How high's the water momma?

kevin47881

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Time to fly!
With compliments to Johnny Cash...looks like we'll be blessed with a little more rain. :eek:

The amount of rain received and being received in middle-TN is of epic proportion. Interstates are closed, basements flooded (including mine), surface streets closed, buildings being washed away, etc. I've seen dopler estimates of 12" the last 24 hours. :yikes: On top of the rain are severe storms with 70 mph winds.

For those facing similar conditions, keep your head above water and good luck!

With compliments to Johnny Cash...looks like we'll be blessed with a little more rain. :eek:

The amount of rain received and being received in middle-TN is of epic proportion. Interstates are closed, basements flooded (including mine), surface streets closed, buildings being washed away, etc. I've seen dopler estimates of 12" the last 24 hours. :yikes: On top of the rain are severe storms with 70 mph winds.
Wow, Kevin, whattamess! Sorry about your basement. :( Do you have a sump pump?

Wow, Kevin, whattamess! Sorry about your basement. :( Do you have a sump pump?

Thanks, Diana. No sump pump but think there's still a trash pump out in the barn. If I can get out there I need to check. Power has been spotty so far today so not sure how much help that would be. :frown3:

April showers bring Mayflowers....

mayflower-ii.jpg

April showers bring Mayflowers....

mayflower-ii.jpg

Drove about 0.5 miles below the house to check out the area. Not good. The road I live on is buckled up from water rushing under it. The other road is closed due to mud slides. They just had a water rescue of a guy stuck in a tree after abandoning his truck down the road from here. The rain just isn't pushing east but rather training over the same areas. We've had over 3" of rain in the last 4 hours. Argh.

Here's a pic of the dam below the house holding back the 2 creeks that run through the back side of my property.

Attachments

• May flooding.jpg
    May flooding.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 58
Drove about 0.5 miles below the house to check out the area. Not good. The road I live on is buckled up from water rushing under it. The other road is closed due to mud slides. They just had a water rescue of a guy stuck in a tree after abandoning his truck down the road from here. The rain just isn't pushing east but rather training over the same areas. We've had over 3" of rain in the last 4 hours. Argh.

Here's a pic of the dam below the house holding back the 2 creeks that run through the back side of my property.
WOW! Stay dry because it looks like more is on the way for later today!

wow, that's insane. good luck.

A friend of mine had planned to go to Nashville this weekend, wonder if she made it there.

Damage reports continue to come in and the county has declared a state of emergency.

The Cumberland River, which flows through Nashville, has a flood stage of 40 feet. Current level is 43.5' expected to rise another 5' or so which will flood a good portion of the tourist district (2nd Ave).

Can the county take over cell towers for emergency services? I ask as we currently have zero cell service and I just drove about 8 miles away to check another tower and the same thing there.

In the last 30 minutes the Cumberland has risen from 43.5' to 45' and continues to rise rapidly. This is gonna get worse before it gets better. :frown3:

In the last 30 minutes the Cumberland has risen from 43.5' to 45' and continues to rise rapidly. This is gonna get worse before it gets better. :frown3:
Kevin, are you now stranded? Do you have enough food, etc if you are stranded? Will the water come all the way up to your house? Do you have a generator? How do you get on the internet? Will you keep us posted often and let us know that you are okay?

Kevin, are you now stranded? Do you have enough food, etc if you are stranded? Will the water come all the way up to your house? Do you have a generator? How do you get on the internet? Will you keep us posted often and let us know that you are okay?

Not stranded but a lot of the roads and interstates are closed and/or impassable. I checked local roads about an hour ago and was able to make it into town on the highway.

Fortunately the house sits up on the ridge so the odds of river flood waters making it this high is nil. I'm about 500' above Nashville and the river so if it floods here it won't be good. ;)

So far power has only been lost for about 5 minutes. The county does a very good job keeping trees trimmed out of the overhead power lines (mostly for snow). Due to all the water and wind, there are numerous trees down but, at least here, none over power lines. No generator at this time so hopefully things will stay good.

Internet is provided by Comcast and so far there have been no power disruptions which is pretty amazing.

Appreciate you checking and will be sure to keep updating. :smile:

The Cumberland is now in excess of 46' and they're talking about having to open the flood gates up river.

