How far to go for cross country time building?

darrell

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
darrell
So I have had my private ticket for a little over a year now, and ever since then my flights have consisted of a mix of short and long cross country flights, the shortest being 52nm, and the longest being 244nm (straight line, anyway). I'm basically just trying to build up time and experience before I start my instrument training (I'm also waiting for a time when I have a perfect balance of time at home, money available, and time off from work available).

My question to PoA-at-large, then, is what do you consider to be a good cross country distance for a low time pilot in my situation? One variable to consider is that I typically start a flight at sunrise, or very close to sunrise, and I want to be done either before lunch, or at least prior to 3pm. So I'd rather not be gone for longer than 8 hours. I'm flying a 180hp Archer, based out of KNIP (NAS Jacksonville), if that matters.

So should I be trying to go as far as I can in my self-alloted timeframe? Or is distance not the point, and I should be going for time? I did one cross country flight where I basically did a semi-circle over southern Georgia for just over 4 hours and "T&G'ed" 5 airports but never got more than about 90nm away from Jacksonville. Is that any better or worse than a 5 hour flight from Jacksonville to Naples, for example?

My next long-ish XC is planned to be from Jacksonville to Jack Edwards Airport in Gulf Shores, Alabama, to pick up a Jack's Aces t-shirt. I'm expecting this to take me 7 hour including the stopover in Alabama, which is about the limit of what I would want to do.

I would suggest mixing in longer trips where one leg is 1.5-2.0 hours or so. This gets you into some new to you spaces, airports, and ATC controllers. Also newer terrain.

My flight out to Dalhart, TX recently was very interesting since it was the first time that I went that far west and with the rising terrain, my cruise altitude was not that far from pattern altitude once I got there. Fun trip.

Longer trips give you a chance to practice a few more skills, such as navigation, radio work, flight planning and more.

You make it sound like tedious work. Why did you get a Pilot's license, to beat yourself up and suffer?

I've done lots - longest in a day distance wise has been just shy of 1,100 - longest time wise about 9 hours. Frequently I do 400-600 miles a day in a piston single for work.

You make it sound like tedious work. Why did you get a Pilot's license, to beat yourself up and suffer?

I don't make it "sound" like anything, you just read it that way. At any rate, I don't find it to be tedious work. For tedious work, I fly at night in the back of a helicopter, herding cats and hauling snapple.

And as for beating myself up and suffering, that's what I have PoA for!

So I have had my private ticket for a little over a year now, and ever since then my flights have consisted of a mix of short and long cross country flights, the shortest being 52nm, and the longest being 244nm (straight line, anyway). I'm basically just trying to build up time and experience before I start my instrument training (I'm also waiting for a time when I have a perfect balance of time at home, money available, and time off from work available).

My question to PoA-at-large, then, is what do you consider to be a good cross country distance for a low time pilot in my situation? One variable to consider is that I typically start a flight at sunrise, or very close to sunrise, and I want to be done either before lunch, or at least prior to 3pm. So I'd rather not be gone for longer than 8 hours. I'm flying a 180hp Archer, based out of KNIP (NAS Jacksonville), if that matters.

So should I be trying to go as far as I can in my self-alloted timeframe? Or is distance not the point, and I should be going for time? I did one cross country flight where I basically did a semi-circle over southern Georgia for just over 4 hours and "T&G'ed" 5 airports but never got more than about 90nm away from Jacksonville. Is that any better or worse than a 5 hour flight from Jacksonville to Naples, for example?

My next long-ish XC is planned to be from Jacksonville to Jack Edwards Airport in Gulf Shores, Alabama, to pick up a Jack's Aces t-shirt. I'm expecting this to take me 7 hour including the stopover in Alabama, which is about the limit of what I would want to do.

All the way across.

Just take your time, have a handheld GPS and sectionals and WACs.

I probably had 80hrs or so when I flew my plane across the country, just be sure to know when to tie her down and get a hotel :yes:

From Jacksonville? San Francisco or Seattle are good, probably should have an instrument rating to get to Anchorage this time of year but Fairbanks may still be ok if you avoid the coastal routing.

From Jacksonville? San Francisco or Seattle are good, probably should have an instrument rating to get to Anchorage this time of year but Fairbanks may still be ok if you avoid the coastal routing.

Good idea! My wife is from Seattle. Also, it would be interesting to fly where MSL and AGL are not effectively the same.

.... probably should have an instrument rating to get to Anchorage this time of year but Fairbanks may still be ok if you avoid the coastal routing.

