How good a pilot are you?

I don't have to take a test... my son has informed me that I am the world's best pilot. Even better than Balloo from Talespin. He's such a smart young man :)

Dang. That's almost as hard as flying the real thing. I always describe to non pilot friends that learning to hover a copter is like trying to ride a bubble. Of course, I also let them know I only had one lesson.

Jim G

grattonja said:
Dang. That's almost as hard as flying the real thing. I always describe to non pilot friends that learning to hover a copter is like trying to ride a bubble. Of course, I also let them know I only had one lesson.

Jim G
I like that "trying to ride a bubble". Learning to hover was one of the more frustrating events in my life!

I met a guy once who soloed in a helicopter at 8 hours... He later went on to teach Harrison Ford how to fly helicopters in a R22 like ours.

Bob. I don't get it? Where are the cats? You gotta fly the helicopter through the tunnel of cats, right? The more cats you get with the rotor blades......

:dunno:

Anthony said:
Bob. I don't get it? Where are the cats? You gotta fly the helicopter through the tunnel of cats, right? The more cats you get with the rotor blades......

:dunno:
What an inciteful question, Anthony, one which clearly merits deep discussion over a brew or two at Ludwig's...

Stay low. Reminds me of a story. Knowing the guys who told it, I'll bet it's true.

The Arizona NG uses a major repair station at KFAT (Fresno, CA) for mx on their helos. A certain 3 man crew, who has been together since VN, gets the majority of flights to the station. They sit around a couple three days (doing what, you may ask) and then ferry the chopper back to base.

A long honored tradition, they carry a large ice chest as part of their payload. Ballast, you might say. Anyway, they fly direct at a ground hugging alt. They have to, you see, because they need to see the string of empties to find their way back to base. Long hours waiting on the mx does that...

Sadly, this latest action in Iraq has broken this crew for the 1st time in 20 years. "Horse", if you're out there, man there are some folks who miss you. Call Donna.

Last edited:
It needs cats. Lots of them.

Back