How hard do you need to land a Piper Arrow too...

WTF was that guy thinking the 15th time he couldnt keep the plane on the ground as it bounced. :rofl:

That is painful to watch. No less than EIGHT bounces before the nose gear collapses. How one can become SO fixated on landing NOW is beyond me. Go around!

That is painful to watch. No less than EIGHT bounces before the nose gear collapses. How one can become SO fixated on landing NOW is beyond me. Go around!

Watched a guy in a columbia 400 try and put it down in the last 400 ft of runway and run right over a levee into mud trying that hard too. Just dont understand that fixation either.:confused:

This is the hard landing that I want to know more about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=Qa12veWQEgU&NR=1

Actually more of a semi controlled crash

Holy Cr4p batman! I have a new found respect for the Oleo Strut!

I feel like filling out an ASRS just for having watched it.

Here is what google Translate thinks happened... which adds some comedic relief.

"Reported aircraft engine failure, made ​​up by a passing lane (06 tailwind to 24) to the base leg end is below the threshold 24, left view of the aircraft for about 5 to 7 seconds when it emerged at the head came with a very high angle of attack, then began to lose altitude significantly eventually landing beside the runway as you can see in the video. The day before this aircraft was doing a baptism flight when reported lack of fuel and had to land immediately, the pilot explained the situation to passengers and that the next day would a new baptism to them and this was precisely their flight. At the end of the festival this aircraft was the last to leave and have no control aerial to warn was very, very close to be a Dog Strike it had 4 dogs walking on the runway during take-off, and due to the take off of 06 does not have visibility to half of the track due to the slope."

Last edited:
At the end of the festival this aircraft was the last to leave and have no control aerial to warn was very, very close to be a Dog Strike it had 4 dogs walking on the runway during take-off..."

You really gotta be careful about dog strikes...aviation's silent killer.:yes:

My problem with that is on some training a/c such as the 152 in the need for a go around with full flaps its very easy to get behind the power curve or have a nearly nil rate of climb.

My CFI forced this scenario on purpose multiple times (we're high DA). He'd call for a go-around just after the mains were rolling. Most summer flights we were lucky seeing 100 ft on the VSI.

I'm talking about as you touch down and start to roll out. You also have the option of carrying a little more speed on final that will be gone the moment you dump the power because of the drag.

The flaps still do things after your wheels touch down and your wings are still generating lift. The quicker you lose some speed the better.

Several posts on full flaps vs minimal. On an old 172 able to do 40* it takes FOREVER to retract all that on the runway if trying to transfer weight to the wheels. The one I trained in didn't have the detents for each 10* of flaps so you were always careful with any flap changes.

Some of the older Piper types around my old airfield used to speak of the fact that Right X-winds were better than left, due to the fact that you tend to keep a little power in the landing sequence (p-factor) etc giving you some extra false left rudder. Combined with dumping the flaps immediately upon touchdown to spoil some extra lift and stay down. I've never practiced it b/c I fear i'd fly an old mooney some day and mistake the 'johnson bar' gear for the 'johnson bar' flap. lol

So I finally got some pics of the damage...not amazingly horrible but I cant say Ive done this to a plane...yet :D

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 57
  • photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 54
So I finally got some pics of the damage...not amazingly horrible but I cant say Ive done this to a plane...yet :D

I had the repair you need done to the left wing of my Arrow right after purchase. Damage not as extensive but same basic repair. Two ribs, one stringer, skins top and bottom. $7500 at a repair station. Now I need it to my other wing but I am going to do it myself.

Back