Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dean

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dean
I have been offered a new/old job and I really don't want to move again. The job is one I held about 6 years ago and they want me to come back. The pay offer is good and I could commute, but it would be a 3 hour drive round trip. The most I have ever commuted has been 2 hours round trip. So where do you fall in the commuting world?

Last edited:
Right now I have a half hour drive. My fiance has about at 70-75 minute drive. Most of the guys I work with live in the WV/NC area and commute to Maine...I don't think it's quite the same though.

20 miles each way. I take the "back roads" because it's more direct (straight shot east in the morning, west in the afternoon), relaxing, and I don't have to fight stop and go freeway crazies. At least I'm going a consistent 30-45 mph on the back roads, and my commute is a predictable 45 minutes each way (1.5 hours and 40 miles RT).

My bed to my office is about 16 feet. Sometimes it takes me an hour to get there though.

My office building is less than 3 miles from my house :D

I love it! My commute is 5 minutes on a bad day.

airport is about a 10 minute drive. longest i ever had was about a half hour drive to the airport when I was in Cedar Rapids. that was far enough.

30 mins total. 5-10 of that is just getting out of the hills (doesn't count).

I do not think I could/would go for a longer commute unless it was via train.

even with my 10 minute drive, im leaning pretty heavily towards starting to utilize the city bus, which would probably require a bout a total of 10 minutes walking and save me a crapload of gas. lousy lousy mileage in town

Right now, it takes about 15-20 minutes to get to work. When I lived in New Hampshire, I commuted 1.5 hours each way. That sucked.

Right now I use the train at about 40 mins each way. I'll be moving in a few months (after getting married) and switching to city bus, but I think the travel time will be just a smidge longer. It will be worse for my soon-to-be wife. In the new location she's looking at riding a combination of buses and trains and over an hour of commute time.

Depends 8 miles by mororcycle takes me about 15-20 minutes. about 10 miles by bicycle takes me 35-40 minutes.

Pete

40 miles each way, or about 2.5 hrs round trip. Which isn't in your options! (I chose 1-2 hours)

(The longest it's taken is about 5 hours of driving during a snow-storm. That was the day the Southwest 737 overran at MDW.)

My bed to my office is about 16 feet. Sometimes it takes me an hour to get there though.

yep, me too - only two days a week from home though. The remaining 1 or 2 days (depeding on the week) I have to drive into the office - about 25 minutes (well, there's not much traffic at 0300, about 25 miles)

26 miles round trip which is 2 hours.

What stinks is when I worked in Milwaukee my round trip commute was 160 miles and it was 3 hours round trip.

I work in downtown LA where all the freeways meet. The trip is under 15 miles but it takes ~30 minutes going and over 45 minutes leaving work due to traffic moving @ half the speed limit. The stop and go is more frustrating then the actual transit time. I could easily see myself commuting up to 1.5 hrs each if the price is right.

If I'm going to have to commute 2+ hours round trip they better be paying me from the time I leave my house, and not the time I check in. Basically pony up another 15k for every hour I have to commute.

If I'm going to have to commute 2+ hours round trip they better be paying me from the time I leave my house, and not the time I check in. Basically pony up another 15k for every hour I have to commute.
Not in this version of America have I ever heard anyone getting paid for their commute.

When I'm just going to the office in Manhattan, it's about 2:30 RT via two trains each way and a 1/2 mile walk to and from the train station here in Newark.
Not too bad; I've had worse commutes. At this point in the NYC area anyone who has to commute by car has my sympathy... it's hell. And $8 for the bridge and tunnel tolls between NY-NJ... and gas prices... yikes!!

I used to have a job where I wasn't paid for my grueling auto commute to the office in Westchester, but if I had to drive from there or home to a job site that was 50+ miles from that office, I'd get paid for mileage and my time.

Fortunately, I very rarely have to drive for this job, and they will reimburse me for mileage and time if I do.

