How forgiving is a DPE?

Yikes, I have been concerned up a turbulent day and up/down drafts busting my altitude.
I'm neither a CFI nor an examiner, but my guess is that the most important thing in conditions like that is making sure that your control inputs are not so vigorous that they bend the airplane!

If I make a mistake on my checkride, is it over? Do they allow a certain amount of mistakes? How often can I use my FAR AIM?

Any guidance, suggestions, or constructive criticism would be appreciated.

It is difficult to not overthink my upcoming checkride as I have never experienced this before.

Thank you.

Best advice I got pre check ride nearly 8 years ago, came from my instructor who said “ The DPE knows way more than you about airplanes so don’t try and impress him. Just show what you know and know that you know enough for me to send you to him.” If you really think about that it makes total sense. If your instructor thinks you are safe and knowledgeable than really all you have to do On the check ride is do what you’ve been doing with him. You won’t “impress” the DPE because they already know way more than you.

Just show the DPE you are safe, answer the question they ask( don’t go on lectures) and show you are not a threat to yourself, future passengers or us aviators and you should be great!

The DPE is not out to get you. 99% of the time, they want you to pass too. But given that, if you can't demonstrate what you know...and you do know it...they don't have much leeway. The standards they have to adhere to are set and they have to stick to them.

Relax, go fly. You are ready.

Just show the DPE you are safe, answer the question they ask( don’t go on lectures) and show you are not a threat to yourself, future passengers or us aviators and you should be great!
That is excellent advice! The DPE doesn't expect complete perfection, but they do expect you to be safe. When I took my checkride for my private, I was extremely nervous. Very early on, while doing what I remember was a pattern maneuver around a 1 mile section. I had made 3 good turns, and right after I made the third turn, I started the fourth. I was about halfway through and realized that I hadn't flown the last mile before making the last turn. I was convinced I had just failed. I exclaimed, "Oh, I just changed my pattern." He obviously knew I was nervous and actually even told me that I was too nervous. Not knowing any better, I just assumed that I had failed. We continued on, and since I thought I had already failed, I became much more relaxed. The rest of the day went very well, and I was really annoyed that I had "failed" that one stupid maneuver. When we finished and had taxied back to the FBO, he said, "Okay, I will run in and type up your certificate." I was shocked. Later on in explaining the checkride to my instructor, he mentioned that very thing to me. The DPE wanted to know if I had the skills to safely operate the plane and if I could be safe as pilot in command, including my decision making. Your CFI knows your flying. He wouldn't send you off for the examination if he didn't think you were ready. That in itself should give you a lot of confidence.

I had the same DPE for both the private and instrument rides. I'm pretty sure at least one maneuver during my private ride (maybe steep turns, can't remember) was not up to my standards, and one of my ILS approaches was probably safe, but sloppier than typical in my training. In both cases, I recognized that these maneuvers were not the best, and explained why I was dissatisfied to my DPE. I think you you fly a bit sloppy and don't recognize it, it is not a good sign of good future decision making. Fortunately, I was up to standard for everything else on my private checkride, and I positively nailed a partial panel non-precision approach (I always like flying partial panel anyway), so the DPE was happy with my overall performance in both cases. I don't think it is reasonable to expect pilots to be perfect, but it is reasonable to expect them to be safe and to recognize when things are a little off.

My wife had the same DPE, and for her private, she was asked to plan a route to Groton, CT from Central NY. When she presented a rather non-direct route, the DPE critically asked her why she planned a route so far out of the way. When she replied she was not enthusiastic about flying over the Catskills where there are few emergency landing options unless absolutely necessary, he was suitably satisfied with her reasoning and she went on to have a nice checkride.

Bottom line: Fly like you trained, and go with the flow. You should be well-prepared to meet standards. If you do something not up to your standards, explain and own up. You will probably do just fine.

On the oral, the DPE is primarily looking to see if you are knowledgeable, thoughtful and safe - not perfect. If they can see you know what you're talking about, even if you miss something, they aren't going to fail you.

On the checkride, it is about flying the plane so they don't have to take the controls. They'll give you a lot of leeway. Wing over in a power on stall and take corrective action, they'll still pass you.

Back