Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
Snippet from FAA accident reports today:

>>

IDENTIFICATION
Make/Model: C175 Description: 175, Skylark

DESCRIPTION
DURING LANDING THE FIREWALL FELL OFF AND THE INSTRUMENT PANEL WAS PULLED FORWARD

>>

The FIREWALL fell off?

I hadn't really thought that much about it before, but it seems like a whole lot of things would fall off before that would.

Matt

Matthew said:
Snippet from FAA accident reports today:

>>

IDENTIFICATION
Make/Model: C175 Description: 175, Skylark

DESCRIPTION
DURING LANDING THE FIREWALL FELL OFF AND THE INSTRUMENT PANEL WAS PULLED FORWARD

>>

The FIREWALL fell off?

I hadn't really thought that much about it before, but it seems like a whole lot of things would fall off before that would.

Matt

Along with the whole front end of the plane?!? LOL
(Landings are a common time for things to 'fall off' an aircraft...)

Last edited:
Dave Krall CFII said:
I hate it when stuff falls off like that, Dave! You suppose that's why CFI's try to teach students not to make hard landings? ;)

RotaryWingBob said:
I hate it when stuff falls off like that, Dave! You suppose that's why CFI's try to teach students not to make hard landings? ;)

More rarely but sometimes, extra things "fall onto" or are "gained" on landings for the aircraft -like brush tops & limbs.

Last edited:
Imagine the careless pre-flight: not noticing the firewall was loose....:D

-Skip

Dave Krall CFII said:

I guess this only qualifies as a "good" landing since the airplane probably wasn't re-usable after.

I thought on a " good landing" you walked away and could fly it the next time. Maybe you just have to walk away and get a new firewall before you can fly it the next time.:dunno:

Bob Bement said:
I thought on a " good landing" you walked away and could fly it the next time. Maybe you just have to walk away and get a new firewall before you can fly it the next time.:dunno:

You're thinking of a "great landing" when the aircraft is still reuseable!

How can the firewall fall off? Isn't that sort of like the wing falling off? I know on my airplane, it's such an integral part of the fuselage that if the plane was in that bad shape, other things would surely have fallen off first, like a wing or the horizonal stabilizer. This is so bizarre that I'm doubting it's veracity.

Judy

Back