How far were the Air France black boxes found from the crash site?

Martymccasland

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
M.McCasland
I've seem to recall quite a distance, but after a lot of Googling, can't find the answer.

Anyone remember / have a link?

(Edit: Air France 447, more specifically -- equatorial thunderstorms, pitot tubes iced up, differing control stick inputs, captain over-rode 1st officer, captain pulled back in a stall all the way to splash-down.)

Last edited:
Didn't the boxes drift a considerable distance before they were found? I seem to recall a substantial distance -- like many miles -- but can't find anything.

Edit: Just saw your 150km note... Thanks. That's gotta be a tremendous current!

That was wrong, sorry. Looks like approx. 1/2 mile. It was the depth of the water that was notable in this article. Here is the quote:

The debris field was described as "quite compact", measuring some 200 by 600 metres (660 by 1,970 ft) and located a short distance to the north of where pieces of wreckage had been recovered previously, suggesting that the aircraft hit the water largely intact.[121] The French Ecology and Transportation Minister Nathalie Kosciusko-Morizet stated the bodies and wreckage would be brought to the surface and taken to France for examination and identification.[122] The French government chartered the Île de Sein to recover the flight recorders from the wreckage.[123][124] An American Remora 6000 remotely operated vehicle (ROV) and operations crew from Phoenix International experienced in the recovery of aircraft for the United States Navy were on board the Île de Sein.

Last edited:
I've seem to recall quite a distance, but after a lot of Googling, can't find the answer.

Anyone remember / have a link?

(Edit: Air France 447, more specifically -- equatorial thunderstorms, pitot tubes iced up, differing control stick inputs, captain over-rode 1st officer, captain pulled back in a stall all the way to splash-down.)

Your recollection there is way off lol, captain never took control, captain wasn't even in the cockpit until they had fallen a ways, the right seat FO held it in a falling leaf stall until about 12,000, figured out this was really happening, let a wing drop, that's when the left seat FO saved it and the right seater said, 'yeah, you take it.

IIRC the boxes were found pretty dang close within a half a mile or so.

I think you are referring to the first major debris found which was the vertical stab and had been drifting on the surface for a week. The black boxes were in the aircraft remains at the crash site.

Back