The flooding in middle-TN is absolutely incredible. The Harpeth River is at record flood stage and the Cumberland River is now approaching 49'. Opry Mills (aka Opryland) is flooded. River front downtown Nashville is also flooded. There is footage of fish swimming up river, unfortunately the river was a main north/south highway (Gallatin Pike). :yikes::eek:

Damage here to the house is no worse than it was several hours ago. Have 3 dehumidifiers running and the wet vac has been emptied more times than I can count. Time for a couple more Doan's pills and more wet vac'ing.

Damage here to the house is no worse than it was several hours ago. Have 3 dehumidifiers running and the wet vac has been emptied more times than I can count. Time for a couple more Doan's pills and more wet vac'ing.

How is the water entering the basement? If it's coming up through the slab or through the walls, since you have no sump pump, you might as well wait until the water level in the soil drops and save your back...

The flooding in middle-TN is absolutely incredible. The Harpeth River is at record flood stage and the Cumberland River is now approaching 49'. Opry Mills (aka Opryland) is flooded. River front downtown Nashville is also flooded. There is footage of fish swimming up river, unfortunately the river was a main north/south highway (Gallatin Pike). :yikes::eek:

Dang! :eek: Well, I hope your shoulders are holding up.

How is the water entering the basement? If it's coming up through the slab or through the walls, since you have no sump pump, you might as well wait until the water level in the soil drops and save your back...

While I know you're right, I just can't stand the thought of standing water down there. It really is futile at this point, however.

Take care. And DON'T try driving over any flooded roads, even after the water subsides! The water can wash out the road bedding and the road can collapse on you. And if there's rushing water, it only takes 6" to carry away a car!

My Public Service Announcement for the day.

Well, morning brings much anticipated sunshine. :smile:

Flooding continues to be a major problem and in a lot of areas it is getting worse as rivers continue to rise. The Cumberland River is currently a bit over 50' and is expected to crest at 51.5' later today. Flood stage is 40'. For those familiar with downtown Nashville, 1st Ave is under a couple feet of water. River front park is now a fish hatchery and Opry Mills continues to be evacuated due to flooding. Today is going to be a very busy day for all of us in the area.

Fortunately for me there is no additional water infiltration like there was yesterday. Just waiting for the water table to drop so the infiltration comes to a halt. All in all we were very blessed.

Thanks to all for the thoughts and prayers. Time to continue with the wet vac'ing.

Take care. And DON'T try driving over any flooded roads, even after the water subsides! The water can wash out the road bedding and the road can collapse on you. And if there's rushing water, it only takes 6" to carry away a car!

My Public Service Announcement for the day.

Thanks, Grant. You are spot on, the road I live on is washed out about 0.5 below the house. Interstate 40 is still closed for about 60 miles due to flooding and there is no telling how much of it has been washed out.

You guys got it much worse in the Nashville area than we did in the Memphis area. Many streets are flooded here, North Memphis (Millington) got it much worse than we did in Cordova (East Memphis). We only got about 8 inches of rain at the house, but the Millington got more than 15 inches.

Our biggest concerns were the Tornado/Severe CB sirens going off all night. They started at 4:30 Saturday morning, then eased off in the afternoon, then started back up at around 2100 and went all night long Saturday night/Sunday morning.

Good luck in your bail out. Pun intended.

You guys got it much worse in the Nashville area than we did in the Memphis area. Many streets are flooded here, North Memphis (Millington) got it much worse than we did in Cordova (East Memphis). We only got about 8 inches of rain at the house, but the Millington got more than 15 inches.

Our biggest concerns were the Tornado/Severe CB sirens going off all night. They started at 4:30 Saturday morning, then eased off in the afternoon, then started back up at around 2100 and went all night long Saturday night/Sunday morning.

Good luck in your bail out. Pun intended.

Glad y'all are alright in West TN.

Pictures of the Cumberland about 10 miles down river from downtown Nashville.

Water rescues continue to take place this morning for folks who have been trapped overnight.

Attachments

• May flooding 002.jpg
    May flooding 002.jpg
    355.7 KB · Views: 18
  • May flooding 003.jpg
    May flooding 003.jpg
    417.4 KB · Views: 14
  • May flooding 006.jpg
    May flooding 006.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Back