Get IFR training in Jackson and fly in IMC in AK, probably in a non-FIKI aircraft and non-FIKI experienced pilot??

I'd wager he's better off staying VMC in the NW areas, even with his IFR ticket

Last edited:
Darrel, the benefit of doing longer XC is that you will encounter more issues, like weather, than if you stay local (all learning opportunities). Instead of focusing on distance, however, I would instead try to make each flight count as a training experience. For example, instead of hitting 5 uncontrolled airports in a XC, use controlled airports and always get flight following so you can practice your radio skills and get used to participating in the system. Set strict goals for maintaining altitude and headings within a narrow band (+/- 100 FT max). Focus on precise flying! These are the skills that will help you with your instrument ticket. You would be surprised how many pilots with lot of XC time still can't keep altitude within 100FT or heading within a few degrees. BTW, are you flying out of the flying club there? I was a member many moons ago and actually trained for my instrument ticket there. I keep my Mooney at Craig, but work for the depot at Cecil.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Get IFR training in Jackson and fly in IMC in AK, probably in a non-FIKI aircraft and non-FIKI experienced pilot??

I'd wager he's better off staying VMC in the NW areas, even with his IFR ticket

It's not that cold yet down low where the clouds have been hanging just rain and fog.

Good idea! My wife is from Seattle. Also, it would be interesting to fly where MSL and AGL are not effectively the same.

Go for it, it'll be a fun trip. Be in Seattle by Thursday and I'll fly home with you.:D

I've done lots - longest in a day distance wise has been just shy of 1,100 - longest time wise about 9 hours. Frequently I do 400-600 miles a day in a piston single for work.

No to one up you, but my longest day was Juneau to Laramie, WY. 1,500 miles. RV's are amazing time machines. That was a great day. I could have made it home in one day, but it was father's day and I stopped to see my daughter. :dunno:

You do not need the 50 hours of cross country before you start your IFR, just to take the checkride, so start it when you are ready. The training is invaluable.

As for your XC flights, do a variety of different flights. Change is good. Go to towered airports, non towered airports. Go to class D, and class C. I have never flown into a class B, but know a number of people who have, and it seems the experience is invaluable. I just have better things to waste my money on than on the typical $100+ landing fees that seem to be quoted. It is supposed to be fun, so do not fret on it and it will be fun.

BTW, are you flying out of the flying club there?

Yeah I'm currently flying out of the Jax Navy Flying Club. I hope to start my instrument training in a few weeks out of Herlong, I think....we'll see how the price haggling goes. ;)

As far as your money will take you.the longer the flight the more aware you will have to be,aside from watching weather you will need to plan fuel stops and food stops.Also be ready to deviate from your plan and carry a credit card for a motel.have fun be safe

I just took a compass and placed it on my home drome and drew the 50nm circle, then started flying to the airports outside that circle. Hit lots of different kinds, C,D, uncontrolled. Small as 1500 x 30ft, large as 12000 x 150ft.

My XC to Gastons one year (can't remember) taught me the follies of VFR long distance flying in the southeast in the summertime. I was in the plane starting instrument work that week.

Nearly every one of them taught me something.

So I had 35 xc hours last Friday and am working in IR. Saturday went with my instructor and we did a 2 hour xc with two approaches. Next weekend I will be going for a $300 brunch which will be another 2 hours. In three weeks flying to St Louis to visit my daughter which will be 6 hours round trip. My thoughts are to get a mix of things, but have fun and be safe.

And as for beating myself up and suffering, that's what I have PoA for!

Touche :)

As for your original post and being where you are I see three trips that I'd personally have planned and they would be Key West, the Atlantic coast and the Gulf coast. Sounds like you've already got the Gulf coast one planned. Key West would be pushing it for your 8 hour round trip restriction. I'd lighten up on that and plan some overnighters. The main thing is you want to make it fun, not just building time in a book.

After I got my PPL I immediately (within a month) headed out 1300 mile trip to Southern California. When I got back I began planning a 1700 mile trip to Miami and Key west. Over the first year I flew to Oshkosh, Sun N Fun, AOPA fly ins and built up a fair number of x-country hours rather quickly. I never took a trip just for the x-country hours. I always had a place I wanted to go.

My longest single day flight was from Grand Cayman Islands, Key-west, Tallahassee, Meridian, Wichita, KS for about 2000 miles mostly against head winds.

Last edited:
Back