My commute is about 26sm one way. Depending on the time I leave, it can take me anywhere from 30 mins - 1.5 hrs. Typically, I take a van-pool that leaves from a grocery store parking lot around the corner from my house at 6:15a, and drops me off across the street from my office at 6:45a. We leave from across the street at 4:00p and we're back at the grocery store at 4:35p, which puts me on my couch watching DVR'd Robot Chicken episodes from the night before by 4:45p. It's really a good deal, because it only costs me about $115/mo, which is far cheaper than it would cost for gas and tolls for me to drive myself every day.

23 miles each way
35 minutes to and 40 minutes from work.
No freeway to work and 3 miles of freeway home.
Wierd but thats the fastest way to do it. 10 years of commuting to this job as of week before last.
Not a bad ride considering Atlanta's reputation as commuter hell.

Not in this version of America have I ever heard anyone getting paid for their commute.

Not getting paid to commute perse, but said pay better be that much higher if I must commute.

16 miles each way, about 20 minutes. First half of it is fast back roads (highway speeds) and the second half is highway (also highway speeds). I only have to come to a complete stop once.

I would do a commute like that if the reasons were really worthwhile. Money and job satisfaction would be two musts, because you're going to be spending a lot of extra money on fuel for the commute.

I don't want to move, either. One example for me would be if I decided to go to graduate school full time, the school I would try to attend is close to an hour each way from my house. I would do that commute.

About an hour door to door to midtown Manhattan; 8 mins to the train, 31 mins to Grand Central, 12 min walk to 37th & 5th. Can't complain

Two blocks to the University straight down the same road. 5 minutes round trip. :D

I have to go up a flight of stairs so it's a little longer.

However I live an 45 minutes from anywhere so If I was still commuting I woul dbe looking at over an hour on a good traffic day.

The longest I put up with for any length of time was a little over an hour normal traffic.

I commute $15 round-trip. Subject to change with gas prices. :mad:

I had the luxury of knowing where I was going to be working when in the house-buying process, so I bought a place 2 miles from the university, near both a bus line (which goes to the university) and a bike trail (which also goes to the university). The plan from the beginning was to never have to drive, and it is awesome! In the winter I even ski to work.

I'd say a potential 3-hr commute sucks enough that ways of mitigating the suckitude are worth looking into, even negotiating with the new employer. Carpooling? Telecommuting once a week? 4-day workweek? Having a "crash pad" at the office if you'll be working late? Park n' Ride? Public transit?

--Kath

Ooops, hit the button before finishing reading - I thought it was one way. 1 hour 45 minutes each way. 15 minutes to the train, 10 minutes to buy coffee and paper, 1 hour 10 minutes on the train and 10 minutes walk to the office!

Longest ever - 2 hours each way - Weston CT to Times Square

Shortest ever - 15 min each way Sarasota FL.

Five miles, one corner of town to the other corner of town. It sure beats the hell out of driving forty miles to get to town before you drive 300 miles during the day for a living then at least the forty back home.

I drive about 25 miles to work, at least half of it on two-lane roads, which takes about 35 minutes. I've lived out here and done the same commute for about 15 years. Luckily I don't have too much trouble with traffic, partly because I live in the far outskirts of a metro area and partly because I commute at odd hours. A few years ago I considered moving closer but I've gone back to being content with my living arrangement for the time being.

23 miles each way
35 minutes to and 40 minutes from work.
No freeway to work and 3 miles of freeway home.
Wierd but thats the fastest way to do it. 10 years of commuting to this job as of week before last.
Not a bad ride considering Atlanta's reputation as commuter hell.

How long did this same commute take 10 years ago, Keith?

About 9-012 minutes each way.

even with my 10 minute drive, im leaning pretty heavily towards starting to utilize the city bus, which would probably require a bout a total of 10 minutes walking and save me a crapload of gas. lousy lousy mileage in town

You could buy a bicycle and ride it to work. That would save you some gas.

My trip is twelve minutes if I take my truck, but it is only twelve minutes on the motorcycle. That's one way.

Back