 30. I had a very DIFFICULT TIME generating anything that resembled a hold. I applied the wrong correction factor the first go around and corrected myself on the second pass. Squeaked through that one.

3. Keep the ball centered. Keep the ball centered, keep the ball centered.

That aside, shooting the approaches in those winds, and greasing the landing on a circle to land with a 17 knot crosswind component impressed the examiner, as well as adapting in the air to an on the spot deviation to another field to do ILS approaches, plus not falling apart after a 3 hour check ride helped too so I passed.

On my check ride the weather was very close to imc. I was holding and the wind was so bad that it took almost a 45* crab to come close to maintaining the radial toward the hold fix. Then he cleared me to a lower altitude. I mistakenly took my good ole sweet time loosing altitude. He calmly said the aircraft above you has also been cleared to your altitude you better get this thing down or we will be heading home. I passed but he did put the fear in me. After it was all over and he signed me off he said don't sweat it that will probably be your last hold.

By the time I was ready to depart for my home field it was imc and I had to file to make the flight from MGY to MWO. Check it out, that is about 5 air miles. Anyway the guy landing in front of me forgot to cancel and I ended up holding for 25 minutes while they tried to locate him. So much for never holding.

We used to call the CDI button on the 530/430 the "Pass/Fail" button. It's a common mistake.

My DPE mentioned that and as we were flying the ILS approach on my ride he thought I was going to forget it and was yelling at me about it. Actually he yelled during the whole ride. Seems to be his method of trying to shake you and get you to throw your hands up and quit.

My DPE mentioned that and as we were flying the ILS approach on my ride he thought I was going to forget it and was yelling at me about it. Actually he yelled during the whole ride. Seems to be his method of trying to shake you and get you to throw your hands up and quit.

Sorry to hear that. I refuse to fly with people like that. Yelling has no place up front.

I had a problem with overcorrecting when I was nervous, which was of course the case on a checkride. Consequently, I just barely squeaked by my instrument ride. Oh well, I figured that at least I wouldn't be able fool myself into thinking that I was superpilot.

The next day, I flew an ILS in actual with the ceiling below minimums, and I was fine, because there was no instructor or examiner in the cockpit to make me nervous!

I'm with Jason on this one - there's no place for yelling.

Tell him to stop or he can yell at the taxi driver during his ride home from the closest airfield.

I'm with Jason on this one - there's no place for yelling.

Tell him to stop or he can yell at the taxi driver during his ride home from the closest airfield.

I didn't really pay much attention other than to say "yes sir" or "no sir"

When we got back on the ground and I was dropping him off at his plane so he could grab some things he said, "BTW that was a pass, a good pass, you're a good pilot"

I have a "happy cockpit" rule. I booted my CFi out a couple times when he was grumpy at me for no reason. He didn't like it, but I sure did!

I'm kind of relieved to see I'm not the only person who didn't blow the instrument ride out of the water. Maybe the instrument ride, with its more challenging material, is designed to be the hardest flight ever. Anyone know the pass/fail on it ?

Iv'e head CFI has the highest first time fail ratio.

On my IR checkride, I was reaching for something, can't remember what, while going missed fro man approach and turned of the master switch by accident. This was in a Piper Archer.

no radios, n oGarmin 430, and we were on an IFR flight plan to. lol Oops!

Also, the DE had me land at an airport. I brought he plane in so shallow and then landed hard by accident. Dragged the planed in with power. Stupid. Probably still shook up from earlier. Gotta fly the plane first!

Still passed though!

David

As for failing. Remember to fly the plane even when you are taxiing. About a year ago, a student on his PPL checkride failed the exam when he hit the fuel truck on the way back to the ramp after the flight. What makes this even worse is I have used the same DPE for both my PPL and IFR and he makes it a point to tell you if you passed that you passed as long as you do not hit anything on the way back to the ramp. He has been saying this for years evidently.

Iv'e head CFI has the highest first time fail ratio.

I'm told in my area it's 1 in 5 that pass it the first time around.. 80% fail rate :yikes: Not looking forward to that ride.. oh and it's 2 days.

I'm told in my area it's 1 in 5 that pass it the first time around.. 80% fail rate :yikes: Not looking forward to that ride.. oh and it's 2 days.

Yikes, I hate to admit, but I was in that 80% on first go.

As far as ALL check rides go, I recommend using a DE you know and like. Or, use one you can find a lot of info on. To me, this is just working smart.

The instrument is a bit different. The rules are very clear and the details matter a lot. One small inattention to one detail will kill you in the soup.

As to passing the checkride - it's pretty easy- know everything in the PTS and don't bust any limits. Go the right direction at the right time and be at the right altitudes at the right time.

Most importantly, if you get an instructor that's dumping you into approaches on the first few lessons, find another one.

I would have immediately returned to the airport after the first event (the door). And if the DPE had questioned you, just state you consider it a safety issue both for the pax and you. I don't let CFIs, Young Eagles, or any pax do anything I consider a safety issue, even if they are play-acting. Never know what's real and what isn't.

