how easy is to poweroff/full plans grease land an arrow??

If you think it needed power, you just weren't steep enough is all.

It's always easier to drag it in under power.

Whether it's "easy" or not is hard to say, but proper speed control and proper use of trim makes a good landing. That said, you usually need a bit of extra speed and a deft touch to "grease" it on, although that's usually not the objective for me. I just want a tail-low, mains-first touchdown on my chosen spot with a reasonable sink rate just short of stall, and I don't at all mind a wee bit of a "thump". Because of the extra speed necessary for a "greaser", it's pretty easy to balloon it or bounce it (and that can get ugly) and very hard to control exact touchdown point.

Pretty easy to grease an Arrow on landing.

I am a big partial, though.

full plans?

What kind of Arrow?

Using the 45° rule does a pretty good job of giving you a successful power off approach. You may have to finesse it some to the type, but 45° gets you real close.

I think my Arrow has a 45 degree decent angle with the gear down, full flaps and no power.

Also it's a little easier to do a proper flare with some weight in the back.

I think my Arrow has a 45 degree decent angle with the gear down, full flaps and no power.

"Greaser"landings are a bit easier with partial flaps. As already mentioned it will require a higher approach speed than power on. The less flaps will let it float slightly longer so you have a bit more time to let it settle onto the runway.

Brian

Takes some different learning to flare the T-tail than the regular stab'd Cherokee's. Still can be done though.

:lol: Not close, not even in a Cherokee 6. Most planes will come down on around a 4:1 slope when slow and dirtied up for landing.

Ron, define reasonable sink rate?

Whether it's "easy" or not is hard to say, but proper speed control and proper use of trim makes a good landing. That said, you usually need a bit of extra speed and a deft touch to "grease" it on, although that's usually not the objective for me. I just want a tail-low, mains-first touchdown on my chosen spot with a reasonable sink rate just short of stall, and I don't at all mind a wee bit of a "thump". Because of the extra speed necessary for a "greaser", it's pretty easy to balloon it or bounce it (and that can get ugly) and very hard to control exact touchdown point.

I always pull the power to idle on short final. Well maybe not in a stiff crosswind.

Stay on speed, don't round-out early, don't round-out late :rofl: it'll land just fine.

Ground effect will save yer butt on the PA-28 airframe as long as you're close on timing for the round-out. The big stab on the later models is wonderful for keeping the nose up, just be close to the ground when the bottom falls out.

:lol: Not close, not even in a Cherokee 6. Most planes will come down on around a 4:1 slope when slow and dirtied up for landing.

Yeah yeah yeah, it just sure seems like it though.

It's not that difficult if you are familiar with the arrow. I owned one ,it was a great landing airplane.

Back