• 1-2 hours

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • 3-4 hours

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • over 4 hours

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Under 4 miles and takes about 10 minutes door to door. If it's much further than that, I'll very likely move.

A good friend of mine has the best commute yet. I'm guessing in excess of 4500 miles and 3 months so far. Every time she catches up with the job and works for a weekend it moves hundreds of miles further down the road. My estimate based on the schedule is somewhere in the 10,000 mile range and October before getting back here.

I think this is something that each person needs to decide for themselves. It's a personal decision, but I'll tell you how it applied to me..

I have almost never commuted for more than 10-15 minutes each way to work. There were some very brief periods with 30-60 minute commutes with traffic, but those helped me realize the following....

You sleep for 8 hours a day. You work for at least 8 hours a day. That only leaves 8 hrs to consider your own time. This is your life, you only get to live once, and you will enjoy your free time much more when you are young.

So.. you are lucky you get 8 hrs a day to yourself.. Maybe... Which really isn't much. But then you cut in to that by a couple or three hours a day (of BAD quality time). That doesn't leave much. What's the point? To make a few more dollars or live in the burbs?? Is it worth it?? Certainly not to me!!

My bed to my office is about 16 feet. Sometimes it takes me an hour to get there though.

Me, too! Only it more like 75 feet, with the detour for the kitchen in between for my morning coffee.

When I take the train or drive to the alleged real office, it's 1 1/2-2 hours each way.

My current commute is 20-30 minutes each way depending on traffic. The shortest I've had was 10-15 and the longest was 30-40. For me the 10-15 was ideal. It was long enough to warm up the car and short enough to come home for lunch now and then. More importantly, when my office was less than 8 miles from home, the airport was closer to both home and office.

I've known a few folks who spend multiple hours on the road to and from work each day but I think that's nuts. With my life, a two hour commute twice daily would
eliminate anything but eat/work/sleep on weekdays. Life is way too short for that.

My commute is 30 steps from my bed to the computer, round trip (unless I'm on the road.) Prior to broadband at home, I used to drive 252 miles round trip 5 days a week for about 3 cars worth (about 7 years.) I now make the 252 mile journey once every other week. For my earlier jobs I rode my bike to work.

How long did this same commute take 10 years ago, Keith?

Really not too different.
I live out in the Eastern burbs, 15 miles outside the "circle" I-285. We still haven't gotten the uber-crazy development of the "other" counties. Heck, I live within earshot of a monastery. I hear the bells over there each day. I'd really like to live in Madison, Ga where the plane is. ~40 miles further out. The largest collection of original pre-war homes in the South. (That's War of Northern Aggression, of course :D)

I have been offered a new/old job and I really don't want to move again. The job is one I held about 6 years ago and they want me to come back. The pay offer is good and I could commute, but it would be a 3 hour drive round trip. The most I have ever commuted has been 2 hours round trip. So where do you fall in the commuting world?
Dean, Make conditional that your return establishes an office of the employer in your study, and that you will be permitted commuting expenses, to include GA.

See if they bite. You have nothing to lose.

Dean, Make conditional that your return establishes an office of the employer in your study, and that you will be permitted commuting expenses, to include GA.

See if they bite. You have nothing to lose.

I think they will go for the home office, but may balk at the GA expenses. The chairman of the board is a pilot, so I may get him on my side. Driving miles to office is 104 sm, flying miles to nearest airport is 68 nm and airport is 8 sm from office. I own a house 30 miles from the office, but really don't want to move back into it. The school district is not the best and the current renter wants to purchase it.

If he WANTS you he'll make you an offer.....offer to fully indemnify his company.

Really not too different.
I live out in the Eastern burbs, 15 miles outside the "circle" I-285. We still haven't gotten the uber-crazy development of the "other" counties. Heck, I live within earshot of a monastery. I hear the bells over there each day. I'd really like to live in Madison, Ga where the plane is. ~40 miles further out. The largest collection of original pre-war homes in the South. (That's War of Northern Aggression, of course :D)
I've been to that monastery a few times delivering hospice meds. It's an interesting place with some different kind of folks but certainly nice as one could ever want to meet.

I live about 3 miles from work... It's 7min by car, 15min by Bicycle and 50min walking.

Unless there is some reason to take the car (important errand at lunch time, afterwork appointment, RAIN) I use one of the other two options and save the gas money for the 2hr commute to the boyfriend.

Running about 45 to 60 minutes each way, just under 2 hours round trip. I figure it's costing me about $11 to do the round trip each day. Hopefully I'll get a second job closer to home in a few weeks that will thicken my wallet slightly.

Well Dean, i live 4 blocks from work so i would say about 15 min. Max. they are only 2 lights between.Hardest part is getting out of the alley to the street.
Dave G:blueplane:

In Milwaukee it's a doable 30 - 40 minutes each way.

When I lived in Lake County, IL and commuted by train to Chicago, door-to-door (drive to train station, 1 hr train ride, walk 1.1 miles to office) time was 1hr 40 min each way. It definitely got old after a while, but some people do it their entire careers and just live with it. That was before laptops and cell phones (the ancient '80's and early '90s) so I read a lot on the train. That was a good part of that commute.

Back