Most importantly, if you get an instructor that's dumping you into approaches on the first few lessons, find another one.
Why? :stirpot:

It's what the DPE suggested to work on the most with the students. It's not like it was hands off from the CFI he did 95% of the approach. Just like teaching a student how to land first and foremost on the lessons. Some CFI's do that and get that mastered before moving on to stalls and whatnot others get the student comfortable with landing the plane first.

Why? :stirpot:

It's what the DPE suggested to work on the most with the students. It's not like it was hands off from the CFI he did 95% of the approach. Just like teaching a student how to land first and foremost on the lessons. Some CFI's do that and get that mastered before moving on to stalls and whatnot others get the student comfortable with landing the plane first.

Every instrument student I've picked up that had an instructor that was teaching them approaches from day one is an absolute mess and has no idea how to fly the airplane on instruments. It takes countless hours for me to undo that mess.

I don't think any instructor that is putting out a lot of great instrument students would start students on approaches.

There is a lot you need to learn about flying an airplane on instruments before you even consider introducing an approach. If you don't get that training you'll be a mess on the approaches.

I'd say on average it takes about 10 hours of instrument training before I even show someone an approach. Before that they're learning how to fly an airplane in a way they never have before. Instrument flying has to be mastered before an approach. I then go into holds before approaches.

Every instrument student I've picked up that had an instructor that was teaching them approaches from day one is an absolute mess and has no idea how to fly the airplane on instruments. It takes countless hours for me to undo that mess.

I don't think any instructor that is putting out a lot of great instrument students would start students on approaches.

There is a lot you need to learn about flying an airplane on instruments before you even consider introducing an approach. If you don't get that training you'll be a mess on the approaches.
Good houses are built on good foundation, with a bad foundation even the best house will fail.

I'd say on average it takes about 10 hours of instrument training before I even show someone an approach. Before that they're learning how to fly an airplane in a way they never have before. Instrument flying has to be mastered before an approach. I then go into holds before approaches.

I agree with Jesse on this. My instructor spent time with me through the first few lessons going over basics and from my point of view it was very helpful.

For me the PP checkride was the toughest, IR checkride was not bad at all as I already knew how to fly. Had to redo the multiengine Instrument checkride. It was only .4 hobbs and one lap in the pattern the next day for an extra 250 dollars in DPE fees. I am never making that mistake again.

Basics such as?
Everything that has to do with flying an airplane on instruments:

I cover all of the following before introducing any sort of approach-

Attitude flying (power + attitude = performance)
This is really one of the most important pieces. Something many instrument pilots lack. If you know the power and attitude you need then you can just set it and forget it. The result will come on it's own. Too many people have no clue and just chase for a result non-stop.

Constant airspeed climb and descents
Constant rate climb and descents
Full panel instrument flying
Partial panel instrument flying
Equipment failures
Timed turns
Slow flight
Steep turns
Unusual attitude recovery full and partial panel
Intercepting and tracking radials
Holds including all entires

There's probably more I cover. This is just all out of my head. I look very closely at the instrument flying handbook, my syllabus, the FARs, and the students logbook before deciding to move onto approaches to make sure I haven't missed something. All of the above must also be flown within tolerances.

Jesse was my Instrument instructor and I think I had 40ish hood hours with him when I passed the ride. Knowing how to fly an airplane under the hood is important before approaches start.

I agree. It's absolutely vital to know how to fly on instruments before you jump into approaches. I found approaches very easy, but I think I had a good foundation for them. I spent the first 5 or 6 hours just flying around and doing airwork type stuff. Climbs/descents/turns and stalls/steep turns/unusual attitudes. Then I spent anoter 4 or 5 hours tracking VORs. Then I did another 5, maybe closer to 10 doing holds and entries, along with A LOT of timed turns. Then 20 hours doing approaches, cross country stuff and check ride prep. I couldn't imagine getting dumped into approaches, especially considering I barely had my PPL wet when I did my instrument.

Basics such as?

What Jesse has noted in post #34.

I didn't see compass turns mentioned but am sure Jesse does those also. You need to understand the performance of your plane so it becomes second nature. What does it take to fly at 90 kts? How about a 500fpm descent at 90 kts? Stuff like that.

I went back and checked. I started with approaches in my first lesson, but that was only to land. Otherwise, the vast majority of the lesso was the basics straight and level flight, coordinated standard turns, and the rest. I was not until later on that we really did approaches. When I first started my IF training, which was a few months after getting my PPL flying an approach was not really flying an approach. In other words there is a lot more in flying an approach then following the needle, which is what I would suggest that a lot of these pilots are doing when starting approaches with the first lesson.

From the FIRST IFR lesson I took, we made it a point to do an approach or two. It was valuable for me to see the whole system in action.

We used to call the CDI button on the 530/430 the "Pass/Fail" button. It's a common mistake.

The 480 ******* at you if you've selected an ILS or VOR approach and you've not tuned the NAV side (it even puts the right frequency in the standby) and further gripes at you if you don't switch the CDI over.

Back